Best bang for buck on steering wheel and pedals.

After going back and forth with Logitech for the past few months, my G27 is dead and they want $175.00 to repair/replace it. As times are a bit tough in the money department for me right now I'm taking suggestions of what you guys think is the cheapest wheel/pedals to get the is actually decent. I really like having paddle shifters on the wheel but as long as it has buttons I'll be OK. FFB is kind of important but price is main concern.

Hi Erik

Best B4$ wheel, for me it would have to be, the Logitech Driving Force GT, works or both PS3 (Although PS3 drivers are having some set-up issues with F1 2011 ATM) and PC. I and a few of the guys I race with use them with our PC's and think its about the best wheel that you don't have to sell your grandmother to pay for?

They're currently currently going for between $99.00 from Amazon.com but may cost more from a shop, although you will have to hunt around to get it at that price as they tend to go as soon as they are in stock.

An alternative may be the "Thrustmaster Ferrari F430 Force Feedback Racing Wheel" ($155.17 from Amazon.com). I've never used it myself, but some of my friends have it and they say it really good too. It has better gear change paddles than the DFGT but I have read reports on Amazon of it being a little delicate so bear that in mind when your thashing it around the track. That's why I ended up buying the DFGT, although I'm sure there will be many on this forums who would be better placed than I to extoll the F430's virtues.

PS. You can (and myself and few friends have already) buy after-market flappy gear change paddles for the DFGT from GranTurGismo.com. A terribly nice chap called Kevin makes them himself and I can say that they work a treat.

Cheers :)

I have the Logitech Digital force pro, its the predecessor to the GT, I've been very, very impressed by it and its build quality and reliability. It's a shame you have had problems with Logitech, they are known for being great on customer service, looking at the prices around i would push hard with Logitech to make totally sure there's no compromise to be reached, held you a faithful Logitech customer that's been pushed into looking at leaving them for the competition, because you appear to have got a bad wheel from them, can they not see fit to at least meet you half way on the 175, and NO you don't want yet another repair - you have totally lost faith in the 'bad' wheel that you feel was sold to you with an inherent fault that they have failed to sort, and that's making you loose faith in Logitech products as a whole - stay calm, talk to someone who has the authority and power to grant you what you want (but don't talk down to the 'minions' who have to put you through); state your case reasonably including that you are unable financially to throw such large amounts of money at an already bad wheel - and maybe, just maybe your patience and frustration will be repaid, good luck.

That's a good idea Dave, I appealed to customer service just in the chat box on their web site, I only had the wheel for 4 months before it started going off. I have sent it to Logitech twice for them to repair it under warranty (which was 2-3 weeks each time of not having the wheel) and it would work perfect for about a day or two then back to the same problem

Bram

RaceDepartment Founder
Staff
Premium
If your wheel is still within the warranty ask for a full replacement and not for a repair. Make sure to skip the first line of support (web/chat) and call them directly.

My experience is that you always get a new wheel back.

Mark Gormley

#14 | The Silent Killer
What was wrong with it? I thought mine was knackered and was just about to return it when I realised leaving it plugged in overnight made the steering wheel not work. There's also a little known EU directive which extends warranties on electronics to 2 years, which supersedes all local legislation. I managed to get a G930 replaced under it. (EDIT: Just noticed your in the states so that's a no).

Failing that I'd have a completely amateur go at fixing it myself, depending on what the actual issue was.

What was wrong with it? I thought mine was knackered and was just about to return it when I realised leaving it plugged in overnight made the steering wheel not work. There's also a little known EU directive which extends warranties on electronics to 2 years, which supersedes all local legislation. I managed to get a G930 replaced under it. (EDIT: Just noticed your in the states so that's a no).

Failing that I'd have a completely amateur go at fixing it myself, depending on what the actual issue was.

One of the FFB motors went out, according to Logitech. I usually jump in and try to fix electronics and computers but just trying to open up the casing on the wheel proved to be a bit harder than it seems. Plus I haven't found a place that even sells the motors as separate parts. Also tech support on the phone had told me once that a sensory that measures where the wheel position is and sends that to the FFB motor was failing.

If you can't get any satisfaction from Logitech, send me a PM. I have a USB cable from Leo Bodnar and I have a fully functioning Driving Force Pro that I can sell you that will do for a decent replacement till your money situation looks better. The DFP that I have has never had the FFB used on it so the motors should be in near new condition. :)

Also, the motors in the G25/27 are Mabuchi RS540 motors, very common for radio controlled 1/10th scale cars.

Some time ago a bought a driving force gt for 100€ from a shop, it was cheaper than from Logitech website. I'm very happy with the wheel, it is my first wheel so i can't compare it, but i really like it, the pedal aren't as good as the g27, they only have two pedals, but everything works fine.

That's a good idea Dave, I appealed to customer service just in the chat box on their web site, I only had the wheel for 4 months before it started going off. I have sent it to Logitech twice for them to repair it under warranty (which was 2-3 weeks each time of not having the wheel) and it would work perfect for about a day or two then back to the same problem

We have two years warranty, but when your wheel break for the third time, you should get your money back or get a new wheel. They can't ask money for repair. I think it's even possible to ask P&P money back!

I've got a Thrustmaster F430 and cant rate it highly enough.
Great FFB, 10 buttons on and around the wheel, great paddles although could be slightly bigger an great peddles but would be better with a clutch. Only other thing is its only 270 degrees rotation

Wow.. Eric tell Logitech you want a replacement not just meet you half way!

I was very, very lucky, I picked the DFP up because the DFGT had just been released and the shop was selling the 'old's DFP stock off for 34.99 pounds delivered.... Wish I'd bought them all as i could have doubled my money easily. .

Wow.. Eric tell Logitech you want a replacement not just meet you half way!

I was very, very lucky, I picked the DFP up because the DFGT had just been released and the shop was selling the 'old's DFP stock off for 34.99 pounds delivered.... Wish I'd bought them all as i could have doubled my money easily. .

Dang Dave, 35 bucks! Lucky dog. I think I have decided on going with the DFGT and using the G27 pedals with it. I'll probably buy those aftermarket shifter paddles once I get the wheel also.

Dang Dave, 35 bucks! Lucky dog. I think I have decided on going with the DFGT and using the G27 pedals with it. I'll probably buy those aftermarket shifter paddles once I get the wheel also.
Actually Erik, that sounds like a great combo. If there is a weak link in the DFGT setup, I would have to say its the pedels (Although I have managed to augment mine with some strategically placed Bungi cord!!).

However, I have considered getting some Club Sport pedals as I understand the Load Cell braking makes a huge difference. Your G27 pedals sound like just the thing the DFGT needs and the flappy paddles would just be the cherry on top. Good luck fella.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 92 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 128 26.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 85 17.6%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 9.9%
  • €3001-5000