BTB track scale problem

I discovered a strange problem with BTB scale. When I import KML track to the BTB, I see, that same distance is different than in my video and BTB. The same route at various times. Route is like stretched in length. Turn is too long, otherwise than in reality. My path is about 14 kilometers, the road width of 3 meters and it was in my project. I have carefully made according to map the track curves. However, I get the result that the driving machine is like too small in RBR. But its size is normaly in game, only road is to stretched in length. Track lenth in car dashboard is right, but when driving I feel that road is not right. What is the problem?

With google earth, most of the pictures are taken at an angle, If you looking at a road on a hill, elevation changes will look like turns. This could be what your stretched in length issue is related to. Here is an example. Lets say this model is the real world, you can see looking straight down that it looks as it should , but when I go into 'satellite' view and look again, you see it now looks like a twisty road.

Attachments

• satelliteview.jpg
    satelliteview.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 244
  • actualview.jpg
    actualview.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 218
I think - in general - kml's are not accurate. Elevations neither.
Laser scanning - the solution if you can afford it ;) Just kidding!
If you have good photo/video documentation I would rather use it to make corrections. Then, rbr is still the game, so there are also things that are not equal to real world.

Yes, I try this, but more of GPS devices (mine too) is not have good height precision and writing speed... But problem is not right track configuration, but track length. I know that track length is 14 Km, in BTB it is 14 km, too. But feeling, when driving on, that going on 24 km (more or less)

I had this problem and found the best solution was to also take a screen shot from Google Earth and then import that into BTB. Then I could move the nodes around slightly to try and correct segments that were a little off from the KML file.

Satellite images are often not exactly there, where they have to be. As you can see in your second image. Therefore you HAVE to make a compromise.

For me best thing is doing a path in GE and then study some pictures/videos/personal-venue-visit (when available) regarding the heights.

After all the track should be exact in a way, which should be acceptable.
But you can't get it 100% perfect!

The only way that really works: digitize a topographic base map (or get a file) made with total station (topographical survey).

Don't know how it goes on Lithuania, but here there are those maps available by the government (for some cities) for free or at low costs.

Once you get on of those, you may extract your path's accurate XYZ table using AutoCAD or 3Ds Max.

Sorry, but Google Earth or GPS tracking are not enough to rebuild a decent track. First of them, because of non-ortographic photo and poor elevation data. Second one, mostly because the bad elevation data only.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 164 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 280 13.5%