• "Slow and steady finishes the race. Fast and steady wins the race." - Sean Rogers.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brabham @ Nordschleife, too hard? Or am I too soft?

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Kjell Eilertsen, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen

Ratings:
    +1,244
    One of my favourite combos in AC and pCars is taking the lovely Lotus 49 out for a spin on the Green Hell, so I figured I'd try the Brabham around there in rF2, but I can't keep the damned thing on the black! I'm going off everywhere, even with the road set to "Glue" as preset.... ><
    Is it me, the track or the car? Is it supposed to be this difficult?
    The version of schleife I've been testing is this;
    http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/nordschleife.1254/
    The car is the ISI Brabham BT20.

2. Simon Christmann

Simon Christmann

Ratings:
    +242
    This is a tough combo. The car is not easy to drive. So on in the green hell you need to have a forgiving setup, know the track in detail (often you need to think a few corners ahead) and you never you be completely at the limit. Max 95%. Then you should be able to do some laps in a row without crashing.

Maybe try to understand the car better at some shorter easier tracks like old spa or brianza.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  3. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen

Ratings:
    +1,244
    But is it supposed to be THAT much harder to drive than the Lotus 49 in AC and pCars on the very same track? I have no issues taking on those challenges, ofc I'm making the occasional mistake, but I'm not going off every other corner like in the Brabham.
    I know the track like the back of my hand by now, so I think I'd rather continue practicing on there, unless this version of the ring is particularly tricky for some reason (more than AC and pCars I mean).

4. Frank

Frank
    Administrator Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +889
    AC and pCars have way more stable default setups and rFactor 2 is simply less forgiving. So yes it is supposed to be THAT much harder.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  5. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen

Ratings:
    +1,244
    I guess I'll try to tinker with the setup once we've done the setup event and I (hopefully) have a faint clue about what to adjust :p

6. RaceNut

RaceNut

Ratings:
    +543
    Tweak the setup for better stability but, aside from that - the Brabham requires a very soft touch with smooth inputs. It can take a while to transition to the different grip levels. The difference in grip cues can take a while to tune into.

7. jimortality

jimortality
    Premium

Ratings:
    +906
    Rfactor 2 is for grown ups Kjell lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly
    A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race. Premium

Ratings:
    +6,167
    I would seriously recommend doing what Simon suggests there.
    You know the track but it seems the car will be easier to learn/setup on a short predictable track.

no more advice but an unusual video for you

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kjell Eilertsen

Kjell Eilertsen

Ratings:
    +1,244
    Great video David, and it seems to handle as I would expect it to, not like it feels when I try, some setup and a lot of practice I guess.

10. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly
    A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race. Premium

Ratings:
    +6,167
    I found a setup I played with in April.
    I cant really remember how thorough I was but you are welcome to have a try
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvtgrnv45cvv8ki/Brabham_test.svm?dl=0

• Like Like x 1
  11. David Wright

David Wright

Ratings:
    +253
    Brabham made very user friendly racing cars. My limited experience with rF2 (not the Brabham) indicated setup was critical. Relatively small changes in setup could transform the Corvette from a nightmare with the default setup to something similarly forgiving as the Corvette in GTR2 or GTR Evo.