Assist or not to assist

As an RFactor Newbie, I have been driving with no assists (except Auto clutch), and played a few online games last night and noticed people were able to use traction control, anti lock brakes and others.

As a guide for the future, should I carry on with no assists or do most servers allow assists and in fact do most people use them, which presumably will make me more liable to crash if driving unassisted.

Do the Racedeparmtent servers allow driving aids?

Thanks in advance

I would use what you feel most comfortable with and then take one away at a time and get used to that until you eventually get rid of them all. The RaceDepartment servers run with Auto-Clutch allowed and Auto-Shifting is allowed in the Racing Club events.

Personally I would advise leaving everything off. I'm all for people playing the game their way but its alot more fun when you got everything off and your controlling the car. Plus as Adam says RD's servers have everything set off.

Yes, but if he's not so good at driving, then he's probably already slower than the other drivers, and better off being restrained by driver aids than spinning off the track.

I'd suggest you turn them off as you go. I feel driving becomes more satisfying when you're more in control and don't have the on board driver assists holding your hand. Turn the assists off one at a time as you learn to drive. As your lines start getting smoother, turn off stability control. But the only way to get good at driving without ABS/TCS is by switching them off and tolerating the lock-ups/spin outs 'til you get the hang of it. :p

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%