rF2 Audi R8 Challenge @ Brands Hatch - Wed 10th Dec

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Things started pretty good in the middle of the pack with close racing until my big mistake.
Recovering from that meant destroying the tires while trying to catch the cars in front. :p

After some time i had climbed a few position but was alone and was worried about tire wear. To mix things up and slot in closer to other cars i decided to pit and change the tires. With fresh tires i caught Daiman and started to look for Gijs. Things weren't looking to good with the time running out and still about 8 seconds to recover. Then Gijs was off track and finally grabbed the position.

One lap later connection lost. :rolleyes:
Well it was still pretty fun to recover from the small crash and then after the pitstop to push to the limit to see if i could catch someone.

Last edited:
after the restart i was starting up the front of the pack, i decided i would move to the side and let everyone past so i wasnt getting in the way, but still managed to get in the way of @Matt Horst - sorry bout that. All was well until i started seeing the lead drivers behind me, from then on i spent more time moving to the side to let people pass than concentrate on driving. Im just not ready for this yet... :redface:

Dont worry about this. Everybody did at some time his first steps. Maybe i include tomorrow a bit lapping and getting lapped in the academy.

Had a good start and managed after a few laps to overtake Josh and claim P2. Then i did some small mistakes. So i was back at P3. I could close the gap to Josh again but i saw Matt was closing the gap in small steps. Then Josh did a small mistake and i could sneak through again at P2. Then i only tried to manage the gap to Matt as good as possible.
Looks like the race was to short. I had 50% tires left :p

after the restart i was starting up the front of the pack, i decided i would move to the side and let everyone past so i wasnt getting in the way, but still managed to get in the way of @Matt Horst - sorry bout that. All was well until i started seeing the lead drivers behind me, from then on i spent more time moving to the side to let people pass than concentrate on driving. Im just not ready for this yet... :redface:
It's a steep learning curve but don't keep pulling over, it's up to the person behind to get past you. I still think maybe we should have a noob race on another server If we can get enough interest and that way we are leaning race craft without worrying about the other drivers. Mind you I was n't worried about them on Monday but it is a bit intimidating racing against some of the aliens. Another thing, how come nobody was in team speak and why can't we talk during the race? It is suppose to be a fun night yes? I know race 07 have the same policy but GSCE have a lot more chatting in teamspeak so come on guys you have your fsr and stuff for the serious stuff, how about we get some banter going during races. After David left TS the other night I was left on my own talking to someone who wasn't even in the race lol. Anyway Marc I'll be in on Monday with the awesome Ferrari so get practising cos I ain't finishing behind you lol

I got home just as qualifying was about to start so i was in a hurry to get in and forgot about ts.Sometimes i don't feel like ts and sometimes i do.I don't like a lot of talking sometimes wile i drive,especially when i am trying to catch the likes of @Simon Christmann.:D

Yeah we realise that, but some people have fun in a bit more of a serious way. I know i sometimes really enjoy focusing when i am driving but sometimes i like to get on TS when it is a bigger field. Also you can talk in TS during a race but if you talk too much some might ask you to talk less and some will just mute volume and be on their way. What the text when you log into the server is referring to is the in-game text chat that is very distracting when people talk as it comes up and disrupts the screen with bulky text. It is okay in practice and in between sessions but is not okay when in a qualifying session or a race. :)

I don˙t know, when I want to talk, I am talking focused to the subject of discussion, when I am racing, even club races, I want to be focused to the race and I never use TS, except during endurance events, just to exchange useful information with my teammates what is going on around me, but even then just the most needed facts, nothing else.

... maybe, just maybe I am just incapable to do two things at the same time :D.

Fine but I think you guys are missing the bit about it's only for fun.

It only for fun, but it makes for me more fun if you can stay focused and have nice battles and discuss them after the race ;)

I don˙t know, when I want to talk, I am talking focused to the subject of discussion, when I am racing, even club races, I want to be focused to the race and I never use TS, except during endurance events, just to exchange useful information with my teammates what is going on around me, but even then just the most needed facts, nothing else.

... maybe, just maybe I am just incapable to do two things at the same time :D.

I was in TS and it was nice silent during the race. I also prefer only to chat about important informations during a race.
For example about gaps, tire wear, strategy and all this stuff in endurance races or when running in a league race with the teammate about our race and also strategy and about how we can achieve the best result for the team.

That was a great Race.
First great to see new drivers on the grid and some very fast experienced guys.
I was P6 in Quali which was OK.
I pulled to the side to let Francisco through in the opening laps since he had P2 originally so I figured it was fair.
I was pleased to hold P4 for some time and had a fast and consistent @Matt Horst in pursuit. The tinyest of errors and he would close up. But I held him off for a few laps and that pleased me.

Had a nice gap to P6 but spun and took damage so came in for repairs and tyres while I was there.
On rejoining I was 39 sec to @Daiman Patel but I stayed in P8 till the end.
In all I was happy to do most of my laps at a good pace.

@Marc Beswick
Mate don't worry at all.
Everytime you turn up you will make mistakes and you will learn and get faster (setups, pace, tactics, avoiding errors). OK I'm, only mid-pack to upper mid-pack depending on the car/track, but 12 months ago I was 5 seconds off the pace and would have been lapped here multiple times.

I think I speak for all when I say we are more pleased than anything to have a new driver and will enjoy watching you get up to speed.

