Brown Expects to Manage Alonso-Vandoorne Rivalry

alonso vandoorne rivalry.png
Zak Brown expects to have to manage the rivalry between Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne, though he doesn’t think the teammates will be too focused on beating one another this season.

Both drivers get on well now, and Brown believes they will priorities their own racing and helping McLaren to develop, the team’s aim for the season.

“I think they’re going to work well together to drive the team forward and, while we all know teammates want to beat each other, they want to beat everyone else, so I don’t think either of them are going to be too excited about beating their teammate if they’re 8th and 9th,” Brown told Marshall Pruett. “I think they’re primary focus is about getting to the front of the field and then worrying about each other.”

He doesn’t expect McLaren to be racing at the front of the field until 2018 at the earliest and, for now, thinks the drivers will focus on pushing one another, and the team, forward.

After that, once the team are at the front, could be a different matter though.

“I don’t think [the healthy relationship] will change but, as we all know in motor racing, most of the teammates get to each other. I’m looking forward to the competition between them and I’m looking forward to managing through some inter-team rivalries which, no doubt, we’ll have, which is going to keep things healthy.”

Trying to manage inter-team battles is something Brown’s predecessor, Ron Dennis, had plenty of experience with and something Brown will be hoping he is a little more successful at if Alonso’s next battle with a rookie teammate is as difficult as his last.

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Do you think Stoffel vs Alonso could be one of the great teammate rivalries? And if so do you think Brown will be able to manage it? Let us know in the comments below!

McLaren will be better than last year, we just don't know how much better. Honda have made improvements across the board, their Indy engine is better, their Moto GP engine is better, their NSX engine is pretty decent, and now their F1 engine will be much closer to the front. If the chassis is up to snuff, we'll see them get closer to the front, and to be honest I'm enjoying watching them level up.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back