1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW about to leave F1?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Bart Snijders, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Stumbled upon this article:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77398

Looks like Bernie can start looking for one more new team :nod:

2. yep if BMW do leave it will be a bit of a shame because they were a good team but it also means that Aston Martin could possibly join F1 :D

3. Yves Larose

Yves Larose
    Premium Member

They also have rumors that the would leave the WTCC so it might be that and not the F1, who knows just have to wait and see. :monkey:

4. I'll be surprised if they leave WTCC because WTCC is now pretty even between all the cars and has so far produced some very good racing. Also is Sauber still at all involved in this or did he completely sell out to BMW?

5. if i remember right Sauber completely sold it to BMW, but not sure about it

6. Big bump

7. I doubt they'd leave. They would probably work on the '10 car soon. Seriously, the car is not good. I can see them leaving WTCC, but not F1.

I think the media just need to shutup. All the rumors they're coughing up recently...

8. When a major player in the F1 announces an emergency press conference with the Director of the Board, Director of development and the Director of motorsport in a time they are just about to sign a new multi year agreement you can hardly say the media are coughing up rumours. It's normal when you announce a press conference this way people are going to think the worst :nod: and they obviously are going to announce something important. I'm not saying it'll be that they are leaving F1 but I do understand why people would think it was.

9. Yeh, but a lot of them have been played down as false. So you wonder where they hear them from.

10. James Johnson

James Johnson
    The Weatherman

Its Big news if its on Many Reliable Sources.

11. I guess we'll find out in an hour :)

12. Bye Bye BMW.

Bernie said on the Radio that BMW are pulling out(THIS IS A FACT)

13. jarp... uncle bernie quoted on bbc sport:

14. Hmm... Be interesting to see where Kubica and Heidfeld Go now...

Ferrari Line Up 2010 (3 possibilities)

Kubica-Massa
    Alonso-Kubica
    Kubica-Schumacher

None of them contain the word Rakkionen and I'd be damn happy to see any of these instead

15. kubica was only talking a coupla days ago about going rallying... mebbe he'll swap earlier than he expected....

16. BMW will quit F1 at the end of 2009

BMW has announced it is to quit Formula 1 at the end of the 2009 season, as AUTOSPORT predicted last night.
    The news was confirmed at a press conference in Munich this morning, and comes on the back of a disappointing campaign for the outfit.
    Dr. Norbert Reithofer, chairman of the BMW board, said: "Of course this was a difficult decsion for us. But it's a resolute step in view of our company's strategic realingment."
    BMW will continue its other motorsport activities outside of F1.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77400

They could of won the title last year if they had carried on upgrading the car

17. Kubica rallying? Talent like his needs to be in an F1 car

18. Bram

Bram
    Roaring Pipes Maniacs | #27 Staff Premium Member

Then they will probably change their entire focus to (A)LMS now. Good thing imho since i find proto's/GT's/Touringcars much more exciting then formula cars.

BMW clearly missed the boat this year with the new developments in F1

19. You didn't know Räikkönen is under contract till 2010 ? Unless he stops this year with F1 and goes full time rallying.

20. I'm deeply saddened to hear this news. BMW was one of my favourite teams, and it's a pity they didn't get the results they wanted throughout their tenure in F1. I certainly hope that Heidfeld and Kubica can get another drive before next season starts.

RIP BMW Sauber. :sad: