• “Just being a mediocre driver has never been my ambition. That's not my style” ― Michael Schumacher
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Have a chance to win a copy of F1 2017 The Game (PC) by following RaceDepartment on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and / or YouTube.

Atlanta Motorsports Park rFactor2 vs. RL

Discussion in 'rFactor 2' started by Gary Horneck, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Gary Horneck

Gary Horneck

Ratings:
    +87
    Great job ISI on AMP. I tracked there on Saturday, and was completely prepared thanks to the fantastic job ISI did. I took a couple laps at 75% first session, then hammer down and running at 100% for the rest of the day. Made my trip to AMP one of the best track experiences ever.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,400
  3. Gui Cramer

Gui Cramer

Ratings:
    +780
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gary Horneck

Gary Horneck

Ratings:
    +87
    Not sure what the question is. I remember ISI showing pictures of the laser scanning of the track a couple years ago.

5. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,400
    The question was: Are manually surveyed tracks (like AMP) as good as laser scanned tracks for track learning.

BTW: Don't know if you had a camera that day. But feel free to share some pics and vids.

6. Gary Horneck

Gary Horneck

Ratings:
    +87
    I see now. Yes, manually surveyed tracks are great for track learning. Last month I ran Road Atlanta, I prepared with iRacing's version. Other than the shock of the actual elevation changes, I knew every inch of the track. Took a couple laps to adjust for my cars braking distances and such, but then running at 100%. To prepare for Barber, I had to resort to a old converted track in GSCE. Not 100% accurate, but still knew about every nuance of that track.

My car - 2011 BMW 335i (this is at Road Atlanta) TopOfTurn3.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Wow Wow x 1
  7. Gui Cramer

Gui Cramer

Ratings:
    +780
    It wasn't of laser scanning, it was a transition between a real photo, and the PC rendering of the terrain matching up to that image.

[/nitpick]

ps: super cool you drove Road Atlanta!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gary Horneck

Gary Horneck

Ratings:
    +87
    Well whatever the process, it works well as a track training device. If only there was a simulation of the National Corvette Museum track, I'll be running that in early June.

9. Peevee88

Peevee88
    Premium

Ratings:
    +78
    Real life has amazing likeness to the rF2 version!

• Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. xnorb

xnorb
    Premium

Ratings:
    +506
    This is something so many people say.
    Somehow sims just can't transport this correctly through the monitor.