Boullier: McLaren starting new chapter

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
macca.jpg

Ahead of the season closing Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at the Yas Marina circuit, McLaren Honda Racing Director Eric Boullier talks up the teams prospects for 2016 and beyond.

Speaking to media at the circuit, Boullier offered thanks to the army of loyal fans who continue to get behind the troubled former champions and promised that more is to come next season from the McLaren Honda partnership.

On the back of one of the worst seasons in McLaren's illustrious history, winless and without a podium despite the driving strength of former World Champions Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button, Boullier assured fans that the team back at the McLaren Technology Centre in Milton Keynes and Honda Racing Developments in Sakura are leaving no stone unturned in their efforts to bring silverware back to the team in 2016.

"Although it is the last race of the season, our development has not stopped, and we are still bringing new parts and design elements to the car for the final grand prix. Our development is constant and we place huge importance on learning at every opportunity. All of our efforts this weekend will be beneficial to next year's car, and it's essential that we maximise the final sessions of the year, not only to end the season on a high, but to use the invaluable information we can glean from them and channel it into tangible progress over the winter period" said Boullier.​

Echoing the McLaren Racing Director's sentiments was Honda R&D senior managing officer - chief officer of motorsport, Yasuhisa Arai,

"So much has happened since McLaren-Honda's new beginnings here in Abu Dhabi last year. We have come a long way since that first test, and although we have had a difficult and eventful season in 2015, the team is as united as ever.

"The amount of changes that have gone into both the car and the power units this year with such speed has been incredible. Both Woking and Sakura have been working tirelessly throughout the year, and together with the drivers, their bond has become stronger as the season progressed. I am thankful for all their hard work, and encouraged by their enthusiasm to improve further over the winter."​

With the Yas Marina circuit again not expected to play to the strengths of the McLaren Honda package it could well be another weekend to forget for the team. Despite the obvious problems ensured during the season 2009 Champion Jenson Button remains upbeat that fortunes will be improved next year, and hopes to end the year on a high with points in this weekends Grand Prix

Button told reporters on Monday "If we can push for some points in Abu Dhabi, it'll definitely be a boost for the team to end the season, and will reward all the efforts from every single member of the team over the past year. We already have our heads firmly on the development push over winter, so anything positive we can take from this weekend will help us start our next chapter together with even more energy. Our motivation is as strong as ever"​

McLaren should be glad to finish the difficult 2015 season, do you think they have want it takes to turn things around next year? Leave your comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope it's not the last chapter. I wonder how long the shareholders will keep funding the team at this level with no results and no major sponsors to foot the bill. The days when Japanese engineering was superior to European have long passed so I am not too optimistic about Honda sorting this out anytime soon. I think the best they can hope for next year is midfield respectability.

I think they will be far more competitive than this year, but still not be fighting for wins, the optimist in me thinks they will be fighting for points somewhere around and between the Red Bulls and Force India, perhaps closer to RB and Ferrari than the other end of the grid but not fully on par just yet.
2017 is the year I think and hope they can start fighting for wins.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back