Buying advice needed - G920 vs Thrustmaster TX

Hello Guys! I need some advice on which wheel to buy and was hoping to find some helpful input around here. :)

Currently I'm the semi-proud owner of a Logitech DFGT, playing exclusively AC on PC. Now I'm looking for an upgrade which should be usable with Xbox One for Forza as well. The two wheels I'm considering, as the title already gives away, are the Logitech G920 and the Thrustmaster TX Leather Edition.

Obviously in terms of FFB quality the TX is considered far superior, and the T3PA pedals of the Leather Edition are also pretty neat. What puts me off is the huge price difference. Currently I could get a G920 for 209€ (usual price when on special offer is even at 180€), while the TX Leather Edition costs 360€. The normal edition of the TX isn't an option, since my biggest complaint about the DFGT are the super crappy pedals, so i definitely would want the T3PA.

So my questions are: Do you think it is worth to pay (almost) double the price for the TX over the G920? How do the G920 pedals compare to the T3PAs? Is the FFB of the TX THAT much better that the price difference is justified? And what about the reliability of the TX? The internet is full of complaints of extremely early failures of TX wheels, and i really don't want to pay that much money for a product which almost certainly will fail, while the Logitechs are famous for their durability.

Thanks in advance for any helpful input and happy racing! :)

Having just upgraded from DFGT to T300 (TX with a different rim, prety much), I can say the FFB on the T300 is completely unlike anything I've expected coming from the DFGT, in a very good way. It has a completely different feel than the gears on the DFGT, it really feels like you're turning a steering wheel of a car, which is connected to real tyres. I'm very glad I didn't go for the G29 I was considering.

Also, the stock pedals are not that bad I think. They're definitely better than the DFGT pedals. I quite like the throttle. The brake is not exactly great and doesn't really feel progressive, but it's easily modded in a similar way to the conical brake mod of the T3PA's, which makes it much better. I quite like the pedals now that I've modded the brake to my liking, to the point where I wouldn't be considering upgrading them if not for the fact that I'd like to have a clutch pedal as well.

BTW while I absolutely understand the worries about reliability - I was in the same position and I still wonder if/when the wheel will fail, the stories are truly plentiful and scary - I'd say that claiming it's "a product which almost certainly will fail" is quite exaggerated. As is the famous Logitech reliability, incidentally - while the G25/27 tended to be quite reliable, the G29/G920 wheel seem to not be as great in this regard (as plenty of current Logitech products seem to be). And ultimately, I'd say it's not worth worrying over too much - if it fails, it fails and I'll deal with it. Meanwhile, I have an awesome wheel to enjoy, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Upvote 0
I would also go for the TX. After reading reviews and complaints over and over I took the chance and upgraded from a G27 to a TX back in March this year. Out of the box on day 1 , the left (down) paddle wasn't working so I contacted Thrustmaster and after a couple weeks they sent me another rim and everything was fine. Then earlier this week it completely died. No lights, no power, nothing. I have contacted them again and waiting for their replied but I can say that even if I am at my second claim in less than 4 months, I don't regret it. Even if I liked my G27, it is nothing compared to the TX. The FF is so much better and is worth every penny. At this point, even if I am a bit disappointed with the reliability of their product, their customer service as been excellent. In my own personal experience I would suggest taking a extended warranty if the store offers it. I did and I am covered for 3 years (2 extra years after the manufacture warranty expires). Again as far as the product itself goes, it is night and day with the Logitech products and don't regret buying it even after the problems I encounter.

Upvote 0
had a tx since release, its a good wheel for its price range but not sure i would recommend it. FFB feels much better than the G920 which i thought felt 'notchy' but my main problem with it is how unreliable it is, it was fine for about 13 months, then it started an intermittent problem where it cant be recognised by windows until its unplugged and plugged back in a couple of times.

Every time it self calibrates on PC startup it calibrates 2.5 degrees out (which is easily sorted by pressing 3 buttons together but annoying), and in the profiler software at full locks im only showing 95% rotation on screen. The fan sounds like an aeroplane taking off after 2 laps of Nordschliefe on AC without having the ffb high.

Im not familiar with the leather edition but i assume it comes with the 599 style wheel, the 458 one is awful its too small and just feels odd and cheap, good paddles tho. 599 style wheel feels much better but the paddles (at least on mine) are terrible the left paddle has never had clicked when used like the right paddle does so sometimes leaves you wondering if you've actually pressed it enough. I see you already have the T3PA's, if you can get the brake pedal plate from the 2 pedal pedalset its much wider, bolts straight on, feels better and makes heel and toe easier imo

Its a descent wheelbase its just extremely frustrating having to run through a set of procedures every time you use it just to make sure its working and pointing in the right direction

Upvote 0
Just to give a positive point: my T300 (almost identical to TX) is just 1 year old. I was also a bit worried when I bought it, but now I don't regret that I did! Never had any trouble, still running strong. And I did use it a lot this year! You always hear many more complains than positive; no point in posting when it is running fine! :)

Enjoy your wheel! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
You hear more complaints than positive because when something is wrong people need to complain. When all works fine, people are enjoying their toys instead talking about them :D

I own a T300 since a few months ago, with both leather and F1 wheels and is much better than my G25. Hope be lucky and don't suffer any of the problems people talk about

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years