1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. #GiveAwayFriday. Win a copy of F1 2017 - The Game. Click here to join.

Behind the Visor - Tell Us More About You!

Discussion in 'PS4 | F1 2016 Weekday Championship' started by Andrew Wood, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300
    Hey everyone!

Well, since we seem to have more new people at the present time than we ever have before, I thought it might be fun to each post something about ourselves. How old are you? Where do you live? When did you start sim racing? What do you like to do in your spare time? Do you do any racing in real life? What other fun hobbies do you have? Stuff like that.

Just a little fun thread where we can maybe get to know each other better and maybe find some common ground outside of the game, since Sony doesn't think it's proper to include more than 8 people in a group chat. I look forward to learning more about each of you!

2. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300
    I'll kick things off :)

Name's Andrew, I'm 29 and live in Connecticut in the United States. Just moved here earlier in 2017 after spending my whole life living in NY (about 1 hour north of the city)
    I work in the Maritime industry - sending weather forecasts to commercial ships around the world. Been at my present job for almost 6 years,

I do arrive & drive go kart racing all across the country and finished 2nd overall (out of 92) at the Sport Kart Grand Nationals in California in 2015. I will also be competing in the Karting World Championships in Madrid, Spain this July (the week of my 30th birthday!) so I am hoping for some success in that as well. I am planning to get a go kart of my own once I am a bit more financially stable.

Other hobbies of mine include bowling, fitness, spending time with friends/family, and doing other traveling. I've been to 9 foreign countries outside of the US when I did semesters abroad through my Maritime career.

I started sim racing on PC in the way early days when I was just a kid and really started to get in to playing with other humans when I played F1 2010. I came in to contact with a guy called Justin on here and through him met @Jamie-Lee Mayers and joined my first official league on RD that was run by Jamie on Sunday afternoons, though there were a mere 6 of us or so who really turned up. Got really hooked on racing people that actually knew what they were doing so I wanted more. I was working evening shifts mostly at the time so really the only people I could play with were those on the other side of the globe, so I found a site called PRL, which had a Pacific Championship where I was the lone American with a bunch of Aussie/NZ folk. I was also playing in a kickaround "league" with some other Aussie folks I met in public lobbies at the time as well.
    I expanded on PRL to join this Tuesday Championship after watching some of Jamie's youtube race edits at the start of 2011 (Season 3 of the TC) where I went complete cold turkey on all assists racing on a controller. Back then, to get through a race without getting lapped by @SJM1337 and @Mikey Woolford was an accomplishment for me - mostly doing battle with @Ashley Blakeley race after race. I got a wheel for S4 and from there I have gotten to a point where I am now today - in the 5th season of this league - fighting for podium spots.

Outside of sim racing, I am a huge indycar fan and my favorite driver is Will Power - though I do also like Scott Dixon, Alexander Rossi, and James Hinchcliffe as well and like to see any other lower-funded team have a good showing. I plan to attend 5 races this year (Barber this coming weekend, the Indy 500, Toronto, Pocono, and Watkins Glen) and continue to collect tickets, keychains, autographs, and other memorabilia from the series. I also follow the NFL here and am a Jets fan (sadly) and don't see any hope of them having a great 2017 season but time will tell.
    I don't participate in any other sports myself, but I love being outdoors and plan to spend as much time out on the water on my neighbor's boat as I can putting back a few beers. Nothing like it.

Hey, thanks for reading! This has been fun.

3. Martijn Boontje

Martijn Boontje

Ratings:
    +252
    Ew, boats

• Wow Wow x 1
  4. Shly38

Shly38

Ratings:
    +57
    I'm Mike, Michael, Michelle and/or Shelley hence my psn ID. I'm 18 and was born in Yeovil, currently living close to Glastonbury if you've ever heard of the festival.

I also enjoy Karting but not as competitively or as well for that matter as Drew. Outside of that and my part time job, I am an incredibly slow 5k runner and formerly a black belt in taekwondo, although its been over two years since my last grading so I believe that doesn't apply to me any more.

I only have one passion in life and that is Motorsport. F1, BTCC, and MotoGP are the series I keep up with the most as well as WRC. I have attended one F1 race; Spa 2015. Was primarily a H├╝lkenberg fan back then and he failed to start the race :(. I have also attended Oulton Park BTCC in 2011/12 and Thruxton every year over the past decade. Picked up a pad at the age of 2 (so I'm told) and played F1 1998 for the first time and have been hooked on F1 games ever since.

