1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blown Diffusers

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Chris Hempsall, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Chris Hempsall

Chris Hempsall

So, no blown diffusers anymore, starting at Silverstone. Is this the end of Vettel's dominance? As is widely publicised, Red Bull are gaining between 0.5 and a full second over the other teams with the same technology.

This seems like a strange decision. The main reason, says Charlie Whiting, is that because the engine is moving to create downforce, it breaks regulations regarding moveable aero-parts. If this is the case, what about Red Bull's wing last year?
    They decided that was just fine, but that was a time when if Red Bull slowed down, they would not have had a chance at winning the championship. But this year, they're pulling away and all of a sudden, 7 races in, they need to be slowed down, for entertainment reasons of course. Entertainment=revenue

So I have concluded, and feel free to tell me if you disagree, that this decision was made purely to slow Red Bull down. They were aware of the issue well before the season started and yet only now has a decision been made, when it's obvious Red Bull are flying and with no real Drivers Chamionship battle, less people will watch. So this decision has been made completely for spectator reasons. I'm happy with it and hopefully Vettel will now have to show that he IS the best driver and doesnt just have the fastest car, which he is yet to do.

2. im glad they are banned. Only hi-end teams were using it. Yes its a develpoment race and dominance but its a bit unfair for other teams that use different engines. Its only fair. It breaks regulations. It wasnt made to slow Red Bull, Ferrari and Maclaren and Renault were both using the same system except Red BuLL nailed it down. Like 2010 When Maclaren used the F-duct no1 whine and complained, all they did was come up with their own. that comment is irrelevant. Vettel is a kid. he has much to learn.

3. Chris Hempsall

Chris Hempsall

F-duct was a great piece of engineering, well within the rules. Red Bull complained, laughed out. Renault complained, also laughed away. But when Ferrari complained. Well you know the rest.

4. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins
    Driving til the wheels fall off

Lets be clear that the exhaust/diffuser itself is not being banned.
    Its the throttle map setting that allows the engine the stay at high revs when the driver takes his foot off the throttle that is being banned.
    The new rules mean that the engine can only run at a maximum of 10% throttle when 'off throttle'.

5. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

As of Montreal, Virgin were the only team not using it, although they had developed it.

6. I didn't think Williams were using it either???

7. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

They had developed it for the weekend. Whether it was on the car by the time qualifying came around I don't know.

8. Omer Said

Omer Said
    Weresloth Staff Premium Member

I will miss the crazy sound produced by this system :(

I don't think it will harm Red Bull Racing much, as Renault itself said that it will only increase the costs, not harm the performance. Then why is it banned? I have no idea...

But if this levels the car performances, then bring it on!!

9. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

I think I remember hearing that for some of the teams the hot exhaust gases were being ignited to increase the gas being omitted onto the diffuser.From the FIA's perspective this could get out of hand and very dangerous, plus it doesn't really fit with the 'green' image that the FIA is trying to create as it uses a lot more fuel.

10. disappointed to see another innovative solution removed from the rules but agree with the green element to some extent. limiting max fuel for a race could have also solved the issue. if you want to burn fuel when no need to then that's your decision - you have to carry more and thus the weight, more efficient cars could run lighter or run higher revs for longer. it's a balancing act then.

i think you are in a grey area where you say its a moveable aero device cos you could in fact say the same of the car - which the driver controls with his right foot - push down = go faster = more downforce (does that make the throttle a moveable device too?) ;)

11. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

I just read on Autosport that the whole Blown Diffuser system will be banned for 2012.
    Lets see who wins the innovation race this time.

12. Chris Hempsall

Chris Hempsall

Well it looks like Red Bull will be the only team to challenge this decision. I may be wrong, but they might have shown their hand a little bit there.

13. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

Red Bull will be fine until Monza. Thats the next low-downforce track

14. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

Check out this excellent article from Formula1.com.
    Offers a lot of explanation into how the system works and why it's being banned:

15. Chris Hempsall

Chris Hempsall

Good article, cheers

16. Red Bull's Adrian Nuey will always find a way to improve their car. even it blown diffusers are banned.

17. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

So the official word is that as of the British Grand Prix, when the driver is off-throttle no more than 10% throttle can be generated.
    As of 2012 the cars will have to have 'top-exit' exhausts, similar to this I guess:

[​IMG]

18. From the BBC:

That means they will be sticking out of the back of the car so it is not possible to add airflow to any part of the car. So they will be a lot further back than on the picture you have posted.

19. Can teams go for a solo pipe? If so do the same rules apply on the way it will look?

20. Chris Jenkins

Chris Jenkins

By 'vertical cut-off' do they mean that the exit of the exhaust will be facing upwards towards the under-side of the rear wing?