• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Have a chance to win a copy of F1 2017 The Game (PC) by following RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and / or YouTube.

Bottas Tops Times as Stroll Struggles

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Bethonie Waring, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Bethonie Waring

Bethonie Waring
    Premium

Ratings:
    +269
    stroll grips car.jpg Mercedes’ Valtteri Bottas topped the timings on the third day of testing, whilst multiple drivers brought out red flags throughout the day.

Bottas managed to set the fastest lap we’ve seen so far this year, a 1:19.705 on ultrasoft tyres, but the lap time was only a tenth faster than what he’d managed on supersoft tyres on the previous run.

Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel ended the day second fastest and 0.25s off Bottas’ time, but he managed to set the time on soft tyres. Throughout the day, the Ferrari seemed more steady than the Mercedes, whether it was driven by Bottas of teammate Lewis Hamilton.

Lots of other drivers weren’t looking too steady. Renault’s Jolyon Palmer brought the session to a halt early in the day when he ran into the gravel on an out lap, and Toro Rosso’s Carlos Sainz brought out the red flag later in the day when he stopped at turn four.

But the driver that spent the most time walking away from his abandoned car today was Williams’ Lance Stroll. After crashing yesterday, the rookie was put in the car for a second consecutive day, but it was another difficult day for the teenager.

Just after the chequered flag was brought out for lunch, Stroll parked his car in the gravel. Later in the day, the Canadian hit the tyre barrier after he lost the rear of the car at the exit of turn five.

Whilst it’s easy to say Stroll may have made the jump up to F1 a little too early, it would be surprising if a rookie didn’t make these mistakes in his first test, especially with the big jump between what he’s been testing in the private tests and what he’s behind the wheel of now.

It seems like Stroll is reacting to every twitch or judder of the car, and is yet to learn when he needs to correct a mistake, and when the car will sort itself out.

One team that didn’t have any problems today was McLaren. After two frustrating days, the team managed to get through their test programme without any apparent issues. Fernando Alonso was still pretty low down on the timing screens, but he managed to complete more than 70 laps.

For more thoughts on Formula One and the latest news, head to the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment.

Do you think this is a sign Stroll has made the leap too early, or will he be a strong driver this season? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 1
  2. Tume

Tume
    The unlucky Finn

Ratings:
    +332
    So, not just an average stroll in the park then?

• Haha Haha x 5
  3. paracletus

paracletus

Ratings:
    +143
    These cars will probably be a shock to most of the drivers on the long runs; only LH, FA and FM have driven anything like this in the past.
    Full-race distance will be a challenge for most. As good as MV is for example, it will probably take time to get accustomed to the much higher forces over 2-hour race.

4. Tume

Tume
    The unlucky Finn

Ratings:
    +332
    You forgot Vettel, Kimi.

5. Blimey

Blimey
    Banned

Ratings:
    +199
    Giving Stroll a seat in F1 is a death sentence.

• Angry Angry x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Tume

Tume
    The unlucky Finn

Ratings:
    +332
    Maybe we're wrong, Verstappen wasn't exactly the cleanest in the start either...but let's see. It's always a risk for sure.

7. Mark Aalberts

Mark Aalberts

Ratings:
    +296
    :rolleyes: And these are 2 crashes that are vivid to my mind, he had more of this sort of incidents. Will be interesting to watch, but looking at this it seems to me that he need all his brainpower to keep the car on track and in that process sometimes loses track of what is going on around him.:D He had more of this sort of incidents. Another one that crosses my mind is when he tried to run Verstappen into the wall in Homestead when drag racing to the finish line alongside each other, that was pretty crazy to.

skip to 3.40

8. Mark Aalberts

Mark Aalberts

Ratings:
    +296
    • Haha Haha x 4
  9. Wedge

Wedge

Ratings:
    +146
    stroll is struggling

10. Bethonie Waring

Bethonie Waring
    Premium

Ratings:
    +269
    I was tempted to put "Did Lance try to run before he could stroll"

11. Kevin Pheiffer

Kevin Pheiffer

Ratings:
    +133
    Ferrari are on course......mark my words.

• Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  12. Boby Kim

Boby Kim

Ratings:
    +352
    A dearh sentence...that is something isn't it Blimey?:O_o:

13. Blimey

Blimey
    Banned

Ratings:
    +199
    We all saw what happened to Jules, don't want that to happen again.

• Wow Wow x 1
  14. Brian McManus

Brian McManus
    Steam: Brian Mac

Ratings:
    +102
    the kid isn't ready for f1 yet, they need a more experienced driver.
    pascal wehrlein would of been the perfect driver to bring on, even maybe feilpe nasr.

15. TheCed

TheCed

Ratings:
    +16
    Strolldonado.

16. Mr Latte

Mr Latte
    Premium

Ratings:
    +308

Marked in Red & Underlined For Good Measure
    I fear Mercedes are sandbagging but do hope for more of a challenge going to Mercedes this year.

17. Kevin Pheiffer

Kevin Pheiffer

Ratings:
    +133
    And what makes you think Ferrari aren't sandbagging as well guys? LOL