Austria back on the schedule for 2014!

Great news!

The Austrian Grand Prix will return to Formula 1 in 2014 after an 11 year absence, it has been announced.
The event will be held at the Red Bull Ring, with a provisional date of July 6th.
“Dietrich Mateschitz [owner of Red Bull] and Bernie Ecclestone have reached agreement to the effect that Formula 1 will come back to Styria next year,” read a report in the Austrian press.
Red Bull bought the circuit and renovated it after it fell into disrepair following the final Grand Prix at the A1-Ring in 2003.
It reopened in 2011 and has since hosted rounds of the DTM championship, as well as the Formula Renault 3.5 Series.
Reigning world champion Sebastian Vettel also demonstrated his championship winning Red Bull RB8 machine at the circuit last December.
The Red Bull Ring was one of the venues linked to the aborted twentieth race for 2013.
The return of the circuit will need official approval from the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council before the event is included on the final 2014 calendar.

http://www.f1zone.net/news/austria-returns-to-f1-calendar-in-2014/19787/

The only problem i see here is that with the easing on testing next year and this being Red Bull´s own official test track i can imagine Ferrari might voice some concerns.
It would be like hosting a GP in Fiorano.

Wouldn't think it being RBR testing ground gives them so much edge. The circuit is conventional in design compared to Fiorano it's been resurfaced AFAIK so there might lie few secrets that gives them one day advantage.

But i'm glad that A1 finally makes its return, i love the circuit. Unlike Hocke, A1 didn't suffer so much when it was redesigned, actually it got a lot better.

Watched DTM there two years ago, Euro Trucks last month and I will most probably visit Spielberg again in August for ADAC GT Masters ... and next year comes F1. Good, I will be there :)!

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back