BTB Rendering x Gmotor2 x 3DSimed

I'm trying understand some differences between BTB rendering method, 3DSimed and RFactor (or GTR2) engine itself.

Cannot figure out how some transparent textures edges are rendered on those methods. For instance (look at dirty grass next the wall)

3DSIMED:
3dsimedg.jpg

BTB:
btbj.jpg

IN GAME RENDERING (Gmotor2):
ingamer.jpg

It looks like DDS edges are more to BTB than 3DSimed method. 3DSImed shows texture nice, but in-game and in BTB it's blurry and crapped. I could't realize which texture's property would provide a better transparent texture, becoming it sharper. The in-game effect is too bad for visual purposes. Mip map bias doesnt appear to impact edges significantly.

Some clues are wellcome.

When you make any transparent trees or grass make sure the background colour is close to the colour of your trees or grass when using alpha.

Attachments

• evergreen1.jpg
    evergreen1.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 277
What you guys are seeing is edge pixels blending beyond the alpha channel's edges in chroma transparency materials. In ISI's 3D Studio MAX tools you can set the amount of edge pixel blend, however in BTB you can't change it - its hard coded. This issue cropped up a while back and Piddy fixed it in an update so that there was zero edge pixel blend. Unfortunately the issue seems to have crept back in since v8. I'm hoping Piddy will either release a patch or fix the problem in v9.

To work around the problem I've had to edit the alpha channels for all textures that use chroma transparency. I've made the alpha channel's edges contracted back about 3 pixels.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back