BBC drop F1, moves to Channel 4 in UK FTA Deal

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
bbcf12012.png

In a much rumoured move in recent weeks the BBC have confirmed it will be axing its Formula One coverage from the start of the 2016 Formula One season.

It was widely expected that ITV would pick up the reigns where the BBC left off at the end of 2015, however in a surprise move outside bet Channel 4 have swooped in a signed a 3 year deal to host 10 live races (without adverts) starting at the season opening Australian Grand Prix in March.

Yet to confirm its broadcasting team, chief executive David Abraham was understandably pleased with his channel's new addition:
"Formula One is one of the world's biggest sporting events with huge appeal to British audiences. I'm delighted to have agreed this exciting new partnership with Bernie Ecclestone to keep the sport on free-to-air television.”

Bernie Ecclestone commented:
“I am sorry that the BBC could not comply with their contract but I am happy that we now have a broadcaster that can broadcast Formula 1 events without commercial intervals during the race.
“I am confident that Channel 4 will achieve not only how the BBC carried out the broadcast in the past but also with a new approach as the World and Formula 1 have moved on.”

Explaining the decision by the BBC to drop its coverage of Grand Prix racing,
BBC Director of Sport Barbara Slater says dropping F1 will help ease the financial pressures laid out by the Director General.
The Director General announced recently that the BBC needs to plug a £150 million annual gap in its finances from next year,” she wrote in a blog on the BBC website. “He outlined that two-thirds of the savings would come from 'scope' savings, meaning that the BBC would stop doing some of the things that we currently do. BBC Sport was asked to deliver approximately £35 million of these savings.

...and the BBC is announcing today that a significant chunk of BBC Sport's remaining savings target will be delivered through the immediate termination of our TV rights agreement for Formula 1. Any decision to have to stop broadcasting a particular sport or sporting event is hugely disappointing and taken reluctantly.”

The recent deal does not affect Sky Sports F1 exclusive live coverage of the sport.

What do you think of the latest deal? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited by a moderator:
They'll have Fearne Cotton and Vernon Kaye host it, and every lap you can phone in to vote a driver off. Nick Grimshaw will do the technical segments.

It p***** me off that now the only thing now I'll be watching on the BBC here in the UK is Breakfast Time for 1/2 an hour while getting ready for work, AND have to pay a licence fee for!!!

It's a sad day for Motorsport license payers....a couple of years ago we lost Moto GP and now F1 on the BBC. I can't help but be a little worried about the coverage coming up for us from 2016 on Channel 4. Now we'll get uninterrupted live races and adverts during the highlights probably...now I have no need for to pay the license, as this was the only thing I enjoyed from them, until they close the loophole of needing one to watch pre-recorded shows.

It's somehow sad that the BBC will stop their coverage as I understand they have a long history of providing F1 coverage. Personally I did like the pundits David Coulthard, Eddie Jordan and presenter mrs. Lee McKenzie (the latter being very good looking imo :whistling:), though the rest of the team I won't miss really.

Even though coverage shift to Channel 4, it appears to be only for 10 races :thumbsdown:, so for the remaining 11 races of next season I'll still have to rely on streams of Sky Sports F1

Cannot blame the BBC, after all they need to save money for Wimbledon, The Badminton horse trials, middle class rugby (no money for rugby league) and the ever popular boat race.

Most of the blame is aimed at little greedy Bernie :-P

PS and the extended coverage of any major American political election (maybe a little off topic or not you decide)

PPS also no pic of Suzi Perry in the BBC promo shot, shocking. :-P

http://suziperry.com/gallery/

Last edited:
So will foxsports still cover? or do Australian residents have to get into ch4 now?
Foxtel will still be using the SkyF1 deal, so every session live with Qually and Races ad-free. As for Channel 10, I'm not sure what they're going to do.

Hopefully no more Eddie "I can do it better but didn't" Jordan.
More money now for all those wonderful cooking shows James Martin does. I'm so glad I pay for my licence fee can't get enough dancing cooking antique property shows.

Cannot blame the BBC, after all they need to save money for Wimbledon, The Badminton horse trials, middle class rugby (no money for rugby league) and the ever popular boat race.

Most of the blame is aimed at little greedy Bernie :-P

PS and the extended coverage of any major American political election (maybe a little off topic or not you decide)

PPS also no pic of Suzi Perry in the BBC promo shot, shocking. :-P

http://suziperry.com/gallery/

Most of the blame actually lies with the government which is forcing huge cuts on the BBC.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back