1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

BBC reveal which races are to be shown live next season

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Shane Butler, Dec 22, 2012.

1. BBC will show ten races live next season with the others being extended highlights. For formula one viewers in the UK, this is a very important announcement, especially for those who do not have Sky F1.

Australian Grand Prix - Sky
    Malaysian Grand Prix - Sky
    Chinese Grand Prix - Sky/BBC
    Bahrain Grand Prix - Sky
    Spanish Grand Prix - Sky/BBC
    Monaco Grand Prix - Sky
    Canadian Grand Prix - Sky/BBC
    British Grand Prix - Sky/BBC
    German Grand Prix - Sky
    TBC - Sky/BBC
    Hungarian Grand Prix - Sky
    Belgian Grand Prix - Sky/BBC
    Italian Grand Prix - Sky/BBC
    Singapore Grand Prix - Sky
    Korean Grand Prix - Sky
    Japanese Grand Prix - Sky/BBC
    Indian Grand Prix - Sky/BBC
    Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Sky
    United States Grand Prix - Sky
    Brazilian Grand Prix - Sky/BBC

Me personally, I'm perhaps a little dissapointed. Although Monaco is quite a boring Grand Prix most of the time, it is nevertheless an amazing challenge and seeing F1 cars inches away from the barriers is an astonishing sight. It's one of the jewels of the calender and to not be able to see it live is a bit annoying for me. And also the fact that Australia is not going to be live is another dissapointment as the first race is always interesting. And if Japan is being shown live at 5 a.m. in the morning then why isn't Australia? But all BBC are doing at the end of the day is making the best out of a bad situation. I think they cant show 3 races in a row as highlights and sky have a choice as to some of the races they want aswell.

Suzi Perry is the new presenter, replacing Jake. I've never seen her before so I dont know what she will be like, but nevertheless I'm gutted that Jake is gone. :thumbsdown:

• Like Like x 2
  2. I would have atleast expected the season starter at Australia :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Yeah, I would have expected Singapore and Austrailia.

4. I think it works Sky pick a few races then BBC pick a few races
    I think BBC were first so they got the races like Brazil, Silverstone & Spa
    then Sky would pick tracks like Malaysia, Australia & Monaco, Australia and Malaysia because, they would want the first couple so they could show off their product without BBC being live and maybe get some extra Sky subscriptions ;) I think that is how it works

5. BBC probably didn't choose it because its at an awkward time, but the first round is really interesting anyway, even if the race is boring. I would also have thought it would be good to pull in casual fans interested in seeing the opening of the season, not to mention real fans, who I imagine are annoyed like myself.

6. , Sky Boradcasts all Races, so they really don't have to pick any at all, it's down to the BBC and what makes sense for them, the whole point they of them giving up broadcasting all the races live with "aparantely" due to money , which i think is nonsense.

im not happy with their choices of races to broadcast, oh well :)

7. No what I meant was Sky pick what they get exclusively live, ;)

8. ahh ok, should have said that :p

9. The casual fans would not watch the live race because it's on early, so the highlights package is sufficient for them. As a proper fan (just), I'd prefer it to be on early, but it's out of our hands unless one of you is the BBC Director General.

10. Some choices I can understand, others I can't. So they broadcast the Italian one, which is usually pretty quick and dull, and they leave out Singapore (long and tricky)? My top 10 races I'm looking forward to the most:
    Australian Grand Prix - Sky
    Malaysian Grand Prix - Sky

Monaco Grand Prix - Sky
    Canadian Grand Prix - Sky/BBC
    British Grand Prix - Sky/BBC
    Belgian Grand Prix - Sky/BBC
    Singapore Grand Prix - Sky
    Korean Grand Prix - Sky
    Japanese Grand Prix - Sky/BBC
    Brazilian Grand Prix - Sky/BBC
    And only 5 of em are broadcast live by the BBC. :O_o:

11. Chris Hempsall

Chris Hempsall

I'm not going to watch BBC next season.

I've seen a full season of F1 on ITV, a full season on BBC, so for 2013 I'm going to watch every race on Sky, see how it compares over a full season.

12. Better if you ask me I watched Full weekends for most of races. I don't know what improvements they will bring for 13. But they are better in some times than BBC was
    Merry Christmas Chris

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris Hempsall

Chris Hempsall

Merry Christmas :)

14. James Chant

James Chant
    Premium Member

If its a cost thing, then why don't they just cover the European dates?

15. I think the costs for travelling and producing the show pale in comparison to the licensing fees. Plus, you know, they're British. I suppose India and Canada are closer to them than the 'continent' ;)

16. Hoping to watch the season thru ma xbox with SKY, is this possible?

17. if you have sky sports package then yeah. I think that is how it works

• Like Like x 1
  18. WOOHOO!!

19. I envy you :cautious:

20. There are other ways..... :sneaky:

I don´t have Sky Sports but i still watch every Sky event they make :)