Because a computer is always right...?

I guess is better to get every time marked dirty automatically and deal with the one or two 'special cases' if they happen and are challenged by the team than having to manually decide on every lap of every car.

But the biggest problem is how long is to take a decision. In Silverstone there was this button/renault doubt that went on longer than the start of next session. Issues should be completely clear before another session starts.

that system is used in the Australian V8 Supercars championship and it works just fine, if the transponder pass over the one install into the track then its automatically recorded as cutting no delay or interventions from the steward and not contestable so i don't see why it can't work for F1.

that system is used in the Australian V8 Supercars championship and it works just fine, if the transponder pass over the one install into the track then its automatically recorded as cutting no delay or interventions from the steward and not contestable so i don't see why it can't work for F1.
But why even have such nonsense? Tarmac and walls for city circuits or tarmac, curbing, a 24" patch of grass and 25ft of pea gravel.

All problems solved.

No one runs wide to gain advantage if there is a wall or a gravel and those that run off track in an accident get slowed by said gravel.

And those that tempt fate by sticking 2 tyres onto the grass verge will spin out - into the gravel trap.

This idea that all tracks have to be 100% clinical and sterile like some sort of interior RC car carpet surface is why I don't bother watching motorsport any more.

Other than the odd Indy car event all the rest are a 3 ring circus with the wealthy organizers bankrupting the team owners with the most absurd rules and guidelines (only needed because of a previous more absurd rule) as the deepest market (i.e. Ferrari or Porsche AG) manipulate the rules to their advantage.

Yet another electronic gizmo to further sanitize any hope of healthy competition.

And as for Aussie Rules V8 its just NASCAR with right hand turns. :p

• Deleted member 130869

Vettel got penalized I think in China, many years ago for speeding in the pitlane when in fact it was a mistake. All was done automatically but the calculation wasn't correct.

Brands Hatch uses this. If a car goes over it, a photo is taken, and unless there is a reasonable excuse (spinning car in front of them, extremely sideways etc), then a penalty is handed out. But all the photos are looked at by a human to work it out. It's the best idea the FIA have had for a while.

This is a problem that should be held in check on every corner. Once drivers can be brought to stay on the track by issuing penalties all should be good. These are the best drivers in the world , right. They can position their cars to the exact point they want it to be in, correct?

It would be nice to simply see the pavement end and grass up to the edge but it simply won't work, in no time at all hot tires will be churning it into a mess and creating deep wells with the edges of the track being mini cliffs for wheels to fall off of. Breakages and accidents will the day.

Good system, can't argue against it.
There's usually only 1 or 2 corners on a track where they can gain advantage by going off.
of course, as they say -- they will still look at replays to see if they were forced off by another car during the race; this just alerts the stewards.
no problem.

someone remember this? Mansell Mansell had to be penalized for take La Source to wide and over the limits several times...but who cares!

Now the marshalls seems to be the protagonists

This is not a Sunday evening drive.
These guys are 'pushing' cars to the absolute limit of performance.
Occasionally they'll go over the limit.
I don't want race results determined by that...less we see guys driving to less than the maximum and potential passing opportunities disappear.
Ask yourselves...."How many times have you seen passes at the Hungaro-ring in the exact area where the sensor were placed?"
The answer is....many.
They'll be no more passing there in future for fear of a penalty.
That doesn't spice up the racing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back