Breaking: Multiplayer coming next week!

I am ready and waiting....

bald-chimpanzee.jpg

Impressive, man.

Is any of you guys planning to start a League, for real?

I am a newcomer to simracing but I'd like to race seriously if possible. Heard to much about trolls on sim racers, even if I never raced online yet (I'm scared...)
I would love a beginners league. I have a T500rs etc but frankly I'm not in the same league (pun intended) as others with the same kit or even less as I'm just not as practiced online or in real life nor do i have the time.

Some guys live on the track or in iRacing. I don't think I'd have much fun racing them & I don't think they would appreciate racing me on tracks they could travel blindfolded. I spend my traveling time on the bus so the only chance I have of practice is to hijack it.

Is there any love out there for a learners league or other forms of pre-arranged racing system on RD based on self ranking from noob to Senna?

I would love a beginners league. I have a T500rs etc but frankly I'm not in the same league (pun intended) as others with the same kit or even less as I'm just not as practiced online or in real life nor do i have the time.

Some guys live on the track or in iRacing. I don't think I'd have much fun racing them & I don't think they would appreciate racing me on tracks they could travel blindfolded. I spend my traveling time on the bus so the only chance I have of practice is to hijack it.

Is there any love out there for a learners league or other forms of pre-arranged racing system on RD based on self ranking from noob to Senna?
I could dig a beginner's league. I don't think I'm bad/slow, but also not on par with the people that would be racing the mainstream leagues. If it turns in to an actual thing, I'd be glad to help with what I can.

The type of wheel you have has nothing to do with how skilled you should be. There are many very fast people using very affordable wheels. The quality of the wheel/pedals/shifter simply determines the type of experience you will get. Some people prefer a more realistic feel for better immersion and that generally means more expensive components but that doesn't make anyone a better driver.

@Juris your post sounds like a perfect match for the Driver Academy we are organizing in the premium member forums: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/forums/premium-driver-academy.84/

Maybe follow an AC Driver Academy session and I am sure we have you up to speed in no time.

Also the clubs are a good ground to work on your online skills.

Last but not least: leagues itself aren't only for alien drivers but for gentlemen drivers, the latter is not speed dependent :)

The type of wheel you have has nothing to do with how skilled you should be. There are many very fast people using very affordable wheels. The quality of the wheel/pedals/shifter simply determines the type of experience you will get. Some people prefer a more realistic feel for better immersion and that generally means more expensive components but that doesn't make anyone a better driver.
That was the point I was making in a roundabout way (perhaps very poorly, sorry). Its not what you have its who you are & how much you play (& most importantly enjoy).

Stick a Frex in front of me & it won't make me better. Playing against real humans in MP will help any player get the most out of themselves but I reckon a skill-matched system is the best way to avoid intimidating new racers & annoying the Aliens.

@Bram Hengeveld Cheers Bram I'm definitely up for that.

Being an aussie im slightly worried that they are mentioning Italian servers, I of course will try it but if my latency is massive I don't want to destroy anyones race by glitching all over the place. I guess we will see.
On the flip side if you are playing with other Aussies etc in the evening the server load in Italy will be much less during their morning. Could work out quite well.

That was the point I was making in a roundabout way (perhaps very poorly, sorry). Its not what you have its who you are & how much you play (& most importantly enjoy).

Stick a Frex in front of me & it won't make me better. Playing against real humans in MP will help any player get the most out of themselves but I reckon a skill-matched system is the best way to avoid intimidating new racers & annoying the Aliens.

@Bram Hengeveld Cheers Bram I'm definitely up for that.

Oh yea I agree, I just didn't want you apologizing for your sim equipment as if you weren't worthy or something. Your sim equipment choice is based on how much realism you prefer and probably to a great degree, what you can afford, otherwise a lot more of us would be running Bodnar's, Frex's and ECCI's.

I love the idea of a Rookie League (beginners league sounded kinda lame to me ;)) only problem I see is getting drivers on track for the practice sessions, theirs alot of keen rookie drivers out there, and bound to be many more getting involved when AC's V1.0 is released.

But one of the biggest issues with MP is getting full grids, regardless of the title or series, they always start out well, but "die in the arse" very quickly, there's probably a number of reasons for it. If an RD AC Rookie League is put together, I am hopeful that it will get the long term support it deserves, as RD has always put in the BIGGEST effort to accomodate all the sim titles with leagues, but if you take a closer look at the attendance for those leagues, it's very poor indeed. which must be very disheartening for the organisers and staff.

"IS THIS FAIR"??? Noooooooooo it's not!!!

Sorry for ranting, but it's a fact. If ya sign up, show up.

Maybe a small fee should be payed, then drivers would show up.

I was wondering. Do you really need a very good ping to race online? I guess you don't need as low ping as you need for say playing counter strike. And I guess it also depends on the netcode. What do you guys think?

quite the opposite actually ;)
from a ravsim Interview with Stefano on netkarPro http://ravsim.com/2012/08/27/stefano-casillo-on-netkar-pro-part-2/:
Jon Denton: So the online code came in for a lot of flak, my personal experience was that it worked ok if there were low pings, but if you wanted to race someone in the US, forget it. This seemed to be the biggest complaint in the community. What went wrong?

Stefano Casillo: Netcode is hard, very hard, it’s very asynchronous, so very hard to test. To test it properly you’ll have to ring somebody in the US. The internet is the least reliable network in the world, sadly, and this makes netcode such a hard thing to do. It’s totally unreliable and, even if it is reliable you still need to guess where a car is now based on information that is 200ms old. 200ms dont sound that much, but at 150kmh your typical high speed corner velocity you can be anywhere in a circle of 8 meters. Hence, if it goes wrong you see cars inside cars, and flying bouncing chaos. So when people complain of a ghost collision showing me a screen shot saying “look there was some good 2-5 cm between me and him” I can only lol.

Jon Denton: Yes, it’s an incredibly difficult thing to get right. Not helped by bigger development teams like ISI and Papyrus doing it so well.

Stefano Casillo: I have profound respect for my competitors in this area because what games like iRacing and rFactor do with netcode is truly an amazing achievement. It’s not a subject covered in literature, there may be lots of information out there about the Quake 3 netcode, but come on, that’s easy-easy-easy compared to a car.

Jon Denton: Indeed. No one wants to run around in Quake inches from each other.

Stefano Casillo: Your typical FPS character is moving at constant speed, a race car not only is NEVER at a constant speed, it’s not even at constant acceleration! It’s a software nightmare materialized I am telling you!!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back