Assetto Corsa v0.6

0.6 notes from Kunos..
So, it's that day of the month again and a new update is ready.

Let's have a look at todays "particular" update.
As you might have guessed, we won't release any new cars or tracks today. We understand that this might be a bit of a let down for some of you, but then again we have already released 35 cars and their upgrades and 12 tracks... considering AC's physics engine depth, I'm sure there's more to explore than simply jumping from one car to the other.
So what's in this new update? Lot's of core work to make AC better, some of it very evident, some of it under the surface but very important.

First of all we are enabling AI Quick Races for all cars, all tracks. You can select whatever car you like, whatever track you like and whatever number of opponents (up to the track limits). Most importantly you can select different opponents to race against. Multi-class, multi-era, multi-performances, multi-whatever.. err...no scratch that, multiplayer is not ready yet (we're working on it, you know we do!).

So this is very important, we worked very hard to enable all cars and all tracks to enable the AI. Tons of data to process, but we didn't just stopped there. We have laid out the ground to build a better AI that understands better the intentions of the player. On some cars you might see a better behaviour, on some others more or less the same, but the work is there and slowly we will update all of them. Your feedback is valuable and that's what early access is all about, so thank you in advance!

What's next? Collisions. You can lean on your opponents now, bump door against door, push and get pushed and the experience should be far better. Most importantly no more landmines and you can go over high kerbs with far more realistic behaviour. That also permits us to make the terrain collisions more accurate and this means more setup work for you, as you might need to make the setup stiffer, user bumpstops, or raise the car height to make sure the car is not bottoming out. If you hear strange scraping noises and experience unexpected spins on fast turns, it might mean that your old setup was way too low... AC is getting more mature and this means that it requests from you the drivers, more skills and more setup work. We are sure you're going to have fun limiting bottoming, without affecting car balance

Sound engine. We have worked on the sound engine to improve the sound of the opponents cars in AI races as well as taking advantage of 5.1 systems. It's been quite an extensive work, way too long to describe, but let us know what you think and if you find any bugs.

As usual lot's of little fixes, bug hunting and optimisations as usual, but also new much requested features like steering wheel hiding, look behind, smoke rendering on mirrors with on/off option, penalties system selectable from UI and more. We are listening the community and working out all the small little details, one by one.

Last but not least, a very important and very complicated theme module management for the UI. What does that means? Modders can now write their plugins and connect them inside the User Interface (like the amazing "Rivali" suite). Theme modules are then saved inside the username/documents/assetto corsa folder. This is very important, as we can update the user interface everytime we think necessary and users will not lose their installed mods and UI modifications (if made following our guidelines). Also, users can now select which UI mods can enable from Options/General menu. There is also an example with documentation for modders. This is far more important than it might seem, and opens the door to modders to create amazing applications that work seamlessly inside Assetto Corsa User Interface.

Hope you have fun with this new update, looking forward to hear your feedback.

The Assetto Corsa development team

Last edited:
I honestly haven't experienced this.
Could it be your setup? Since the car tends to run naturally low, perhaps increasing the ride height and suspension stiffness would solve the problem.

However, in the v0.6 patch notes, the collision boxes were refined or something, so now some cars (the Tatuus FA01 in particular) will bottom-out more easily on bumps, and when that happens you'll lose stability in the car. Personally, I think it's a very realistic feature.
The thing i was talking about has been nick named "landmines" on ACs official forum :roflmao:

2gwuucx.gif

It's more proeminent on the Tatuus, but it happens on the GT(happened to me again in a Z4 GT3) cars as well.

And sure enough...

I hit one at Silverstone GP as well, slow corner at the end of the lap.

You know when a director puts something in a movie which pays homage to a different movie?

Well these landmines are Kuno's 'homage' to Codies F1 2011 invisible walls.
Only difference is this game is on 0.6, not gold release :)

I am not saying this isn't a bug but could it be that the ride height of the car might be too low wherefore the bodywork of the car gets stuck on the curbs?:D
On Imola Acqua Minerale corner it isn't the curb, it's the depression on the track that causes it.

While it's probably fair to say that my setup is riding a bit low, this still is a big overreaction to something as banal as the chassis scrapping the floor.

My personal bugbear is the reintroduction of time penalties in races, the way its implemented is annoying, immersion breaking and in most cases race breaking. Now I know you can turn it off in most races, but not in the preset ones. It's like being punished twice, once for overcooking it and running wide, and then by having your power cut causing a) you being unable to recover from a spin, or b) getting hit from behind from the AI or c) if you're lucky just losing more time then you would have running wide in the first place. I honestly don't care if someone abuses the penalty-less system to get an achievement they don't deserve(more fool them) and if others are concerned that people are abusing it to set faster laptimes than are humanly possible then the system just needs to discount lap times set when all four wheels go outside the white lines.
This way honest players aren't affected(because you're not likely to set your fastest lap when you've accidentaly gone wide), and dishonest players don't get to cheat/troll everyone else by posting stupid lap times.
Honestly if the penalty is introduced for multiplayer or career mode I'll be dissapointed by a very ugly wart on an otherwise beautiful sim.
That and landmines(but we all know you're working on it :thumbsup:)

Isnt it possible to turn all penalties off?
I have seen a checkbox when I tested the latest build. But dont know if this checkbox isnt available for Quick Races?!?
Only in hotlap mode it is not possible, for some good reasons.

Isnt it possible to turn all penalties off?
I have seen a checkbox when I tested the latest build. But dont know if this checkbox isnt available for Quick Races?!?
Only in hotlap mode it is not possible, for some good reasons.
The check box appears in quick races, but frustratingly it doesn't work for them. You can only use it for races you create yourself.

I agree the penalty system isn't well implemented at the moment. Having your power cut for running off the track and also when your still trying to get back to the track and not having the counter start until all four wheels are back on the track isn't fun at all. I can somewhat understand having it as a place holder for a future flag system but I just plane hate it. Also being forced off by the AI gets you the penalty too! Frustrating.

WTF they did with BMW 1M...??? It's to sticky for such lightweight and powerful car. I don't feel that "fun to drive" factor all journalists talk about in 1M car reviews... I'am so disappointed. :( And those HUGE wheels, in standard version are so ugly looking in replays. It's like this:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%