F1 2011 Assists - Handicap system?

F1 2011 The Game (Codemasters)
I was playing in a league race last night on race pro and one of our members was talking about F12011 and getting really excited by it. I was concentrating on driving so wasnt really listening to what he was saying but i did hear something quite interesting.

I heard him mention a handicap system for players using assists. In 2010 it was very apparent that using all assist was a massive advantage so i have heard that they have implemented a system where if you run assists you have a weight penalty. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

Top marks to codemasters if this is a fact heh.

Steve Hood confirmed this a while back on the official forum. I dont remember the specifics but yeah assists add ballast to the car.

A better way would be simply to increase effect of assists on performance . . . longer braking distances with abs and lower acceleration out of the traction zones with TC but the end result would be similar I suppose.

Steve Hood confirmed this a while back on the official forum. I dont remember the specifics but yeah assists add ballast to the car.

A better way would be simply to increase effect of assists on performance . . . longer braking distances with abs and lower acceleration out of the traction zones with TC but the end result would be similar I suppose.

Adding Ballast on a car does all of the things you mentioned above, so adding ballast would actually be easier than changing a bunch of values

Adding Ballast on a car does all of the things you mentioned above, so adding ballast would actually be easier than changing a bunch of values

as mentioned.

Nothing works better than peer pressure, put ta little frowny face, or the words "no skill" next to their name. Better yet, any assists on and the car has an automatic pink livery with barbie and my little pony stickers plastered all over it.

Now as a recent member of the "fullsim" or "Expert Mode" club I think you are being overly harsh.
I think
  • a big L plate.next to the gamers ID that floats over the car
  • 50% pay cut in career mode ( I mean if the electronics are doing half the job it seems fair prima facie).
  • Automatic #2 Status within the team in career mode and Co Op on line mode
would be quite sufficient.

BTW this is all said tingue in cheek, I used auto for a long time!

The dont need to implement a handicap system. Just seperate leaderboards will do for the majority of the hotlappers.

For online racing you can filter yourself if you like assists or not.

Nah dont agree. Have yo ever tried looking for races online with banned assists? They dont exist!! I luckily now play with guys in a forum that doesnt use assists so now its not such a problem but before hand i had to play online against people with all assists on driving erratically but somehow managing to beat me in pace!! Thats not right.

I don't see a reason to put these handicaps on players and even if they did a host should be able to give an option to turn them on or off. I realise everybody is different but personally I'm actually slightly faster without assists than I am with them on which just makes me feel as if people are just trying to gain an advantage.. I actually find it fun battling people with assists on that are able to put the same lap times in. What a lot of people forget particuarly people on these forums is that the vast majority of people who play this game need assists and can't race without them, why should they be handicapped because a few of the "better" players demand there should be penalties for assist drivers?

Wynterdust
With respect I don't agree at all. In all my experience assists (TCS/ABS) are faster with less skill.
This in my view makes them a form of soft cheat.
I really support the view that the game starts to add ballast as you become more experienced (Rep Level) to encourage you to drop assists.
The game is also more satisfying w/out assists.
If that vast majority still need assists thay will all be playing on a level playing field. They can still race with assists if they need them but the game will (apprently) reward dropping them. This in my view is a great encouragement to ppl to evolve and progress.
I dont want to sound eliteist at all. My 1st career season had everything on. 2nd I dropped TCS/ABS, third dropped racing line, 6th went expert mode. Each season has been more rewarding that the one before.
When I joined here in April you could not get a low assists race at all. Now you can.
To each their own.
Those who want assists can still use them but it is healthy in my perspective to reward skill and progression not penalise it.

I found driving without assists on the PS3 pad was very difficult - the fact that my hands hurt after playing meant that I stuck to auto gears, TC and ABS.

Once I moved to a wheel, driving without assists was much easier and also I found myself much quicker (particularly with the manual gears) and I've even gone faster after removing TC as I can stick to the line much better (didn't expect that).

To give an idea of impact, previously I was about c.6,000th on the PS3 hot lap leader board and now I'm c.400 on the majority of tracks.

I think it's each to their own and you pay your money, you take your choice. However, I would prefer that when I start racing online that I'm racing a similar peer group (I've not raced online as yet).

I found being without TC and ABS easy on the pad, but had huge difficulty with getting to grips with manual gears before I got my wheel. Within a day or two I thought I'd got to grips with all assists off pretty well and actually beat all my mates (some of which were using assists) around Silverstone and Hockenhiem!

I don't think people should be penalized in Solo Championship and Co-Op Championship modes for using assists but some people just don't have the time to become a true sim racer, but I don't mind if Hotlap boards were separated and Custom Online lobbies to have people who use assists to be somehow penalized!

So basically I am going to be penalised for being poor and not being able to afford a wheel? I have all aids off except Traction Control as I find it impossible to use the PS3 remote without it. It's not even that I don't have the skill (I can drive rFactor perfectly fine without TC).

I agree with u m8 in some ways the players shouldn't b penalized for usin assists but as in Forza 3 if u can learn n master usin no assists it should make ya lap times a lot quicker as I personaly find usin assists in f1 borin, as throttle either on or off, yes it evens people out but also leads to more over aggressive overtake/crashes as that's the only way to get by someone instead of gud throttle control/braking etc I just hope f1 2011 has separate game modes for them who want to use Assists n them who don't.

I think its a bit harsh for People to penalized for using the assists, why put them on their if your going to penalize someone for actually using them? All it's going to do is get people complaining they won't get a fair race against people with Wheels

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 339 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 229 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 173 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 293 13.4%