BMW E30 Class A

Spent abit of time in the GT3 Z4, then I thought being abit old and remember this car well both on tv and on the real roads, give it a go :0

Its a fantastic car to drive but most of all its a little slower than the Z4 and a beauty to learn tracks with, gives you gip when your wrong turning in and missing the apex, but I thought I'd throw this out there for rookies like me.

I find the most important thing is learning the tracks first and foremost, find a car you are very happy with and practice, move up to the faster cars once the tracks are in your head, that way I hope but still not proven is the way I will go.

AC is awesome :)

Spent abit of time in the GT3 Z4, then I thought being abit old and remember this car well both on tv and on the real roads, give it a go :0

Its a fantastic car to drive but most of all its a little slower than the Z4 and a beauty to learn tracks with, gives you gip when your wrong turning in and missing the apex, but I thought I'd throw this out there for rookies like me.

I find the most important thing is learning the tracks first and foremost, find a car you are very happy with and practice, move up to the faster cars once the tracks are in your head, that way I hope but still not proven is the way I will go.

I think you got the nail on the head. People tend to jump in the most high powered cars without the skill to drive them let alone race them. Racing slower cars is still immensely fun!

I wouldnt say its that slow, cream of the crop at the time, but having spent some hours in the Z4 then moving to the E30 A class i felt I had more time to see what I was doing, picking break points etc. I will stick with this car as I love it :)

Like any sim or game learning the maps / tracks is key :)

Yes, without any aids for realism and more of a challenge; but for beginning (for someone who hasn't "got it" yet), it's really good with stability control. Without it, it's very frustrating. Once one can get a handle on it with stability control, then it's time to turn it off and learn how it really behaves.

Yes, without any aids for realism and more of a challenge; but for beginning (for someone who hasn't "got it" yet), it's really good with stability control. Without it, it's very frustrating. Once one can get a handle on it with stability control, then it's time to turn it off and learn how it really behaves.

If you've ever been to racing school IRL you'd know that the cars they use have no assists for a reason - you'll never learn to feel what the car is telling you if you have assists constantly interfering. Personally I find that assists just encourage bad habits (like carelessly smashing the throttle or brake), but to each his own.

For me the TC/stability control doesn't help, the ABS does - I think the difference is that ABS gives me about what I expect (understeer on hard braking), stability control doesn't (understeer on hard throttle, or when the weight shifts, or when it thinks you're driving too fast)

The way that aids are implemented in this sim for cars that have them would mean that a league rule banning aids would be unenforceable at the moment. I wonder how fine grained the server side settings will be when they are fully implemented.

interesting question, normally the RD
leagues I have raced has the settings on the server so it defaults all racers to the same settings normally no aids maybe some abs. Im sure once the MP is ready there will be the ability to tune which aids you can have if any as per normal. Practice without them, no big surprises only benefits if they implement in the leagues :)

Yes, as a rookie, my 2 faves so far are the M3 Class A and the 2-11, great fun to drive, but not a big learning curve to get going.
The 2-11 is nice on the smaller tracks.
Of course for a challenge, I love the F40, like a tire smoking wild horse. Yee hah.

If you've ever been to racing school IRL you'd know that the cars they use have no assists for a reason - you'll never learn to feel what the car is telling you if you have assists constantly interfering. Personally I find that assists just encourage bad habits (like carelessly smashing the throttle or brake), but to each his own.

This has been percolating in my mind for a while, and this just came up: There's a big difference between a beginner experimenting in a computer simulation, and getting instruction from a live teacher in a real car at a real track. Talkin' apples and waffle irons!:) In that scenario, of course one wouldn't want any electronic aids. But for someone who hasn't had any experience, real or simulated, with high-performance driving, I think traction control in a simulator to begin with makes sense.

I'm sure I've mentioned this in another AC thread but I think the E30's are the most well rounded cars in AC. You can do anything you want to do with them. You can drive them very controlled, you can drift with them, you can play in them without losing total control. They're just a blast to drive.

For some reason the E30 doesn't feel like a fun car to drive at all for me. It has massive understeer and to get it to turn into corners means that you need to absolutely nail the turn in to get just the right amount of slip. too much and you over rotate and too little and go straight. I was expecting it to be one of my favourites (just like the F40) but I don't really like it at all. Which is just bizarre because in other sims I've played I've always enjoyed the road cars and disliked the gt cars. The E30 just feels wonky and it drives like it is made of cheese...

For some reason the E30 doesn't feel like a fun car to drive at all for me. It has massive understeer and to get it to turn into corners means that you need to absolutely nail the turn in to get just the right amount of slip. too much and you over rotate and too little and go straight. I was expecting it to be one of my favourites (just like the F40) but I don't really like it at all. Which is just bizarre because in other sims I've played I've always enjoyed the road cars and disliked the gt cars. The E30 just feels wonky and it drives like it is made of cheese...
Blasphemy!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 346 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 238 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 237 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 8.0%
  • < 5 years