F1 2013 Beginner Wheel

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
Hey guys, ive never used a steering wheel before and i really want to get into it. I was wondering, whats a good, not too expensive (stuff like the G27 is well out of my price range :p) wheel for a pad noob, thanks for any help in advance, it would be truly appreciated

Personally I don't think you can go much wrong with the Logitech Driving Force GT.

It roughly half the price of the G27, and it's pretty good. A would say quite lot of guys around here started with that wheel. I certainly did.

Logitech list it at £129.99 (G27 £269.00), but you can usually get it cheaper elsewhere. When I got it, it was £89.99 in Argos. I don't think they sell them anymore.

driving-gt-gaming-wheels-images.png

Current ebay listings :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/logitech-driving-force-gt

Of course this is just my opinion, because I've used one. I sure others will recommend other wheels.

Good luck :)

P.S For instance, I bought my current G27 brand new from ebay, and it was delivered direct from Logitech in the Netherlands. It cost me £150.00, a lot cheaper than list price.:)

I guess the guy had some sort of deal going on with Logitech.

Personally I don't think you can go much wrong with the Logitech Driving Force GT.

It roughly half the price of the G27, and it's pretty good. A would say quite lot of guys around here started with that wheel. I certainly did.

Logitech list it at £129.99 (G27 £269.00), but you can usually get it cheaper elsewhere. When I got it, it was £89.99 in Argos. I don't think they sell them anymore.

driving-gt-gaming-wheels-images.png

Current ebay listings :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/logitech-driving-force-gt

Of course this is just my opinion, because I've used one. I sure others will recommend other wheels.

Good luck :)

P.S For instance, I bought my current G27 brand new from ebay, and it was delivered direct from Logitech in the Netherlands. It cost me £150.00, a lot cheaper than list price.:)

I guess the guy had some sort of deal going on with Logitech.
cool, it looks like a mice wheel to, i definitely look into it :thumbsup:

Hello All
Not to hijack this thread, but sort of follows the initial question asked -
My position is that i am a paraplegic, and after using my Saitek joystick for most of my driving games and also F1 2013, i find i am not able to get close to some of the times listed here in the forums using the joystick, which is becoming a little frustrating. would anyone here have a recommendation for a wheel that i can use, as obviously, the pedels would not do me any good whatsoever :) - i would much prefur to have analog type controls for the accelaration and braking, any thoughts on this from the experts here ;)

many thanks in advance
Alan

Hi Alan,

The Logitech DFGT (as Graham pointed out) or Thrustmaster RGT FFB Clutch might do it for you.

If you want to manage gears manually it's a little more complicated, but still feasible.

HTH

Hello All
My position is that i am a paraplegic, and after using my Saitek joystick for most of my driving games and also F1 2013, i find i am not able to get close to some of the times listed here in the forums using the joystick, which is becoming a little frustrating. would anyone here have a recommendation for a wheel that i can use, as obviously, the pedels would not do me any good whatsoever :) - i would much prefur to have analog type controls for the accelaration and braking, any thoughts on this from the experts here ;)

many thanks in advance
Alan

Hi Alan

I am going to assume the you have a PC (not that it makes much difference). Perhaps you may find an XBox 360 controller for PC better than a joystick. Of course it's all finger and thumb controlled, but at least it has some analogue functions.

There are 2 thumb joysticks on the device which are analogue. There are also 2 triggers (brakes/throttle) operated by your forefingers. (red arrows)

d6f981a6-848a-490d-96be-d1f5e6849ed8_zps9ad270da.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...:aps,k:microsoft+xbox+360+wired+controller+pc

If you prefer a wheel, as you probably do. I can't see how you could add an analogue function for throttle and brakes. You would be left with just the digital buttons to press on the wheel (if you remapped the buttons), so the control would be on/off, which isn't ideal. Thinking of the Logitech DFGT, it has paddle buttons (large rocker switches) on the back of the wheel, which could be used as throttle and brake, if you opt for autogearbox in game. However they are still buttons, so not analogue.

So unless someone else knows of other choices available, your options maybe limited. I am not a great lover of hand held controllers in general, I prefer the mouse and keyboard (I don't have or want a console).

But ..... many types of games nowadays use this sort of controller, it could be a worthwhile investment for you. You would have something that can be used across the spectrum of games, especially where the joystick doesn't really cut the mustard :)

Hello All

many thanks in advance
Alan
Check this pal.I think that's what you are looking.
http://steelseries.com/products/other/simraceway-s1-steering-wheel

I like this bit ....... :)

The portable, motion-sensor wheel features a patented throttle and brake lever system that offers a fully simulated racing experience within hands reach.

You can experience full-range acceleration and braking on the back of the S1 Wheel. The right paddle – for acceleration/throttle – allows you the ability to vary the amount of throttle input, from feathering to fully depressing it for maximum acceleration. The paddle on the left – for braking/stopping – allows you the ability to vary the amount of braking input from, feathering to fully depressing for full braking force.

I just couldn't imagine holding the wheel out in front of myself for an extended period of time ..... :O_o:

Current price is around £100

£98 at Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/SteelSeries-Simraceway-SRW-S1-Steering-Wheel/dp/B006IR6NH8

41FwAX8pqOL._SX385_.jpg

DFGT is a good starter, but based on the price of wheels, if you are serious about getting into racing games, you might as well go for a more advanced setup, like the G27. What makes it good? Quality quality quality. I was amazing at how well made it felt compared to anything else I've owned, which includes the DFGT. It also comes with a six-speed manual shifter for games that are not F1.

Hello again to all.
Thanks very much for the advice and suggestions, you pointed me in the right direction.
I was considering getting a G25 or G27 setup and transfering the SRW-S1 wheel onto the rig, I found a site manufacturing a quick release kit from a chappie in Spain but after emailing for a quote over a week ago and still waiting for a reply, i decided to hunt a little more. Bingo, some enterprising fella has made this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151189956645?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648 -
so went and ordered one, a little bit of modification to be done to it but no biggie, also i managed to get a SRW wheel from Finland brand new for a very good price £57 pounds shipping incld. as mentioned above i am a paraplegic so felt the expense of the G25 or G27 route to be more than a little high and the capability of having the brake and accel on the SRW wheel just fits for me, but who knows, lets see how i get on with this setup and maybe the logitech kit will call out to me. here's hoping this all results in some quicker times and heck maybe get into some online racing :)
Thanks once again for the tips, all have a great Christmas and a cracking new year.
Laters
Alan

I have seen a mod to the g27 rig where they fitted a SRW wheel in place of the std g27 wheel, the added bonus here is that you get the FFB from the g27 steering coloum, but this would require an additional mounting plate and space to allow for the 'paddles' on the SRW wheel. check youtube, there are a few vids there showing different idea's.
cheers

Well - An update here regarding the Simraceways Wheel

Not too much to say at the moment, as i cannot get the thing to work properly - plugged into the pc, but as soon as the wheel is selected within 2013, the screen begins to black out for 1 or 2 seconds returns and then blacks out again, just not able to race with this going on, tried in other race programs i have but same issue, very bloody frustrating i can tell you. All drivers for display and mobo loaded to no avail, sod all from SRW regarding drivers, suspect a possible usb conflict, or failing that, a faulty wheel. going to keep trying to get this to run as it has been a bit of an costly buy for no joy so far. untill next time Happy New Year ;-)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 108 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 284 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 412 39.9%