Was mainly an offline player and would dabble in sprint mode when I was feeling particularly destructive. Had the fortune of meeting @Andrew Wood in a 5 lapper about 4 months ago. Since then I have taken part in 9 league races including an aor social and am yet to finish outside the top 6, a stat which is going to take a catastrophic hit this Sunday :roflmao::roflmao:

My uncle doesn't have kids of his own so he made sure I grew up an Arsenal fan but we won't talk about that. Tend to focus more on Yeovil Town nowadays as they have always been my local club.

That's me. Now anyone on the internet can find out most of my info if they look hard enough. Great.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford
    PS4 GP Lead Co-Ordinator Premium

Ratings:
    +979
    It's for this reason I'm very open about my life. You can hide it but people will find you anyway. I'll do mine later.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. TomAJ91

TomAJ91

Ratings:
    +11
    Figured I'd reply as I'm still a newbie.

My names Tom or Thomas if I'm trouble with mother or girlfriend, I'm 25 and live in Buckinghamshire, UK.

I used to be a avid PC gamer but unfortunately just got bored of playing games and didnt think having a 1k+ bit of kit to play F1 2015 was worth it, I sold up and bought a PS4 and have been playing F1 on a controller since.

I got brought into the league by Andrew Wood who found me in public lobbies doing 5 lappers, he messaged me and asked me why I'm so fast and thats because I used assists, Spain was my third race with no TC or ABS so I like to think I'm catching on quite well, although now considerably slower than Andrew :-(

Just bought my first home about 6 months ago with the Mrs and I currently work in the motor trade at BMW.

Apart from that I'm pretty boring!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mikey Woolford

Mikey Woolford
    PS4 GP Lead Co-Ordinator Premium

Ratings:
    +979
    Name - Mike/Mikey (Michael if i'm in trouble)
    Sex - Please.
    Age - 23
    Location - Salisbury, Wiltshire
    Job - Senior Accounting Administrator for a national Property Management Company

Born and raised into the video game industry by Playstation and my first racing game memory was Toca Touring Car Championship on the PS1 (**** me that was a game) and I have progressed up the ladder ever since. I was a founding member of Precision Racing League but then left that after a *ahem* dispute and now ply my trade on here and now AOR. I currently live with my parents as I'm trying to save money for a deposit on a house, house prices locally are very very high compared to the rest of the UK though and its proving difficult due to the fact that alcohol has an unhealthy addiction to me.

I haven't put much because most of you guys know what I'm like either through my Facebook or snapchat.

8. Martijn Boontje

Martijn Boontje

Ratings:
    +252
    Saif would have loved this topic to share some of his fitness pictures

9. HRacingGreen

HRacingGreen

Ratings:
    +46
    Alright Austin Powers

10. Danny Wardle

Danny Wardle

Ratings:
    +75
    I know I'm not here a lot, but I thought I'd do this anyway...

Name - Dan Wardle
    Age - 20
    Born in Wigan (shithole, only known for rugby and pies), but currently living in Newcastle upon Tyne as a final year History student at Northumbria University (HAWAY THE LADS!!!)

I started playing F1 games casually throughout F1 2010/11 but started league racing on F1 2012. I started racing on PRL, meeting people like @Ashley Blakeley and after a little incident a lot of us left and that's when I started speaking to such fellows as @Mikey Woolford, @Jamie-Lee Mayers and @SJM1337. *MIKEY 1 - 0 DAVEY*
    I don't really take F1 racing very seriously as a lot of you guys have seen because of my SHOCKING pace! It's all just a bit of fun for me, and being able to chat with the lads and have a laugh is all that matters since I know full well that I have no chance in hell of getting consistent points.

Other than motorsport, my main passion is Rugby League. I am a massive Wigan Warriors fan, who for people don't know are one of the most decorated sports teams in British sport. I also played from the ages of 7-14 before I suffered a double leg break playing 5-a-side football and only recently started playing again at Uni. During my time away from rugby I thought I'd try my hand at golf since my dad and grandad are both very good at it. Just to put it one way, I don't think I'll be getting to their standard any time soon haha!

