Believing you are good doesn't make you good!

Hi,

I absolutely love sim racing, but recently got a wheel for the first time. I've never really had the hardware to race online, but I'm in a position where I can now, especially with my new wheel.

I've always thought I was quite a good racer... until I find that I'm about 5-8 seconds of the pace when doing hot laps against other drivers around the world. Ouch!

I'm using Get Real as my difficulty setting, and I'm currently focusing on the Red Bull Ring, a track I have always loved, but I'm really struggling to figure out the best way to drive with Traction Control and all other assists off.

I'm struggling to comprehend how I can be that slow, when I already feel like I'm pushing to the absolute max at the moment. How big a part do setups play with those who are reaching the top 10?

Can any of you share any tips? Or is it just a matter of practice, practice, practice.

A good setup will allow you to drive at your pace comfortably - it probably will not make you 3-5 seconds faster just having a good tune set to your driving style. It's all practice - perfect practice.

Although, seems the more I practice the worse I get!

Good day,
DrDetroit

Reactions: Jap
I said this allot of times, depending on car track combo a setup will be a max 1.5sec no more.
When I started simracing I was 2sec slower than the slowest guy and I got no talent, but the determination to be good got me to do tons of practice.
To this day I do allot more practice than a talented sim, only today I did 5h for suzuka East competition to be 0.3, it's hard but I like it.

See following video and notice the way Alien drive iRacing, this Jari Lohtari is iRacing Pro and very fast. See the way he takes everything out from the machine, you will need a lots of laps to follow his style. I started simracing 1999 and I also have to push very hard to catch this speed. Normally i'm 0,5 - 1,0 sec per km slower than these Aliens but one day I will be faster, I just need more laps!!!

This is other guy and a little bit slower lap but still atm a little bit faster than me, it looks so easy but it's not, about 20 km and so many curves you can do a lot of mistakes which takes time...

Reactions: Jap
I would suggest stepping back from the absolute edge and concentrate on your lines.
Learn how to control the car, how to brake and accelerate the car without lockups or wheelspin.
It is better to be slightly slower into a corner if you can take the best line out carry more speed through the corner and accelerate sooner.
Practice always helps, usually when you return to the track the next day after putting in a decent ammount of laps something just clicks.

Guys, I won't comment on everybody's comments, but thank very much, some fantastic advice, really grateful for all your time. I'll be sure to watch those videos, and will make sure I get lots of practice.

Great advice also about stepping back from the edge, I suppose you see how far off the pace you are, and it's only natural to want to push to get closer, but by pushing without finely practiced skills, your just asking for heaps of frustration.

I'll look to get as much practice (wife-willing!! :O_o:) as I can! :)

Guys, I won't comment on everybody's comments, but thank very much, some fantastic advice, really grateful for all your time. I'll be sure to watch those videos, and will make sure I get lots of practice.

Great advice also about stepping back from the edge, I suppose you see how far off the pace you are, and it's only natural to want to push to get closer, but by pushing without finely practiced skills, your just asking for heaps of frustration.

I'll look to get as much practice (wife-willing!! :O_o:) as I can! :)
Can I suggest you consider trying our race club as a freemium member, you'll get help on Teamspeak from the other members and have some fun at the same time. Pace isn't important just enjoy the racing:)

Never forget: it is about driving the turns, not the straights. As I often see, during ghost challenges: they brake earlier, turn in a little bit later, but accelerate much earlier.
If you think, that you can't get faster with your driving style, try to change it a little bit. Check if your tires lock during braking. They mustn't. Hard to know if you're on an office chair at a desk, using dfp-pedals, like me;-)
I try to learn now an improved style, using a setup from an alien, damn light on the back... Let's see.

Best

Roman

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 181 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 356 28.0%