Audi R8 LMS #29 Montaplast by Land Motorsport Rolex Daytona 24h 2018

Skins Audi R8 LMS #29 Montaplast by Land Motorsport Rolex Daytona 24h 2018 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
The skin recreation is looking good, but the file handling is horrible. Tire texture has the same size as the main car texture.

Why do you use an 4K uncompressed texture for the skin map when there are only 2 colors and no details? An compressed 512 px texture does the same job and is fracture in filesize.
Sadly the tires are bad, too.
Only one-colored grey sidewall, no information alpha, bad file handling and why is there no blurred tire texture?

And something is bugged with your dds-export settings, as i can only open half of the textures in PS.

As a guideline: orientate at standard file settings, sizes and compression methods (DXT5 / DXT1). Use more resolution and file quality where it does make a big visual difference, like a 4K main skin texture instead of 2K. Check if a texture really needs an alpha channel.

I didn't rate your file yet, because of mixted feelings. Feel free to take a look at my latests skin, how i do set my texture files: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/2018-superbowl-52-corvette-c7r-skinpack-2k-4k.19500/
-------
The 'Audi Sport' text on the engine cover is white. ;)
land.JPG

The skin recreation is looking good, but the file handling is horrible. Tire texture has the same size as the main car texture.

Why do you use an 4K uncompressed texture for the skin map when there are only 2 colors and no details? An compressed 512 px texture does the same job and is fracture in filesize.
Only one-colored grey sidewall, no information alpha, bad file handling and why is there no blurred tire texture?

And something is bugged with your dds-export settings, as i can only open half of the textures in PS.

As a guideline: orientate at standard file settings, sizes and compression methods (DXT5 / DXT1). Use more resolution and file quality where it does make a big visual difference, like a 4K main skin texture instead of 2K. Check if a texture really needs an alpha channel.

I didn't rate your file yet, because of mixted feelings. Feel free to take a look at my latests skin, how i do set my texture files: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/2018-superbowl-52-corvette-c7r-skinpack-2k-4k.19500/
-------
View attachment 234291
Thanks for your feedback. I'm still learning. This is only my 3rd skin really. I assumed incorrectly that the map file had to be the same resolution as the main file. Can you advise what you use to save your DDS texture, I was using the Nvidia tools but it suddenly stopped working and crashes Photoshop every time despite reinstallation so I switched to intel texture works which has much fewer options so that may be the issue with the texture file. The Nvidia one is not supported on Photoshop cc

There's zero guidance anywhere online (not anything up to date at least) of how to do this, especially with regards to map files so I'm having to figure out as I go along.

I should have added to the notes that my tires are a very early WIP so there will be more details added but didn't want to leave the car on the standard tires as it looks wrong and wanted to release it now

As @Apexxer is having an issue it looks like I have the wrong settings using the newer Intel plugin. I will release an update shortly to fix it, and also fix the white lettering on the Audi sport logo. Unfortunately I don't have time to improve the look of the tires at the moment but will be doing so soon.

davewilliams000 updated Audi R8 LMS #29 Montaplast by Land Motorsport Rolex Daytona 24h 2018 with a new update entry:

Optimisation and Audi Sport Lettering fix

• Changed texture export settings in photoshop resulting in a massive reduction in file size - now aprox 1/4 the total size it was and improved compatibility as well.
  • Completely new map file (matte/gloss paint effects). Changed green parts to be ever so slightly less matte now, but all logos/stickers are fully matte so looks better.
  • Fixed Audi sport logo on engine cover to have white lettering and improved image quality of this part as well.
  • Included missing tyre blur...

Read the rest of this update entry...

-------
View attachment 234291

Hope the v1.1 released today resolves most of your issues with it. I have been looking into texture export settings and believe I now have the correct one. DXT5 is the lowest I can go with the Intel tool. The intel tool supports newer compression standards than the nvidia one (which hasn't been updated in several years) which if that's what you're using explains why you couldn't open some of the textures in PS. I've now found the setting equivalent to DXT5 so will be using that from now on. https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-texture-works-plugin

Also the intel tool seems to have given me much reduced file sizes. In conjunction with reducing the image size for the map files as per your suggestion, the total file size (unzipped) has now gone down from aprox 190mb to just over 53mb, despite adding 2 extra files for the missing tyre blur textures, so I think this is a huge improvement.

