BTB Version 0.7 Beta Testing Phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendon Pywell

Bob's Track Builder
Hi Guys,

For v0.7 I have made a significant change to the way BTB saves and loads your projects. The XML file was getting too large, and as some will have noticed it consumes a lot of memory just to load and interpret a large file.

The new format is in binary, consumes much less space and is faster to save and load. But it's also not easy to read/edit in a text editor so it's crucial that I get this save/load routine perfect.

The latest version should be mostly free of bugs. Please report any problems in this thread. Sorry the help file hasn't been updated yet.

You can get the latest BETA version here ... http://www.bobstrackbuilder.net/pro_users/beta_test.aspx. Please read the page very carefully.

The dropping of the XML format is a matter of practical need rather than desire. Aside from being slow, on large projects it simply fails to load due to the memory requirements required when parsing the file. I'll explain more soon.

Actually I was surprised that you even started out using XML since file sizes
were going to be so large. I'm sure that the plug-in solution will be an even
better solution to current add-ons once it's implemented.

Alex Forbin

I cant select the shed what is in orig. xpack. All other tested objects working fine.
I need to point specific locations like edges to select shed.
In 0.6 version i can select by clicking on it anywhere without problem

Edit: removed confusing part, sorry

"New objects (lights, trees) don't show up after placing, but show up in game. All old objects work fine."

Here is a snapshot of the problem

BTB View
BTB_snap_object.jpg

Simed View
Simed_snap_object.jpg

Not sure if this has been mentioned, or maybe it's in the full release but moving of a wall shape surface now no longer moves the shape surface on screen, it's when you let go of the mouse that it updates the image, therefore lining objects up can be alittle more difficult seeing as you can't see the moving of the wall surface in 3d views..

Hope that made sence..

Again not sure if this has been rasied or in the fix.. Terrain does not line up to track points, current track I have been working on now shows areas of terrain not filled, when I delete terrain and do again it still misses some of the points on the track (a gap between points into a triangle), you have a fix for overlapping thats great (didn't have any anyway) but is it possible to add a tick for missing terrain points ??

I mean it graps the track points, just doesn't fill between the points in some areas, even adjusting the track and re-doing terrain does not fill the gap..

Hope that explains it, happy to supply project or image as example.

Thanks, if possible could you upload the Venue, stripped of everything but the track?

Here you go.., everything removed as requested.. I find the problem with my current terrain (which was fine) and redoing it has the same spots blank of terrain.. Inside of pitlane (inside track), going around 1st corner, also on the pitlane inside..

Did notice it on a part of the track but managed to fix that before coming across these other problems where I couldn't fix.

I have also noticed that while trying to move some 3d objects (trees, or whatever) that you have to get in really close just to select the objects, nothing else around it and it's still the same, I couldn't even move more than 1 on this one occasion..

Venue File for Piddy

Hi Radar,

The main issue I think is concerned with the spacing of your Track Nodes, they are not very regular. Some are very close to each other, then there are big gaps between others. The track/terrain becomes twisted mathmatically, but you don't see it in the mesh because the panel sizes mean that there is usually only one panel in the tight parts.

Picture here is your track with a few more nodes added so you can see how they are more evenly spaced.

Ideally you should be using far less nodes which will make the rest of your track building a lot easier.

Use Nodes to give the track a general shape, then Surfaces to fine tune that shape where needed.

Attachments

• GoodCardinal.jpg
    GoodCardinal.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 226
Hi Radar,

The main issue I think is concerned with the spacing of your Track Nodes, they are not very regular. Some are very close to each other, then there are big gaps between others.

So at the pit straight and into the 1st corner this would be the case ??

Ideally you should be using far less nodes which will make the rest of your track building a lot easier.

Use Nodes to give the track a general shape, then Surfaces to fine tune that shape where needed.

The problem I found especially when the data was taken from gps is that it has so many changes and bumps, so correct me if I am wrong but taking them out will remove any changes in the road, the other areas (mainly main straight and back straight) where hardly any changes I took some nodes out..

Doesn't explain why it worked for version 5 and 6 but not fill the gaps for 7.. I had issues with 6 originally with see through walls etc but that was the double sided issue so apart from that what you have is version 6 which has no terrain issues..

I'm hoping that I don't have to redo the track (take out or add nodes) just to fix a problem I didn't have in 5 or 6, it might be a bit of a mess yes but this is my first one (you could probably tell with the nodes lol ).

Cheers for looking at it but is it possible to fix this problem as I am sure I won't be the only one when others convert their tracks.

...Doesn't explain why it worked for version 5 and 6 but not fill the gaps for 7.

The venue won't load for me in 0.6 because at least the background file is missing so I can't compare. Looking at my dev notes, theres been no changes to the terrain so I'm not expecting it to act any differently. The reason the track folds under itself now would be the same under 0.6.

Do you have this project backed up as used in v0.6?

objects disapear in btb

When creating objects, example with lasso tool and go to edit page, and select one lassoed group and delete it, the rest of the objects disapear in btb but are visible in game (rbr).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%