Assetto Drive car mods, legit ?

When it comes to the type of car mods disallowed here on RD - mainly Forza ripped cars, there are absolutely more junk cars than there are hidden gems. But! That means there are some hidden gems. It's really a hit or miss thing. I am willing to bet there are some Facebook Mods (the generic name used for these ripped cars because that's where you find them) that I think are pretty decent and Michael Hornbuckle are awful and vice-versa.

Since it usually doesn't take much time to discover if the car is A) realistic at all and B) a decent enough representation for the make & model car they're trying to simulate - if I find a good car I give it 2-4 stars in CM. If the 3d model is good, but the physics are just not enjoyable and it's beyond my skill to fix, I assign 1 star in CM and I only put AI drivers in those cars. At least I can always have a fresh trackday or race with different cars.

Oh, almost forgot -- this doesn't happen very often, but there are some FB modders who produce their own custom sounds for cars. Believe it or not, I've come across a few cars that had a good set of sounds but drove like crap. So, I kept the car for the AI to drive, plus I used the sounds from that car on other AC projects, like fixing old mods.

Also keep in mind that AD is not one person doing everything. Different cars might have physics done by different people. That includes that some cars might have original physics done by a tinkerer, which makes those physics much more of an original piece of work.

So this is just a moral thing? Or can you get banned?
Well, if you modified a Kunos car, once discovered by RD staff it's going to be deleted immediately. I don't know what the punishment for that is, but I'm sure it's not much more than a warning because some newbie might not have known that was a no-no. Second chances, right? Now, if you repeatedly uploaded cars or tracks that you don't have permission to do so, I'm sure RD staff is going to get sick and tired very quickly when it's the same person.

So, yeah...I'd say you can get banned for uploading content that you didn't create from scratch or obtain permission from the author of that car or track you're modding. Plus, if you looked closely at the AUP when creating an account here you should also know that multiple infractions means the RD members closest to your home get to throw eggs at you for 30 minutes.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 296 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 205 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 262 13.6%