I was initially taken aback a bit by your comments but it has pushed me to do more research into the correct settings which means a positive outcome.

As I said before I'm still learning, and the tires will be improved soon - its the first time I attempted tires and am having to figure it out by trial and error :)

As @Apexxer is having an issue it looks like I have the wrong settings using the newer Intel plugin. I will release an update shortly to fix it, and also fix the white lettering on the Audi sport logo. Unfortunately I don't have time to improve the look of the tires at the moment but will be doing so soon.

Seems to have improved a bit... I can finally see the skin in the garage; however when I select the skin for the car in the car selection screen, the preview is still blank and when I load into the garage view it loads a blank white car. But at this point I can select through the skins while in garage preview and I have to cycle thru the skins from the first one and then when I select this skin in garage it will load. A very nice skin btw. But that is the only way I can see the skin. When I try to load the car into a practice or race, it just loads another skin at random... Not sure why this is occurring... Perhaps I can test further by removing all other skins temporarily, not sure if it is possible that another skin is interfering...? Also, I have all the default skins for this car removed form the cars folder, but I have backed them up. So not sure about the possibilities of that being the cause of the issues I face. No other skins I have seem to be having this issue. Thanks for your effort in sorting this out, and keep up the great work you do.

Whoops sorry hopefully that will fix it. Thanks for highlighting how to fix. I'll do an update to save this issue in future.

Strange it doesn't have a problem on mine, could be because I use content manager perhaps

Whoops sorry hopefully that will fix it. Thanks for highlighting how to fix. I'll do an update to save this issue in future.

Strange it doesn't have a problem on mine, could be because I use content manager perhaps

Yay! That fixed it! Live and learn, thanks for the sharing the knowledge!

Attachments

• Screen.png
    Screen.png
    755.5 KB · Views: 335
Yay! That fixed it! Live and learn, thanks for the sharing the knowledge!
Good stuff... I was just about to say that I tried it myself with the default action launcher and had the same results as you... Lesson learned! I haven't used the default launcher in well over a year probably :)

I'm working on improving the tires next as they are very lacking... I just need to learn how lol

PS the audioloids sound mod makes this car sound so much better... Check my video to hear it ;)

Good stuff... I was just about to say that I tried it myself with the default action launcher and had the same results as you... Lesson learned! I haven't used the default launcher in well over a year probably :)

I'm working on improving the tires next as they are very lacking... I just need to learn how lol

PS the audioloids sound mod makes this car sound so much better... Check my video to hear it ;)

Oh, I'm sure you'll learn and they'll look great! Surely there are many people here to support your endeavor... Thanks again for the skin! I'll have to get around to reviewing some others I have got from you. And yeah, I'll check that sound mod out, thanks for the info!

As promised, I'm working on much better tires...

Obviously need to make all the sidewall writing darker but I'm getting there I think :)

I had to make up a safety warning as there aren't any high enough resolution pics of the slicks to read it from. Mine says "FAILURE TO ADHERE TO RECOMMENDED MINIMUM INFLATION PRESSURE MAY RESULT IN DELAMINATION AND/OR OTHER UNDESIRABLE HANDLING CHARACTERISTICS" :laugh:

davewilliams000 updated Audi R8 LMS #29 Montaplast by Land Motorsport Rolex Daytona 24h 2018 with a new update entry:

Brand New Tires and folder name fix

I've now learned how to make tires and given a much needed refresh to the tires on this car. Tried to make them as accurate as possible with the few low(ish) resolution photos that I could find.

Stripes on the wheel rims have been aligned with the air valve as I've been told they are to make it easier to find the valve.

I've also renamed the skin folder to remove the # that was causing issues for people using the standard AC launcher, so be sure to delete the old folder before putting...

Read the rest of this update entry...

"Thanks.. glad you finally got it working! :D Note that the sponsor configuration is slightly different between the ROAR test and the race. I started off with test photos but by the time I got to applying sponsors the race was done so I've matched it to that. I've spent hours looking at photos on motorsport.com, and land's own Facebook page as well as their site.. https://land-motorsport.de/fotoalbum/imsa-rolex-24-at-daytona-2018/ ;)"

Thanks for pointing that out! I was looking at the wrong page... :roflmao:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 380 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 258 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 248 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.7%
  • < 5 years