1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

BMW Sauber announces departure from Formula 1

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Bradley Wint, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Yes folks, a sad day has come in real world motorsport with the announcement from BMW that their F1 division will no longer be in existence as of the end of 2009. BMW officially announced that they will be pulling the plug in the team after a very poor 3 year stint.

When BMW bought out Sauber in 2006, they were coming with a very decent performance sheet when they were partnered with Williams, and had set very high goals for the coming years. However, this proved not the case, with 2009 producing only a meagre 8 point for the entire season.

With such a poor standing, the board realized that the amount of money being spent of F1 just wasn't worth it. KERS also proved to be quite a failure, with them eventually ditching the technology midway through the championship. There are even rumors circulating that Kubica may continue as a Ferrari driver next year, taking Felipe Massa's seat.

Here is the full press release from BMW.

Source: BMW Press

Attached Files:

2. OMGWTFBBQ.... :thunder::thunder::thunder::thunder::thunder:
    :hypnotized::qq::cow::monkey::doh2:

3. Bugger :(

4. I wonder if Sauber or Petronas willl turn into Sauber Petronas again

5. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Sauber made some brilliant LMP cars in the past, 1+1=2

Forza Le Mans Series :)

6. really?! peter sauber sauber?

7. R.I.P. BMW-Sauber. I don't think Peter's on his way back in unfortunatley

8. We will miss them!!

:confused2:

9. Will we? or will they just be another team consigned to the history books while another team steps into their place.