A lot of the lads speak about my unhealthy obsession with women, but I mean if there's grass on the pitch...

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sean van Belkom

Sean van Belkom

Ratings:
    +13
    Why not
    Name: Sean van Belkom
    born in a town in the netherlands called Breda
    currently live with my parents in a little town called Etten-Leur
    My first ever f1 game i played was f1 championship edition when i was 7. was completely hooked on. i played since then ever f1 game from codemasters (except 2014) got in this league by meeting Andrew in a 5 lap lobby it begun with a little bit with a argument but couple racers later its was cool again and invited me for racedepartment since then i really enjoy league racing in this group. it is a chill enviroment here and i love racing with you guys. hope for many years that i can race here:)

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tim Crass

Tim Crass

Ratings:
    +61
    Hello from America guyz. Tim Crass 47 years old "the old man" raced with RD in 2012 and 2013. Im currently racing with the PRECISION RACING LEAGUE f1 2016 ps4. Names i raced with back then were T_CRASS_99 and DA_KILLAS-CRASS. My ps4 name now is THE-DITCH-WITCH

13. Andrew Wood

Andrew Wood

Ratings:
    +2,300
    Yes Tim, I remember you racing with us on F1 2012 in the RD Sunday League. Good to see you again! How did you find us?

14. Tim Crass

Tim Crass

Ratings:
    +61
    Just online search. Im gonna be racing f1 2017 and motogp 17 mostly in the future. I lost all the names i used to run with from RD. I dont know who is still here.

15. Cas_0807

Cas_0807

Ratings:
    +3
    Wigan is not only know from Rugby and pies matey. I'm a competitive dartsplayer (my 'story' will follow shortly) and I've been to Wigan four times to play darts (at the Robin Park Tennis Centre). I'm Dutch btw, but I really like it there. Friendly people, a nice city centre and quite a lot of decent hotels ;-p

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sean van Belkom

Sean van Belkom

Ratings:
    +13

17. Cas_0807

Cas_0807

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes! Do you play like competition or what? And when you train do you keep track of your average? If yes, what is it around usually?

18. Sean van Belkom

Sean van Belkom

Ratings:
    +13
    i play competition yes play in the highest of the youth and play with the adults the wbdf. My average id say 65 to 70 thats pretty normal for the youth but normally i dont keep track on my average

19. Cas_0807

Cas_0807

Ratings:
    +3
    So as promised, here's who I am:

I am Cas Hogenhout, 20 years old, born and raised in Zaandam, The Netherlands. It's a city 7 kilometers north of Amsterdam.

I got into sim racing only a few months ago. I used to watch F1 on TV when I was a kid with my dad, we even got up in the middle of the night if we had to. Then when I was like 14 we stopped watching and now Max Verstappen has fired up the flame, so to say, a few years back. I thought it'd be fun to do some driving myself as well so I bought a wheel. I enjoyed it so much that I really played this game a lot. When I got bored of racing against the AI (what is too easy now imo) I thought I'd give league racing a go. I saw some vids on Tiametmarduk's channel and it looked fun, so here I am. I'm pretty confident in the pace I have since I only race without assists for a couple of months. :)

Other hobbies of mine are sports, I really practice(d) a lot of them; football, tennis, athlethics, bike racing and now Volleybal and darts. I take darts quite seriously, so I really do travel a lot to practice it. Only started doing that when I was 16 years old. I've played with and against Gary Anderson and Michael Smith in Nottingham once when I was invited for a talentscouting day by Unicorn, great experience!

I currently working as a Social Media Engagement Specialsits for Philips in Amsterdam. I took a break from my study to make some money for a year and then move to Amsterdam. As it's quite expensive to do that, I thought I'd go make some money first, so that's going well for me. I'm studying to become a Digital Marketer by the way.

That's me in a nutshell. Feel free to ask anything if you have any questions. :)

20. Cas_0807

Cas_0807

Ratings:
    +3
    Nice! I play Super League myself, for the Taveerne. I also did the PDC Development Tour last year and this year, but this year isn't really going well for me unfortunately, I haven't been in the best form lately. Usual average of me is probably between 70 and 85, really depends on the day. I've had averages of over a 100 as well, but that's in games of best of 7 then, so it's easy to throw a couple of good legs. ;-)