Brakes in AC? Load cells a must have?

So I went ahead and bought/downloaded the entire Assetto Corsa pack from Steam last weekend and I just started to get into checking it out today. When compared to F1 2018 it seems a world apart. I seem to lock up the brakes much more easily in AC. I am thinking once I get my 4Play rig built with the new seat and get rid of my makeshift setup I am going to want a better wheel and pedals. Right now I got a deal on the TM TMX Pro with the T3PA pedal set. From what I am reading the load cell pedals are the way to go since it isn't just a 12 bit brake over distance pressed setup. I imagine the same with the throttle pedal but not as noticed. When coming into corners I am braking early (in my mind) but when I get to the apex I am still going way to fast and then a touch more brakes and it locks up or almost comes to a complete stop.

Is this due to cheap pedals? Will it be that much better with a good set of load cell pedals? At least once I have the extruded aluminum rig I will be able to justify upgrades to driving hardware ;)

Good googly I had no idea all the options in AC! I thought I was buying a game to learn not SAP database lol. Lets just say with all the DLC included in the pack I got I should keep me busy for a long time. I am sure to get a few other titles as well.

I would never show such terrible driving lol j/k. I am messing with some setting now to see what result it gives. As for the video of a lap I will have to figure that out too and see how to post it for comments. I could spend hours tinkering but my wife would be on me so I have to get little trials in when I can. (Trying to get house ready to market soon)

IYAM, the pedals are more important than the wheel (up to--but not including--the dd models, which I haven't tried). Before I had a wheel, I had two CH Flightsticks, one fore-and-aft for throttle and brakes, and one sideways for left and right. Worked like gangbusters, but after I got my first load-cell brake pedal, I'd never go back.

Yeah the more I read the more it seems a common problem with most people using my pedal set. I see all sorts of DIY hacks to "fix" the pedals but by the time I buy their fixes or get the pieces parts I think I'll just have wasted time and money. Got my eye on the Fanatec V3 at the moment as a contender but still scouting options.

Just so I am correct so long as it is PC and XBox compatible I am good to go with my systems using only the Fanatac pedal set combined with the TM TMX Wheel? I am so new to this I am unsure about certain combinations working or not. Thanks all!

I butchered my G29 with a DIY load cell mod. It made trail braking more consistent for me, but just beware that it was not some automatic solution to poor braking. It's also a much firmer feel to the pedal and less travel, which can take a little getting used to. Even before I switched to LC, if I was locking up regularly, I'd be looking a little closer at a replay of my driving telemetry to see what I was doing wrong

Yeah the more I read the more it seems a common problem with most people using my pedal set. I see all sorts of DIY hacks to "fix" the pedals but by the time I buy their fixes or get the pieces parts I think I'll just have wasted time and money. Got my eye on the Fanatec V3 at the moment as a contender but still scouting options.

Just so I am correct so long as it is PC and XBox compatible I am good to go with my systems using only the Fanatac pedal set combined with the TM TMX Wheel? I am so new to this I am unsure about certain combinations working or not. Thanks all!

I have a Thrustmaster T300 wheel & a set of Fanatec Clubsport V3 pedals & they work fine as a combination will all my sims... As you say, once you factor in the cost of a loadcell mod, and the price of firmer throttle & clutch springs, it's not that far from the price of the Fanatec CSL Elite pedals or Thrustmaster's own T-LCM pedals.

I see all sorts of DIY hacks to "fix" the pedals but by the time I buy their fixes or get the pieces parts I think I'll just have wasted time and money.

Yeah, the time is significant and you usually end up prototyping tweaks to add further to the cost :)

I did my own for fun to learn how to use a 3D printer and design an amplifier circuit, but if your only goal is to improve the pedal I'd either recommend a proper LC pedal set as per @pattikins suggestion, or if budget does not allow, check out the truebrake mod by AXC (https://www.axc-sim.com/product/load-cell-for-logitech-g29-pedals/). It's not technically a loadcell, but don't be fooled as I was, it's still measuring load on the pedal via spring compression rate (a loadcell does it via a slight deformation of the material instead) and not pedal position.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.