1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best racing sim for online multiplayer

Discussion in 'Other Racing Games' started by Joex22, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Dear Forum members,

I'd like to inquire about your opinions. I'm a beginner in racing sims, I have proper hardware (including wheels) for playing online too. I've tried iRacing and I'm very impressed: leagues, safety ratings, and well, say, there are tons of noobs like me and I have fun racing and I feel like getting better day to day. It's challenging and inspiring.

The problem is that I've got out of the rookie series and I've found out that the game needs continous serious investments, which I can't and don't want to afford right now. I'm looking for an alternative game (preferably a buy-once (apart from DLCs) like Assetto or Project Cars, or 'buy-a-pack-and-happy-racing for a while' like RaceRoom).

My question is: Which game has the best multiplayerm which
    1. Has any kind of ranking system, to prevent noobs like me regularly race really good racers
    2. Prevents the "crash at first corner then disconnect" attitude
    3. Has enough online population.

I really like watching Assetto Corsa gameplays at youtube, feels like (one of) the best game out there, but are 1-3, points true for it?

Thank you for your replies and advices.
    Jozsef Halmi
  2. CCL71

Premium Member

Honestly man, based on what you've described, I'd say stick with Iracing. If you've invested in a wheel and pc, spending 5 or 6 bucks for tracks isn't the big of an investment. I have most of the cars and tracks in both Iracing and Raceroom and I'm pretty sure I've spent about the same for content in both (minus the membership fee for Iracing). If you want a one time purchase, then yeah, other games would be cheaper overall but the the racing might not be as restricted as Iracing. From what I've read, P CARS is working on better rules to enhance the racing experience but that's not in place yet so the racing with still random, same with Asseto Corsa...cut tracks, crashing, unsafe track re-entries...etc. Iracing will give the cleanest multiplayer hands down in my opinion. If money is an issue, then pick 1 car that you like and just race it. I still run the Miata eventhough I have a B class license. You'll have to buy the tracks but again, you have to decide what is more important...cleaner racing and improving your racecraft or racing for the sake of racing. I enjoy both but I've spent $$$$ to have the best of both worlds.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Slalom823

RDTCC S10 Champion Premium Member

That is good advice, however if you want a cheaper option or aren't in love with the physics, cars or tracks in iracing, joining rd club races are pretty great. I enjoy Iracing but prefer club races here on stock car extreme. The advantage iracing has is that each day there are many races at different times.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Guys, thank you for your replies.
    I admit it's a bit silly to list the best features of iRacing and ask which game have them too, but of course, I can compromise, just don't want others to ruin my gaming experience, and of course, I don't want to ruin others' either. I'm really happy you've mentioned, that there are no real solutions to forbid unsafe behaviour in Assetto and pCars, I think that is the most important thing in online racing to make it fair.

One more question: how did you manage to get tracks for 5-6 bucks (like you said)? All of them seems 12-15 bucks, are they regularly go on sales, or what? (I'm asking because I've mentioned, I'm relatively new to iRacing too).

I'm going to try Stock Car Extreme too, It's much cheaper than regular games (Assetto, pCars), thank you for mentioning it. :)
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  5. CCL71

Premium Member

Participation, content and birthday bonuses, plus sales. The more you race, the more you save. The same goes for content...the more you own, the less you pay for future content.

And in terms of clean racing, don't get me wrong, you will have incidents in Iracing as well, just look at any race replays on YouTube. I've certainly made my share of bone headed mistakes. For me though, the difference between Iracing and other sims, is that the participants are genuinely trying their best to race clean. As opposed to the "forza mentality" of anything goes.
  6. fortyfivekev

Premium Member

You can save money on iRacing, it just depends on how patient you are.

They always have a Black Friday half price membership renewal offer and you can buy extra years then even if your membership expires at another time of the year. They also have offers now and again when you can buy $100 of iRacing credits for $75. If you use one of those offers and buy say 6 tracks your cost per track comes down quite a bit as they offer extra discounts for multiple purchases as well.

For everything apart from iRacing just join a league.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. xnorb

Premium Member

When it comes to Multiplayer there's only iRacing.
    Sad but true.

If it had any competitors, they couldn't afford keeping those insane prices ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. budlix

Wheel Rotator Premium Member

I don't own iRacing so can't say, but generally people is talking about MP (in positive way) so it should be a deal. I just want to add that for me best ratio price/content/immersion is AMS, lot of content for one prize and as a backer I should receive all future DLC's for free. But don't know about situation with MP (there are some leaderboards, rankings, etc as wip).
  9. It's been almost a year since I first asked that question. I've collected AC, rF, rF2, AMS, R3E since then and I can say that Assetto Corsa has improved a lot (thanks to several grade-system sand sim-racing systems the community has introduced), and I've marked that sim as number one for non-league online racing. (apart from iRacing, of course).

I've become a backer for AMS too, I have great experiences with that sim.
  10. budlix

Wheel Rotator Premium Member

:roflmao: sorry, overlooked post-date. Nice you found your "comfort zone" during a time...