Button to Debut in Super GT Suzuka 1000km

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Jenso Button Super GT.jpg

Jenson Button will make his Japanese Super GT debut at the Suzuka 1000km event in August, as he lines up behind the wheel of a Team Mugen Honda NSX-GT machine.

The British former Formula One World Champion has been enjoying his retirement in recent months whilst deciding on a program of competition, spending time behind the wheel of a World Rallycross car recently and of course stepping in for his former teammate Fernando Alonso at the Monaco Grand Prix.

However with his full time professional career closing out at the end of the 2016 Grand Prix season, Button has confirmed he will once again race in the Land of the Rising Sun as he takes part in the classic Suzuka 1000km Super GT event, partnering Japanese Super GT regulars Hideki Mutoh and Daisuke Nakajima.

“After driving an NSX Concept-GT at the Honda Racing Thanks Day last December, I became interested in racing in Super GT,” said Button.

“I spoke with Honda and they have given me the chance to race at the Suzuka 1000km. As an F1 driver and a member of Team Mugen, I will push to win.

“I am very much looking forward to racing in front of my Japanese fans again.”

With Button having somewhat of an affinity with the Japanese racing public he was understandably keen to be out racing again over in Japan, coupled with his and McLarens strong ties with the Honda brand the way was paved for JB to sample the car and commit to Japans toughest endurance racing event of the year.

Jenso Button Super GT 2.jpg

The Suzuka 1000km will be running in 2017 for the 46th and final time of its illustrious history, and as such both teams and organizers were keen to secure at least one 'big name' European signing to the starting lineup this year. Having already sampled the car during a Honda corporate day last year, Button will again be able to get behind the wheel, this time in anger, at an upcoming tyre test at the Japanese Grand Prix venue, where team and driver will begin the serious preparations as the look to achieve a good result and turn around an at times trying Super GT season.

For more Formula One news check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get yourself involved in the discussion!

Happy to see Button try his hand at GT racing? Would you like to see the Englishman compete full time in 2018, and if so in what series? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
Great to hear JB hasn't lost his thirst for racing, he would be welcome here in Oz in the V8 SuperCars, he could kick off in the new Super2 (aka Dunlop) series, then move up into the main game V8's. Reckon he would adapt to the Aussie V8 pretty quick, or maybe Honda could enter a Turbo NSX-GT with the coming Gen2 rules.:thumbsup:

That's pretty cool :D
I always thought SuperGT was one of those kinds of categories that very few actually know about (myself included), but is actually a really interesting series.

Yes I hadn't thought of that, Alonso gave Indycar a lot of good publicity, so hopefully Jenson will raise the profile of Super GT as well.

A series I've always followed because I have an FD RX7 (and supported the RE-Amemiya team when they were around).

A little more tricky these days due to lack of spare time, but I catch the races when I can.

I'm glad though he still has the desire to race and I think as these cars are almost prototype rather than GT he'll probably love driving them.

Good luck to him and I hope he decides to do more of them :thumbsup:

Ultra happy for me because it takes only one and a half hours to go to Suzuka from my home!
This will be first GT race for JB but I know he'll do well!
Kamui Kobayashi will race Suzuka 1000km too, so there is a possibility that
we can see battles between them like 2012 Japanese GP.

2017 Suzuka 1000km will have some drivers who you may know, for instance Heikki Kovalainen(2016 SuperGT champion), Augusto Farufus(DTM driver for BMW) and Jann Mardenborough(SIMRACER!), so it is really great
if you guys enjoy watching LIVE!

Oh you lucky sod!
I love RX7's :inlove:

:laugh: I suppose I need to put pictures up in the car gallery now...:)

It's pretty standard "on the outside" I just changed the exhaust to a full stainless one and a few other bits and pieces.

Awesome car though, yes a bit too hardcore for some I suppose but when the second turbo kicks in, it doesn't matter! :laugh::inlove:

Hope the Honda doesn't let him down, they haven't exactly had a great reliability record in Super GT or F1... otherwise I think it's great that more talented drivers are getting into Super GT, the racing's been pretty incredible already this year!

Love the Super GT series, both GT300 as GT500. Raced a lot with those cars in Gran Turismo, massive grip. I wish him the best of luck. A really down to earth, cheerful guy. Someone to take an example of in the racing world. Good possible career choice too. Apparently Honda hasnt got a good rep, but it seems Button doesnt really mind. If you are giving this great opportunity, would you refuse?
Also, one doesnt look at the mantelpiece when you park in the fire
EDIT : I meant "poke" in the fire.

Last edited:
:laugh: I suppose I need to put pictures up in the car gallery now...:)

It's pretty standard "on the outside" I just changed the exhaust to a full stainless one and a few other bits and pieces.

Awesome car though, yes a bit too hardcore for some I suppose but when the second turbo kicks in, it doesn't matter! :laugh::inlove:

I have few regrets over my lifetime....one being.... not buying the Silver with red interior "FD" I test drove, back in the day. It would have made an excellent replacement for my stolen, race prepped, Datsun 240z. The stupid decisions we make in our youth :rolleyes:.

At least the likelihood of a Honda NSX breaking down here is low, judging by their season.
jks....

Good luck JB, oddly I've taken a good liking in JB and his sportsmanship and gentlemenship. I hope he can do well in SGT.

I wonder how it would feel to go from a F1 prototype to a GT. Propably like stepping from a GT3 into a road car?

Probably but I would use the term "GT" loosely with this cars.

They are more of a LMP1/LMP2 car with GT bodywork on and seriously quick.

Their fastest lap(s) from Fuji this year were around the 1m 30.5s and the fastest 2016 WEC LMP2 was a 1m 31.7s so pretty rapid.

I remember when I used to watch races and some GT1's were entered into GT500 category (like the Maserati MC12 and Aston Martin DBR9) and they were nowhere performance wise compared to these cars.

I am agreeing with you, yes it will probably be like racing in slow motion to him, but they are a pretty rapid race car :):thumbsup:

Probably but I would use the term "GT" loosely with this cars.

They are more of a LMP1/LMP2 car with GT bodywork on and seriously quick.

Their fastest lap(s) from Fuji this year were around the 1m 30.5s and the fastest 2016 WEC LMP2 was a 1m 31.7s so pretty rapid.

I remember when I used to watch races and some GT1's were entered into GT500 category (like the Maserati MC12 and Aston Martin DBR9) and they were nowhere performance wise compared to these cars.

I am agreeing with you, yes it will probably be like racing in slow motion to him, but they are a pretty rapid race car :):thumbsup:
The Longtail McLarens had some success in the series in the early 2000s...but I guess that was probably before GT500 cars really got quick (though 90s GT1s were quicker than 00s GT1s).

That's pretty cool :D
I always thought SuperGT was one of those kinds of categories that very few actually know about (myself included), but is actually a really interesting series.
Problem with SuperGT there is zero coverage outside Japan... at least I never find any livestream and don't get me started on TV.
Anyway great to see Jenson in SGT hopeful now we get some coverage.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 322 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 456 39.3%