Button Boxes

Brian Clancy

Premium
Okay Guys..

I'm gonna start this thread off with some details of my latest atempt at a button box :cool:. 100_1073.jpgI made this stand alone panel out of some 3mm perspex sheet, it utilises a Leo Bodnar BU0836 USB 'joystick' controller to connect the buttons and rotary encoders to the PC. Once all the holes were drilled, the panel was trimmed with a 3M made Dry Carbon look Vynil. Its suprisingly realistic and looks even better than it does in the pics!:cool:
All the switches are readily avilable from E-bay as is the 20x4 LCD panel and not as expensive as you might at first think!

100_1075.jpg Its suprising how helpful it is not having to look for buttons on the keyboard mid race as the switches on the button box fall to hand much easier! If enough people ask, I will write a comprehensive tutorial

Not quite on over at my side. Young one is tuning her voice for attention n fasting this month is starting to take its tall. Have no fear Brian, I am gonna start shooting questions like there is no tomorrow very soon.

Upvote 0
lovin this new Hardware section Brian keep up the good work m8 :D

been reading up on your button box tutorial & hope to start mine very soon, i see you have a LCD display on the one you posted, will you be covering that in future tutorials?

thx Nigel

Upvote 0
Hi Nigel and thanks:D

I'm very much enjoying running this new section as Sim Hardware is a big part of the simracing attraction to me!:cool: I do hope to get into the LCD displays as there are HUGE possibilitys for them including wheel mounted displays etc........BUT there are a number of compatability issues with suitable USB controllers (Serial controllers are tbh, beyond most normal people needing soldering and some knowledge) but there may be light at the end of the tunnel! Stay tuned lol:)

Upvote 0
Update:

Bought a few stuff. Mostly knobs(erhhh). I especially liked this one which lights blue when its on.

We will soon finish the month of Ramadhan, Brian be ready for some n0000b questions. :tongue:

Brian whats ur recommendation on these at fleebay - Item

Attachments

• Blue Button.JPG
    Blue Button.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 223
  • Mixed Knobs.JPG
    Mixed Knobs.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 236
Upvote 0
Hi Abdul:D

Those switches look ok, but they are cheap plastic bases..........worth a try at that price, but THESE look 100% better, look at the lugs the wire solders to and the quality overall.... I have always been disspointed with cheaper switches tbh, although if they are for a button box rather than a wheel, they may well be fine, woth a punt at .99p :tongue:

Upvote 0
Ok, back from hols, very relaxing!! Now to start my build, yeah! Quick question for you though Brian, I'm assuming your gluing your pieces of perspex together? If so what with and how? Just ordred all my stuff from Leo Bodnar and couple of bits and pieces from ebay. Sorely tempted by the knitter switches but I'm looking to get as many as the SLI-Pro will allow so they are a bit pricey.

Edit: One other thing. What size allen key bolts would you suggest and what are you using for spacers when mounting the SLI-M/Pro?

Upvote 0
Okay guys:cool:

To answer the glue question, I use a HOT GLUE GUN (tis in the TUTORIAL guys:wink:) its pretty darn handy. It melts the perspex slightly, so almost 'welds' the join, is easy to use, sets quickly. But araldite is good too, much slower setting tho.

ADVICE: TEST your glue/bonding agent on some offcuts FIRST! You WILL be upset if the glue reacts with the perspex and 'melts' it, ruining the piece you have spent ages making! you have been warned lol!

Bolts, spacers: I just use some teny tiny tinsey wincey ikkle bolts in my hardware jar :cool:, errr, that dont help much tho do it? M2 fine if memory serves (No garantee tho lol) and suitable washers to 'pack out' as spacers!

Upvote 0
Okay guys:cool:

To answer the glue question, I use a HOT GLUE GUN (tis in the TUTORIAL guys:wink:) its pretty darn handy. It melts the perspex slightly, so almost 'welds' the join, is easy to use, sets quickly. But araldite is good too, much slower setting tho.

ADVICE: TEST your glue/bonding agent on some offcuts FIRST! You WILL be upset if the glue reacts with the perspex and 'melts' it, ruining the piece you have spent ages making! you have been warned lol!

Bolts, spacers: I just use some teny tiny tinsey wincey ikkle bolts in my hardware jar :cool:, errr, that dont help much tho do it? M2 fine if memory serves (No garantee tho lol) and suitable washers to 'pack out' as spacers!

I read everything and didn't spot the glue gun bit, doh! I've read elsewhere people suggesting a glue gun but they also mention making sure you get the right glue stick for the gun. That inportant in your opinion?

Upvote 0
I read everything and didn't spot the glue gun bit, doh! I've read elsewhere people suggesting a glue gun but they also mention making sure you get the right glue stick for the gun. That inportant in your opinion?

Errrr, I'm just using the big box of sticks that came with my Aldi £10 super duper value glue gun:cool:
They work lovely! But like I said a couple of posts ago TEST on some scrap BEFORE you work on your 'masterpiece' loool

Upvote 0
I few bits n pieces on there way..:)

I'll use the perpex for the wheel mod hence buying the box for the buttons.

Attachments

• 129936127_tp.jpg
    129936127_tp.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 223
  • box150.jpg
    box150.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 243
  • 147276345_tp.jpg
    147276345_tp.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 320604581_tp.jpg
    320604581_tp.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 469
  • cables.jpg
    cables.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 218
Upvote 0
Hi Matt

E-bay is best for buttons :) You can assign almost ANY function to the button box, boost, brake bias, headlights, seat position, list is endless. Just remember to buy MOMENTARY type buttons (the sort that only stay on whilst you hold the button on)

Upvote 0
That could be a good starter and when ever you need more buttons you can just use the other buttons for other stuff then you could also get some papper or something else where you write down what diffirent button is for just to make it look more realistic. (althought it is realistic..)

Is it possible to add lights on this box which will start flashing when for example the engine is overheating or your tires need to be changed?

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years