Best league/race to start racing online

Let me preface that I am an iRacing member and I am quite happy there. I am currently racing teh star mazda season.

However, I would like to start racing outside iRacing as well. I own all the Simbin Games as well as rFactor and NetKar Pro. I should also say I am a road racer and the ovals at iRacing are quite enough for me.

The reason I would like to race elsewhere is the different cars and tracks available. Not that iracing really lacks in that respect, but it is missing some tracks I really enjoy, and variety is the spice of life anyway :)

I am already registered and licensed here, except that beyond that I find it a bit obscure how to join a league and go racing once those steps are taken. But most importantly, I don;t want to get in over my head. I would prefer to start in a beginner league, learn the etiquette (and make sure my rig is all set up) and do some practice races to make sure I get the hang of it.

Things that worry me at the moment are:

Joining too hard a league
Joining a league with not too serious people or where egos run rampant
Making a fool of myself and find myself racing above my abilities.

Given all this and the fact that I can race only on weekends and evenings in California time (PST), what would the best league be for me and on what platform?

Thank you very much for your help.

Why not start racing in the many clubs offered? I think the clubs will give you some great experience with the racing community here. I started in the f1 2010 racing club and met some great guys there. I hope to get in on the GTR Evolution Club, as well as the nkpro club (once I get my license.) I'm pretty sure the leagues start at certain times during the year, similar to how a real season works. You might have to try reading and searching more about that though.

Joining too hard a league
There is no such thing here at RD - our leagues are open to all skill levels and as long as you play it safe on the track, you can race.
Joining a league with not too serious people or where egos run rampant
I find that with the leagues here on RD, there is a good mix of fun and competition. I don't think you need to worry about this.
Making a fool of myself and find myself racing above my abilities.
That is pretty much impossible to do... the guys that race at RD are always friendly and willing to help you out with anything as long as you ask.

Since you say you can only race on weekends and evenings, have you tried the Racing Club? Races are held for all the SimBin games, as well as rFactor and NetKar Pro almost every day of the week - just go to the games' respective subforums and you'll find a link to that specific game's Racing Club. In the RACE series racing club, we have a dedicated US community that runs races all the time. The races have a casual atmosphere which is aimed at just having fun, without all of the other technicalities that go with a league. Anyone can join, as always, and you don't need to be a super-fast driver to race (you'll almost always find someone of your skill level in any race).

Any other questions, just ask... :)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 169 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing