Assetto Drive car mods, legit ?

Rule of thumb (for me) is if you don't recognise the modder and the models appear out of nowhere without any WIP shots, then its a rip.

Seems like they are probably Forza rips, but looks like a bunch of Kunos rips too (918 with the roof removed for example... I'd be hugely surprised if they'd modelled it themselves.)

No but any modder who actually created from scratch will be keen to show it. That website with so many cars would need either many many years to make from scratch or have dozens of people making them - and if they were made from scratch I'd expect a page dedicated to showing the progress of upcoming models, WIP etc.

Safe to assume that this website is ripping cars and ripping people off to purchase them.

I hope they prove me wrong.

Assettodrive's Porsche Type 901 had me interested briefly because I like really old 911s and I love the Full Throttle 2.7 RS (which, while it is derived from a Forza model, is honest about being a rip, has good physics, and is not a pay mod), but just looking at the interior and especially the gauges in YouTube videos, I can tell Assettodrive has next to no artistic talent and can't even make the ripped model look that good--the lighting and reflections on the gauges look completely off.

In addition, anyone who forces you to write a statement denouncing people who leak pay mods before getting access to content you paid for can go take a hike IMO, especially if the vendor himself uses other people's intellectual property. I don't have anything against model rips per se if real effort is put into the physics and you're not making money, but if you're going to rip, and then charge money, and then force other people to disclose personal information and swear to prevent leaks of your work when it's itself a derivative of other people's work, that's such an immense level of hypocrisy my mind can barely wrap itself around it.

I hope that Russian facebook group leaks everything he "makes". There are a few reputable pay mod authors (URD, the guy who made Hope Racetrack and the Croatian hill climb whose name I can't spell) but Assettodrive is not one of them!

The 901 was the first car from AD I came across. I had no idea where it originated from, it was posted on a FB paged dedicated to AC mods.

The 2.7 RS is nicely done for sure. Shame we dont have an official version from Kunos. Thanx for the info ! What you say makes sense !

I bought the Corvette C6 Grandsport from there. Model and physics are okay out of the box, but I tweaked on the shaders and got it looking more in line with vanilla content. I then made a 650hp Hennessey version LOL

The whole questionnaire thing to buy the mods is stupid, but whatever.

The 901 was the first car from AD I came across. I had no idea where it originated from, it was posted on a FB paged dedicated to AC mods.

The 2.7 RS is nicely done for sure. Shame we dont have an official version from Kunos. Thanx for the info ! What you say makes sense !
The 2.7 RS was one of the very first mods I installed. I went looking for Porsche because "they'll never be in a PC sim like AC!" :sneaky: Anyway, it's had some work done to it since the first download 2 years ago and I'm sure it needs more, but it's still one of my favorite mods.

EDIT: I forgot to ask my question... How much do they charge for mods? Does it vary by car? That questionnaire is weird.

1 Car - 6.00 USD; 2 Cars - 8.00 USD; 3 Cars Pack - 10.00 USD

I already had a half dozen or so of his cars that got shared on FB; got tired of waiting for the Vette so I went ahead and paid for it.
That's actually not too bad if you go with the 3 pack option. I have no idea who runs that place. There's probably a good chance I've had one or two of his cars on my system because I download a crapload of mods.

Is a complete rip-off. One of the cars on the list (I deliberately don't want to name which one) can be recognized that is from Forza. There is a mistake on that car even in the Forza model which probably the modder didn't pick up and you can see in their mod as well. I understand if someone spends his personal time to rip-off a model and then to share it with the community, but charging a hefty amount for something stolen, requires a lot of nerve.

Assettodrive's Porsche Type 901 had me interested briefly because I like really old 911s and I love the Full Throttle 2.7 RS (which, while it is derived from a Forza model, is honest about being a rip, has good physics, and is not a pay mod), but just looking at the interior and especially the gauges in YouTube videos, I can tell Assettodrive has next to no artistic talent and can't even make the ripped model look that good--the lighting and reflections on the gauges look completely off.

In addition, anyone who forces you to write a statement denouncing people who leak pay mods before getting access to content you paid for can go take a hike IMO, especially if the vendor himself uses other people's intellectual property. I don't have anything against model rips per se if real effort is put into the physics and you're not making money, but if you're going to rip, and then charge money, and then force other people to disclose personal information and swear to prevent leaks of your work when it's itself a derivative of other people's work, that's such an immense level of hypocrisy my mind can barely wrap itself around it.

I hope that Russian facebook group leaks everything he "makes". There are a few reputable pay mod authors (URD, the guy who made Hope Racetrack and the Croatian hill climb whose name I can't spell) but Assettodrive is not one of them!

Is there a place where I can find his "creations" for free?

Is there a place where I can find his "creations" for free?
There is a whole world of stuff to be discovered in many different AC FB groups. You can spend a few minutes of your time trying out whatever catches your eye and then deciding if you wasted your time or not, or just avoid it all by taking this advice:
Why bother? They're a complete waste of time.

(that advice is correct more often than not, btw, but far from a universal rule)

Why bother? They're a complete waste of time.

Maybe they are. We will never find out unless we drive the cars in real life - which more likely... we won't. But, there is a nice collection of cars that I didn't manage to find anywhere else and also, a couple of them that I've found just by coincidence they looked good and felt realistic. That's why I presume the rest of them will be the same.

Maybe they are. We will never find out unless we drive the cars in real life - which more likely... we won't. But, there is a nice collection of cars that I didn't manage to find anywhere else and also, a couple of them that I've found just by coincidence they looked good and felt realistic. That's why I presume the rest of them will be the same.

My point about them being a waste of time is because the physics are just ripped from other cars. So as an example, you end up driving the physics of a BMW that uses a Porsche model. So while the physics might "feel" realistic, its not realistic to the actual car you're driving.

Don't always trust what the 'analyze' function in CM tells you. ;)

If you want to know that the virtual car you are driving is as close to the exact thing as real life either stick with nothing but vanilla content and/or mods from teams with physics gurus that you trust.

Anything else, drive it, and then decide if it feels realistic for either a stock or tuned or race version of that car. If it sets lap times that are stupidly fast/slow or has no/too much ffb or whatever else that turns you off, delete the mod (or 'fix' it) and move on.
If it actually does drive decent enough to be believable keep in and run it or let the ai look good in it. That's pretty much my philosophy.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 117 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 93 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 87 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 62 6.8%
  • < 5 years