F1 2011 Brakes or Downshift?

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
Being a complete novice, this may be a silly question, but on some corners (ps3) I brake and on some I downshift to try and keep up momentum going into the apex.

Is downshifting gears in this situation seen as ba driving?

I don't think its bad driving as long as you can maintain good exit speed and not understeer too much. I do that a lot in Silverstone and at the Suzuka S's. Again, It depends from player to player and everyone has a different style. You must be a little careful when you are on heavy fuel during the race. If the entry speed is too much you might easily lose a place or a couple of tenths. Best thing is try out different styles in free practice modes and adopt the one in which you don't lose too much time. :)

To me you just do what you have to do to get the car into the correct gear and speed for the corner. Usually this means braking and down shifting combined. However Prithvi has highlighted 2 tracks where a throttle lift and down shift is sufficient for some corners (in my case).

If I remember correctly, I lift into Maggots (I might touch the brakes), and drop to 6th, then a drop to 5th @ Becketts, then a drop to 4th @ Chapel (this depends on gearbox setup, grip, and how well I nailed the previous corners, I may stay in 5th for Chapel), I tend to exit Chapel in 5th onto the Hangar Straight. No braking is carried out once I have entered that complex of corners (and what great corners they are!)

Similar @ Suzuka.

A touch of braking into turn 3, then no braking (just lifts and gear changes) through 4, 5, 6, and 7. Which is the 'S' curves and Dunlop curve.

If I remember correctly, I lift into Maggots (I might touch the brakes), and drop to 6th, then a drop to 5th @ Becketts, then a drop to 4th @ Chapel (this depends on gearbox setup, grip, and how well I nailed the previous corners, I may stay in 5th for Chapel), I tend to exit Chapel in 5th onto the Hangar Straight. No braking is carried out once I have entered that complex of corners (and what great corners they are!)

I took the liberty to upload a short recording of said corners, so that he can visualize what you just said. ;)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 123 8.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 160 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 224 14.8%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 413 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 584 38.7%