British MPs Call for Bahrain GP Cancellation

I've got something actually on topic (Steam regarding the situation has been let off)

Last year it was silent all weekend. No fans in the stands, no bustling in the paddock. I think the only Bahraini I saw was dressed in a white robe and was related to the Prince.

So. Isn't a Grand Prix about prestige, glamour and showing off your nation/city to the world?

Bit embarrassing having not one fan in the stands isn't it?

Red+Bull+Formula+One+driver+Sebastian+Vettel+(C)+of+Germany

these are from 2012 as well i believe.

F130DaysLP2.jpg

F130DaysLP1.jpg

Think the official attendance number was 28,000 while the maximum is 40,000.

+1 Chris. This GP missed soul in all previous years imo.

28,000 for a F1 GP aren't good numbers at all. Host a F1 race on Zandvoort in The Netherlands with normal ticket prices and you would see 200,000 spectators at the gates with only a part of them having access via a ticket :)

But no, lets grab more oil dollars in the desert.

Well, the photo's look to prove the fans are there. It was not presented that way, or should I say it did not look that way on TV.

At least in other countries where the interest might not be great you can have a large fanbase travelling from surrounding nations.

Look at Canada. The GP isn't actually all that popular these days (with the hippies and all that :p) but people travel from all across America to see it. Same with Korea, despite what people might say, they got a big crowd in 2012, around 80% of tickets sold. Even Jenson said ''Cut Korea some slack, there were far more fans than it appeared on TV'' Well Yeongam is a town of 35,000, so around 50,000 people travelled, likely from surrounding asian countries.

Now.....Who wants to go to Bahrain?

Whatever politicians from other countries say, and whatever the Bahrain royalty say, if they want to get fans in and present a better image to the world they are evidently not going the right way about it, nor have been for the last three years.

This is now the 3rd year we've all had this conversation, and to be honest, I don't think I can be bothered with the Bahrain debate anymore, completely takes away from the anticipation of those lights going out. Getting the race off the calender would be a relief, and I don't think I've said that before. Happy, disappointed, angry, Over the moon, indifferent, I've felt all those things when a certain track has been dropped, but never pure relief that we can just forget about the bloody Bahrain Grand Prix crap.

Now my opinion might not matter, but Bernie's showing signs of getting just as bored as I am, so we'll soon see how he feels about the matter I believe.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back