Tracks Bathurst 2017 [WIP]

Thats what I thought really, he still might have made some good buildings, or gathered some useful textures. But you know better.

Really looking forward for proper Bathurst in AC. I wish it would take less to do a car, I would start modding 90s V8 commodore right now.

Cheers Guys.

..Houston...we have landscape: :ninja:

A bit messy at the track edges but I'm not in the mood to snap verts today, maybe a few too many poly's but I can easily dial that back a little before working on the texture overlay.

WJjScV4.jpg

fklyNw9.jpg

2FWR4gM.jpg

Last edited:
r@m you probably have enough info thanks to the effort by GTVirus, but if there's anything you think you need I live about 5km from the track, please don't hesitate to ask for help with the noble cause. Almost every version of this track is wrong where its the hardest; the dipper and forest elbow; its steeper! The same applies to Laguna Seca and the corkscrew. The new track in AC finally looks like it does in real life.

@goffred I'll most definitely be contacting you in the near future, many thanks for your offer.

I hate loose interpretations of tracks, it has to be accurate or I just don't see the point.

The only thing keeping me from working on this full-time is the day job, I'm a contract based 3D Freelancer so I can only fully commit when work slows down or I give the middle finger to a client.

Thanks for all the positive support, my attention to detail may cost the odd FPS but I think it's worth it. ;)

As we all know 3D grass in AC is rather crap, Bathurst has very varied grass verges and edges, all very patchy and uneven, so I needed away to add more variation, colour and control.
This is distributing 3D grass meshes via texture color ID in Max, you can use the same multi-layer RGB mask to distribute the 3D meshes, so the grass aligns perfectly to the detail texture.

3 meshes:

Red for clumps, Green for edge strip, and Blue for main grass.

I still need to put it through it's paces and experiment with different mesh shapes, a mix of X and Y meshes would give better coverage on the main grass (blue) area, but I'm already pretty happy with the results the method produces.

SfW3pjn.png

Last edited:
As we all know 3D grass in AC is rather poop, and Bathurst has very varied grass verges and edges, all very patchy and uneven, so I needed away to add more variation, colour and control.
This is distributing meshes texture via color ID in Max, you can use the same multi-layer RGB mask to distribute the 3D meshes, so the grass aligns perfectly to the detail texture.

3 meshes:

Red for clumps, Green for edge strip, and Blue for main grass.

I still need to put it through it's paces and experiment with different mesh shapes, a mix of X and Y meshes would give better coverage on the main grass (blue) area, but I'm already pretty happy with the results the method produces.

SfW3pjn.png
now that is real feel grass :thumbsup: So the middle one is a LOD stage?

God damn, that grass looks amazing.
I think one of AC's faults is that its texture work is pretty poor. Some things like tarmac looks ok in isolation, however there are abrupt edges, harsh borders, maps not blending at all. Some of it looks pretty amateur. I have no problem with the mesh / models in AC, but the texture work looks like its from 2003.

I recently started falling in love with racing super scary tight fast street circuits like Macau and Bathurst. Always had been a huge fan of Bathurst 12 hour race as well. Having recently raced once again on that circuit with a currently available mod, I have become envious of the sims and generally driving games that have an accurate version of this track, but I couldn't find anything good.
And here you are coming to save the day! :D Scratch built with laserscan data? That is just incredible! Can't wait for the early and final results, really looking forward to it. Good luck! :D

#KeepingACAlive

As we all know 3D grass in AC is rather crap

SfW3pjn.png

Looks perfect ! Though, I'm not sure what the performance would be as it is quite dense.

By the way, I'm getting really into V8 supercars lately, love watching YT videos. I think it coulb be best racing series of the present.

I think it’s less about the V8 engine and more the fact that it’s salon cars with no electronics. They are very raw cars really, don’t think changing what’s powering them will make much of a difference

Yeah, although V8 is always nice, and it sounds great. But the most important thing is how they drive, I love how those cars moves. Gonna try V8 supercars mod for AC today. Definitely is going to be epic on this mod track, which Ram is doing. I am also thinking to do the Gold Coast, or at least scratch the surface.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 219 14.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 216 14.4%