Building my Own f1 wheel MP4-26 inspired

Hello folks,

Some months ago i started working on an old simracer dream that i have.
I want an f1 cockpit replica, with wheel and pedal set as close as possible as the real thing.
I started with the steering wheel design process since it is the the most sourced (infos) thing of the whole project.
I'm an "IT guy" but my shool background is more about technical drawings, automatism and machining, but this was 20-25 years ago :p.

My wheel project is inspired by the Mclaren MP4-26 steering wheel and based on an SLI-Pro since the SLI-f1 seems to be abandoned or at least delayed to nowhere :p

It will come with :

9 Buttons
2 Toggle Switchs
4 Shifting pads
2 Analog pads (for clutch or anything else ^^)
6 Rotary switches (its missing on from the real thing but sli-pro only manages 6 if i'm correct).

The design is almost complete, most of the parts have been modelled including switchs, rotary swith or encoders, this will prevent bad surprises when I will send the cad files for machining and assembling the whole thing after that :p.

A lot of polishing to do, i hope to be able to have my first wheel around July or August 2013 as well as the pedal set which the design as not been started yet.

View attachment 36939
9bis.jpg
10bis.jpg
11bis.jpg

looks great. Only thing i would add is a screw behind one of the clutch paddles.
that way you can simulate the clutch like they do in real life where one is only disengaged 50-60% or whatever the number might be.
Perfect launches every time :)

Upvote 0
Hi Hampus, do you mean some kind of limitator that can can fine tune ? thats a great idea !
yea sort of but in a very caveman style way. The optimum would be a software that only allows the left paddle to disengaged 60% of the clutch while the other side allows 100% of the clutch disengaged.

But with a screw that you can screw in and out you can set it "manually" sort of by only allowing the paddle to be pulled in so much.

So the theory is that you make various launches in practice mode for that track (since most sims run static environments) and figure out what´s the best launch for that track and simply set your screw to the length needed and boom, perfect start.

It´s not just for F1 cars but any car really.
I guess you could do it by feel (like ok this is where the sweet spot is) but it would be much easier just resting it on a screw if that makes any sense.

Upvote 0
I don't think this is actually used as such, What if you catch the car in a spin and want to prevent it from stalling with the wheel fully turned to the right. Just get used to what roughly should be the sweetspot, sadly the clutch simulations in the current sims suck for now anyway.

Upvote 0
I agree, current clutch physics are not great.
With your comments William i'm now thinking about making something that could be desengaged easely.
Your take our start and then desengage the "clutch limitor".

Upvote 0
As far as I know that so-called clutch limitor is something Hampus just invented to make things easier ;)
It exists in Formula One but it is electronically controlled.
This is the manual version of the system if you like.

Another option would be to have a computer program that only allows whatever percentage you set it too so you could pull it all the way back and still only get x%.

But anyway, nice idea i thought sorry for off-topic, wheel looks amazing

Btw, any plans on selling these? I think there could be a market for one.

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting, I knew that one before. Have you actually watched it yourself? Because all David is explaining is how to operate the two clutch pedals, he says nothing of the thing you were referring to, since both pedals do "exactly the same thing". Maybe you misunderstood the 'preset' clutch position David is referring to, in this context.
The clutch bite point can be pre-set, but in this instance, it's the left hand keeping the pedal at the 'ideal 'position which he is referring to.

Remydio
Do you know what the purpose is of the dual shifter pedals?

Another thing. If you are actually going to use the lifeline quickrelease, try and find actual measurements of the spline. I thought it was 20mm as that is a standard use by many quick releases, but I purchased one for another brand which also uses a 20mm spline, but that part of the spline which attaches to a steering column for example, was only 16mm.

How are you going to produce everything btw?

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting, I knew that one before. Have you actually watched it yourself? Because all David is explaining is how to operate the two clutch pedals, he says nothing of the thing you were referring to, since both pedals do "exactly the same thing". Maybe you misunderstood the 'preset' clutch position David is referring to, in this context.
The clutch bite point can be pre-set, but in this instance, it's the left hand keeping the pedal at the 'ideal 'position which he is referring to.
I think you are the one miss-understanding what he´s saying in the video.

Both clutch paddles are pulled in fully but one is programmed at half the engage since it´s a two-stage clutch.
You release one to get the car rolling, half of the clutch is disengaged, then as you pick up speed you release the other one.

Upvote 0
That is not as how I see it, again, what if you spin out? They'll pull whichever clutch paddle is easiest to reach to prevent the car from stalling, if one would always be at the sweet spot when fully pulled, wouldn't that almost always result in a stall in these kinds of situations?

You can even see David only pulling it at about 2/3 instead of all the way.

if you have a proper source then fine, the next step would figure out how we could achieve the same using the SLI-pro or SLI-F1 ;)

edit:
Regardless of how the clutch works, electronically, how can the functionality of two 2 inputs controlling the same axis be achieved? Any ideas on this?

edit2:
same discussion here:
http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9835

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%