On being lapped:
Its very easy to panic and over react and put your car in funky surprising places.
Generally yes just drive your line. But do nothing different in a braking zone, you are on your limit and the car wanting to lap you is on his limit so there is no manouverability available if you surprise someone. So just drive the corner in your normal way, he doesn't have magical powers that make him faster on corner entry so you wont hold him up. After all he is only going to be at most 1-1.5 sec closer each sector.
To facilitate the pass a slight lift or even a short shift on corner exit into the next straight and by the end of the straight he will have the pass. Nice and clean and doesn't destroy your lap time.
Edit:
It was BTW the DEEP end of club racing last night. The standard was very high with several multiple race winners in a battle. P5 (which I didnt manage ) would have felt like a race win to me last night.

@Gijs van Elderen ah that explains something. I was looking at the gaps to you and Daiman and I was gaining on Daiman and posing ground to you despite doing reasonable lap times. You were on a mission not to get lapped!

Last edited:
It's a steep learning curve but don't keep pulling over, it's up to the person behind to get past you. I still think maybe we should have a noob race on another server If we can get enough interest and that way we are leaning race craft without worrying about the other drivers. Mind you I was n't worried about them on Monday but it is a bit intimidating racing against some of the aliens. Another thing, how come nobody was in team speak and why can't we talk during the race? It is suppose to be a fun night yes? I know race 07 have the same policy but GSCE have a lot more chatting in teamspeak so come on guys you have your fsr and stuff for the serious stuff, how about we get some banter going during races. After David left TS the other night I was left on my own talking to someone who wasn't even in the race lol. Anyway Marc I'll be in on Monday with the awesome Ferrari so get practising cos I ain't finishing behind you lol
where did you get to?
I saw you arrive and leave.

Another thing, how come nobody was in team speak and why can't we talk during the race?

Chatting on TS is allowed during all sessions. ;) It's in the club race rules.

Text chatting in-game is not allowed during quali and race. Because it's displaying some vital race-information you don't want to mis. And the in-game chat has lead more then once to confusing situations during a race. Even when people know it's not allowed and could ignore it.

TS is not a mandatory thing to use. So I can't force people to use it. :redface:

BTW: I saw you entering and leaving the server during Quali. You could have stayed in. ;) To race or to watch the race. If it wasn't allowed to enter the server during a Quali or race session. I'll set up the server that way that you couldn't. You can't do anything wrong on or with the server. :p

Fine but I think you guys are missing the bit about it's only for fun.
Well Jim its each to their own. I have had team mates who don't like to talk, and team mates who need to talk.
It's up to the driver. Personally unless its a long race 90 mins or more I don't like to talk. I especially dont like to "chat". When I talk its about key info, gaps, weather, strategy, pit stops.
When I' needing and wanting "immersion" I find it very distracting hearing drink cans opening, someone elses gearchanges etc.

Yes its for fun but doing it well is what makes it even more fun and many need to focus.
Last nights race was intense for the fastest guys. The standard was very high with several multiple race winners in a battle.

In case you didn't know, I'm not one of the fastest guys around not that it bothers me as long as I can keep the car on the black stuff, I'm more than happy.

Practice, I was all over the place. Dont know why but I was struggling to complete a lap.
When the race started, I actually felt very good and was fairly consistent (for me) and was even doing PB's.

After I crashed and pitted for repairs, my FPS went really down and things becoming stuttery. I turned on the Physics line (Ctrl-C) and the purple line for Physics/CPU was overclocking. I have noticed this before and not sure why it was happening but the car became undriveable/playable and after a lap of this (and some more damage), I stopped. Last thing I would have wanted to do was destroy someone else's race

Till next time :)

where did you get to?
I saw you arrive and leave.
Yeah I was gonna just spectate last night but couldn't remember how to.

Chatting on TS is allowed during all sessions. ;) It's in the club race rules.

Text chatting in-game is not allowed during quali and race. Because it's displaying some vital race-information you don't want to mis. And the in-game chat has lead more then once to confusing situations during a race. Even when people know it's not allowed and could ignore it.

TS is not a mandatory thing to use. So I can't force people to use it. :redface:

BTW: I saw you entering and leaving the server during Quali. You could have stayed in. ;) To race or to watch the race. If it wasn't allowed to enter the server during a Quali or race session. I'll set up the server that way that you couldn't. You can't do anything wrong on or with the server. :p
I get about text chat as even in practice it is distracting and I hope if people say "Hi" and I'm on track then I won't answer straight away. I think I'm fighting a losing battle with the team speak and your idea of fun is different to mine. I suppose that will change as I get better. A lot of work as gone into getting the boot camp going and it would be a shame not to get more people on the track because of a lack of banter but that's not a critism of you guys because as stated, you get your fun from how you race. I don't know what the answer is and it would be nice to have a happy medium between serious and banter.

I've done races elsewhere where there is no talking during Quali and the Race. However, once the race is over, everyone gets on TS and talks. Quite good fun.

Can totally understand those who don't go on TS during the race but there's no reason not to once the race is over

There was quite a few of us (5-6) in TS 2 weeks ago when we had a multiclass GT event of 90 mins at Thruxton. It was a longer race and gaps settled down
We talked but about the race-gaps-tyres-facilitating clean blue flag passes etc. There was plenty going on.
Banter, no sorry not for me in a race. I would leave Teamspeak. I cant race and chat.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 184 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 362 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 503 39.0%