Best value wheel for Assetto Corsa?

Metla

Premium
I'm currently running a G27 and considering upgrading it. Assetto Corsa is pretty much the only game I play on a regular basis so first and foremost it has to be a wheel that works well in that environment.

Wait, First and foremost I have to be able to afford it, So I'm not looking top end,

Is there any consensus on a great performing yet affordable wheel for Assetto Corsa?

If you're on a fairly tight budget then you already have a wheel that is about as good as it gets in terms of bang for buck. Both the G25 and G27 are still very popular among sim racers. I use a G27 myself and, while I'm aware it has it's limitations, I'm very happy with it. I looked into upgrading a while back but worked out I'd probably need at least £300 or more for the upgrade to be worthwhile. So I didn't bother. :)

Under $600 AUD.

Give or take.

If there is something killer available at $650 it would definitely be considered.

That's not a target either, If there is better value at a lower price point then that is where I would be looking.

Last edited:
If you're on a fairly tight budget then you already have a wheel that is about as good as it gets in terms of bang for buck. Both the G25 and G27 are still very popular among sim racers. I use a G27 myself and, while I'm aware it has it's limitations, I'm very happy with it. I looked into upgrading a while back but worked out I'd probably need at least £300 or more for the upgrade to be worthwhile. So I didn't bother. :)

Interesting, I went through this process a year ago and came to a similar conclusion, Now Im revisiting it. It seems much the same. Thought I'd ask in case I have missed something.

The only other option that I considered was a T300RS and my current pedals, But that seeems like a lot of money to upgade half my setup, if it is even an upgrade.

T300RS sells for around $450 locally.

When my G27 died I bought a T300 Alcantara (367€ the whole package on Amazon EU, at the moment is 470$ on Amazon US), 450 only for the standard version it's too much.
I found a huge difference in the FFB smoothness and consistency and the overall quality is better.
Anyway I would not do the upgrade since your G27 is still working, but once you try the Thrustmaster you never go back.

I´m with keeping the wheel, go for clubsport V3 pedals. I used G25+V2 pedals for years, before finally getting the Clubsport wheel V1, later the V2. Sure, the feel an immersion of the CSW V2 is miles better than G27, but your racing will be the same. But, having tried T500, T300 and CSW V2 up against each other, the CSW wins. If you have the money and want that extra.
Assetto is the only reason I got the CSW V2, and later VR too. Damn sim...

I am having the same thoughts about the G27. I am 26 now and had a thrustmaster from 7-18 years old (200°, everything plastic, but belt driven) but no driver for win 7 :( damn the G27 is rattling, oscillating, huge deadzone, just loud in comparison! I totally understand you!

If you want to try the settings which made me finally happy go to my profile and look at my G27 guide (no link, don't want to "advertise" it).
These settings let me love the G27, at least for now, again :)

I had the logitech DFGT for while, it's also fairly coggy but it got the job done well enough. Decided to treat myself to a TM T300 and I must say it is well worth the monies for me. you get a 2 year warranty which is nice. I've had no issues. nice stronge, detailed FB.

I also have the thrustmaster T3PA pedals. they are fantastic for the monies. took the sping from the pedals that came with the t300 pedals and added it to my brake on the t3PA. fantastic braking feel now, coupled with the progressive wheel ribber cone that comes with the t3pas.

In my mind the t300 was well worth the bit extra I paid.

I've had G27, T300, CSW V2. The T300 is a pretty nice upgrade from the G27, it will definitely improve your experience and give you much better (and quieter) FFB, plus you can change rims on it which is awesome. I'd say go for that and keep using your G27 pedals because those are pretty decent, especially if you get one of the brake mods, and keep the G27 around as a backup just in case.

Thanks for all the input, after much consideration I've decided the outlay isn't proportional to the outcome. So,I'll put it off for another year or until the G27 fails.

So...Ive put the money into a video card upgrade instead, Gone from a HD 7950 to a GTX 1070.

That's a good decision I would say. I swapped out my gtx 760 last summer and it's nice for the eyes to bump up every slider + sgssaa!

Indeed, I was after the extra eye candy, And then for some reason was able to knock 4 seconds off a laptime while getting 240fps rather then the 60fps from before (granted I can't see most of those frames). In fact Ive set faster times on every track I frequent since the upgrade.

You can buy fairly cheap mods for the G27 to be able to fit a real rim to it...thats how I started out....a decent size steering wheel changes things a lot...you can get cheapish mods to fit bigger paddles to the size wheel you like...IMHO its worth loosing buttons on the wheel to get a better feeling wheel...but you can also get custom wheel plates for that too :).
The shifter I use is a Fanatec Clubsport V2 with a nice leather knob added...wheelbase is a Thrustmaster TX and it is excellent...again...modded with a Thrustmaster Ferrai wheel addon but I modded that too with real size paddles and a nice imitation Momo wheel rim from ebay...pedals I just have the Thrustmaster T3PA Pro pedals (I am dithering on whether or not to invest in the Ricmotec brake pedal load cell)...all fitted on a Next Level frame.
Basically just buy what you can afford when you can afford it...bit by bit...I find every little mod takes your driving experience with Assetto to the next level...keep scouring ebay and the second hand sites...I have triple 27" monitors..all bought cheap second hand :) mounted on an angled desk shelf that I built myself for a few pounds...no need for expensive triple monitor stands...I also use SimDash and have designed my own dash to fit on a little old monitor I had that now sits under my center monitor and its better for me than any of those over priced led thingies and easy to change on a per car basis...everything done on a very limited budget (I am disabled) .
Have fun

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 209 14.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 113 7.6%
  • < 5 years