BMW-E21-320i-group 5 @ Riverside Layouts - Thu 29th Nov

flyergtc76.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: BMW-E21-320i-group 5 (Download)
Track: Riverside (Download) - We are using the Nascar & CanAm layouts for these 2 races.

See Main Forum for Official Race Time Clock
Practice start time: GMT 20.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 (10 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 21.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 21.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 21.30 (10 laps)

Note 1: Race 1 - Nascar Circuit (Default chosen car/skin only)
Note 2: Race 2 - CanAm Circuit (Default chosen car/skin only)
Note 3: Pleas pick your skin when signing up from the list and stick to it. first come first served basis.
Note 4: Car Skins available : 5 7 8 9 11 14 15 16 23 24 26 27
31 32 33 36 51 59 62 63 65 75 76 98 114(14) 159
(only skins visible above are available . (Skin 114 plain grey only shows number 14))
Note 5: Please enter server before the practice session to make sure all is working with your car and system
Note 6: We are using the SIMBIN lobby for this event. See here how to switch lobby

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Knut Omdal Tveito - car/skin :# 12
  2. Rupe Wilson - car/skin : # 292
  3. Stuart Thomson - car/skin : # 55
  4. Hans Sneep - car/skin : # 10
  5. Rokas Charlapavicius - car/skin : # 302
  6. Jack Smith - car/skin : # 4
  7. Carlos Diaz - car/skin : # 1
  8. Eck Simpson - car/skin : # 3
  9. Jacob Boonstra - car/skin : # 81
  10. Bob Hutchins - car/skin : # 50
  11. Alberto Tescara - car/skin : # 20
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Roland Warmenhoven - car/skin : # unused
Rules:

This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

After a whole 48 hours of not being able to partake in any of my hobbies due to a broken hand, i decided enough was enough and opted for the one-handed approach. The 320i is tricky enough with two hands, but i love Riverside so i had to give this a bash seeing as i'm off work for a while and can't really do anything i normally would.

So by moving 'shift-up' to one of the buttons on the left side of my g27, and downshifting with the left paddle, i was able to get a comfortable-ish setup going, and because the bimmer requires very little steering lock to get it round corners, i wasn't over-stressing my weaker arm.

Couldn't get on the pace after the first few laps, but every time around the track i was getting more confident until i felt i could circulate safely. Starting 7th? i got through a couple of spinners and was a bit behind the battle for the lead between thommo & eck. As they held each other up i closed in and had a nice little dice with pair of them until eck went off, followed by me scraping the barrier later. Thommo was off and away!

In race 2 i got a good start and just aimed to survive rather than lap quickly, as the CanAm layout was a little more taxing on my one-armed bandit approach, due to the long-duration turns accompanied by hard-braking, resulting in me almost losing it a few times.

Congrats Thommo on the win, and Eck & Bob for podiums. Nice car & track combo Rupe, the BMW is one of the toughest cars to drive in all of GTL in my opinion, but Riverside is just an awesome track!

Setup i used is here:

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/gr5-bmw-320-setups.14833/#post-1311610

Hey guys,

sorry for the troubles I caused last night, but since the installation of the Abarth Mod GT Legends always uses the Abarth as selected car, no matter what I select.

So I removed the TCR Mod and later the whole Abarth folder to be able to join the race and finally it worked. Is this a common error?

About the race and the car, since I was too late and had no time to pratice I could not do any fast and more important error free laps.

This car maybe the most difficult I have driven because the oversteer comes so sudden and I could not get the car under controll after a certain angle. Also there was no change in the FF to feel it. Another problem was my steering lock which was at 900° and appeared to be to high. After lowering it to 700° it was much better.

Rokas, nice battle during Race 2, but I let you pass because my pedals slipped away and I could not heel and toe anymore during downshifts, so I had to slow down and bring them in position again. :)

Thanks for the organisation Rupe, it was big fun!

After a whole 48 hours of not being able to partake in any of my hobbies due to a broken hand, i decided enough was enough and opted for the one-handed approach. The 320i is tricky enough with two hands, but i love Riverside so i had to give this a bash seeing as i'm off work for a while and can't really do anything i normally would.

So by moving 'shift-up' to one of the buttons on the left side of my g27, and downshifting with the left paddle, i was able to get a comfortable-ish setup going, and because the bimmer requires very little steering lock to get it round corners, i wasn't over-stressing my weaker arm.
Well done Ross! Don't worry too much, you get used the the "left hand only" approach after a couple of years :thumbsup:

That was immense, how did I miss out on a mini series with these?..

Anyhoo, first race start was a little girly.. even by my own (usuallly poor) standard. From what I saw, it may have been the wise way to go. The "Red Sea" parted and somehow, I followed Thommo to The Esses.. lucky bleeder..
I thought it best, not to chance my luck farther, so decided to follow for a few, even allowing Mr Bossman to recover from an excursion. I wasn't paying attention to the gaps behind, Ross soon put that mistake right. He really had pulled his "broken???" finger out. Still content to follow, I found myself at Turn 6 in 4th gear(not 5th) shifted down two, gave it a big boot full... speared left.. no option but to follow, what looked like, a great race from then on...
Grats Stu and Ross... nicely done.

Second race started like I watched others, in race one.. fechin idiot.. speared left, scared myself witless, as the wall approached. Somehow, I got away without a crash, nearly last. Jacob and I raced through The Esses, Turn 6 and 7. We caught Alberto, approaching Turn 8. I was trying for an inside pass, on Jacob and I nearly "laid a large one", as Alberto slowed and Jacob and I parted to go either side, I somehow found room (mostly in the grass) and the pass came off, on both (lucky again). I somehow, found pace I didn't have in the first race. Eventually caught the 4 (3 n a half when I got there (Knuts crash looked painful)) car battle for 2nd.. Ross, having already made for the hills. Drafted past Bob down the back straight, I wasn't gonna get away though. When we got to Roland and Thommo at Turn 6, Roland was running a little wide, with Thommo trying not to get involved. Thommo span inward and Roland couldn't avoid the wall. Bob and I had slowed, allowing them recovery time. As Roland drove away, I noticed his car missing the rear wing. I warned him of the impending doom, on TS. We all made it through Turn 7, and again approaching Turn 8, was surprised by how soon others were slowing. This time I was on the outside of Roland and ran out of room (talent). Luckily, I got away with just brushing the wall. Drove away, thinking I'd be back in 4th again. The missing wing (I presume), had got Roland. I set about chasing Bob down again, for a lap or two (how many laps was this race???) never really making a big impression. Then Bob outbraked himself, gifting me second. And by this time, Ross had made it to the hills, sourced fire wood, lit a fire and cooked himself a celebratory meal.
Grats Ross and Bob... again, well done.

Thanks all, great racing. Thanks to Rupe, Knut, Stu and RD... GTL Club just gets better.

Alberto Tescara, if your having problems with GT Legends and the install of mods, From previous experiences and also working with Jack recently this problem is only going to come back.
I would advise a complete reinstall and start again.
Its quicker in the long run..
Use the unlock that we all use..(GT Legends unlock click me!)
make your profile and check that the game works, and save your profile somewhere safe, before installing any mods or tracks.
Then introduce the mod that was causing the problem and see if it works, As Stuart has said "take it one step at a time", install and check..if you have problems use this thread (Trouble shooting) and we will try to help.

Try not to wait until the last minute before installing the tracks and mods for a club race. there are 2 reasons for this, the first is what you found last night and the second is the your fellow drivers who are a very friendly bunch, will not have any confidence in you when out on track, you don't know the car and maybe not the track,and you trying to race. This is a accident waiting to happen..you might crash into a wall all on your own but if you cause others to crash in avoidance that is not fair on your fellow drivers who have practised with the car and track...please, all club members think about this ..Although accidents do happen that is racing, people will get upset with avoidable accidents.
Over the years the previous staff have worked hard to bring GT Legends to were it is now and we will not let the standards slip...Enjoy your racing and also remember its your fellow racers that also make it enjoyable not just the car and track..

Have not found time to do a proper report... but a very enjoyable experience this was!
Driving this BMW is quite a different ball game, in R1 I pretty soon lost my front splitter (at the start:redface: despite my inadequate efforts to get off the line gently) which slowed me down considerably (ask Rokas, he was stuck behind my front-grip-less bimmer almost all of R1:D ) but still I managed to get round the track pretty good.

In R2 however everything took off very well, but soon another crash made me lose my rear spoiler. Eck tried to warn me, however I didn't fully realize what he was telling me until it was too late, and I crashed hard again under braking.
Driving without rear spoiler proved impossible so I had no choice but to limp to the pit to get my aero fixed, however it took me about two minutes to figure out how to park the car as the mechanic had his back towards me.:confused:
I tried turning the car around and stop in his face, no luck, little bits forward/backwards/to the left/to the right, still no luck.:O_o:
Turned around again and stopped the car facing my mechanic's back, that seemed to work, however replacing the rear spoiler was another 45 secs, so did my remaining laps in a lonely last place, a lap and a half down on everyone else.:cry:

Thanks Rupe for bringing this challenge to us, and grats to the winners and podiums!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 256 13.4%