Assetto Corsa v0.5 released

Update: v0.5 is now released. Find the patch notes here: http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/assetto-corsa-v0-5-released.80625/page-7#post-1618812

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15 cars left to get (well 16 with the LaFerrari, but this car will only be available with the 1.0 version of the game) so which ones are we getting friday ?! In theory we'll get 3 cars, but since we had a massive break we might get 4 like we did on Xmas. My guess is, we will get factory cars (bunch of Lotus's...) and none of the GT3's/1 GT2 or F1's.

The car I want the most is the T125 !!! release it already :p

Well guys and gals, lets share the car you wish on getting this friday and also what you believe will be release (it might not be the one you really expect yet).

Last edited:
yeah handy to know what those numbers are in relation to what the difficulties are. my first mess with race mode. i set the AI strength on 75% which turns out is way lower than easy :) i think easy starts on 88% medium is 94, hard is 98 and alien is 100..
In other types of events like with hotlaps or speed challenges those "conditions" control the pass level, like " beat this time to get a bronze, beat this time to get a silver.. and in drift events its set to points.
Basically each event will use those and the "session" info to control how the level and event end is handled.

If you open the ini file for one of each type of event and compare the differences you can see how each event is made up..

Yeah a few of us have looked into making our own special events.

Not only can you make longer (or shorter) races, you can set what kind of event it is (hotlap, drag, drift, race) You can set what track it is. You can set what car you will be using. How many AI drivers there are, what car, carskin, name and nationality they have (they do not have to be the same as your car, or even each other)
You can also set things like the ambient and road temperature
you can also set how difficult the 4 difficulties are (easy,medium,hard,alien)
You can set how the event works.. IE are you against the timer (like hotlap), is it points based (like drift), or do you have to come first (like race)
There is even a section that I THINK controls how many sets of tyres you are allowed per race

The only thing i cant figure out is how to do a "race weekend" which is a practice session, qualify then the actual race. Im 99% sure on how it works, im sure its to do with the "session_0" section. Im pretty sure you will need a "session_1" and "session_2" but the issue is the "TYPE" i know type 3 is quickrace, type 4 is hotlap, type 6 is drift and type 7 is drag, but i dont know what type a practise or qualify is.. i wonder if i contacted Kunos and asked, they would tell me ?? Or has anyone else here figured that one out? probably be worth me making a post on here asking...

Is it this :

typedef int AC_SESSION_TYPE;

#define AC_UNKNOWN -1
#define AC_PRACTICE 0
#define AC_QUALIFY 1
#define AC_RACE 2
#define AC_HOTLAP 3
#define AC_TIME_ATTACK 4
#define AC_DRIFT 5
#define AC_DRAG 6

from here:
http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/shared-memory-reference.3352/

No, not quite.. ive actually already figured it out. While its possible to force the game into doing a race weekend. the game isnt setup properly to do it.
This is the section it was regarding...
[SESSION_0]
NAME=Quick Race
TYPE=3
LAPS=10
DURATION_MINUTES=0
SPAWN_SET=START

And it seems your type definitions are out by a couple of numbers.or those definitions are not the same ones used to define the game mode in special events
Typ1 1 is practise
Type 2 is qualify
type 3 is race
type 4 is hotlap
type 5 is time attack
type 6 is drift
type 7 is drag

You can see this to be different from your numbers just from opening a couple of existing special events. Number 1 and 3 are good examples.1 is a hotlap and its type=4. Number 3 is a timeattack and its type=5, which doesnt match what you linked to.

As i said i know how it works now ( i did make another thread talking about it in more detail) I managed to make a special event that was a full race weekend. It started with a 10 minute practise session, then a 15 minute qualify then it went to a race.

But there are some issues. AI cars will not take part in the practise or qualifying session, they just sit there. Regardless how many laps you set for the race it always reverts to 2 laps. But it only does it if you make a race weekend, if you just do a single quick race you can set how many laps you want. but in a race weekend, just 2 laps.. But thats just because they havent finished putting it all in yet. When you activate the race menu in game. quick race is lit up white, but race weekend is greyed out, even though you can still click on it and select it. so id say its just not fully finished yet.

My short impression of the new tyre.

The Formula Abarth at silverstone copse, in 0.4v with my setup(front/rear wing=8/6) I just had to hit brake slightly, whereas no needed to brake in this version, I can now pass through only with lifting the throttle with the same setup. The rear feels to become lighter particularly at mid-high speed turn, but the more rise rear wing the more get downforce probably. And full throttle no longer allowed at the same place for me, for example at Luffield curve etc.

And not sure when it comes to road car, anyway I felt just a very little bit more predictable at mid speed while doing the supercar silverstone race, the reason I can remember that feeling is that the 458 had always been out of my taste.

Have just renewed my iRacing Sub (have not played it over 1 year now) because of my holiday. Wanted to do some MP racing. BUT, holy moly, has iR been ever that icy? Have I adapted to AC too much? Doesnt get the feeling for iR anymore. The best of it is the sound. The RUF sounds really nice....^^

Have just renewed my iRacing Sub (have not played it over 1 year now) because of my holiday. Wanted to do some MP racing. BUT, holy moly, has iR been ever that icy? Have I adapted to AC too much? Doesnt get the feeling for iR anymore. The best of it is the sound. The RUF sounds really nice....^^

This is an interesting comment, I came to the same conclusion, not about IRacing, tried it a while back, never liked it, but about the other SIM I used to drive.
After a while I guess I am expecting the kind of connection to the car and track I am feeling in AC and it is just not there.
AC is just taking it further, eventually everyone will get it. The Early Acces is the best thing since it allows to enjoy it today and the future is looking great.

Last edited:
As I understand it, the graphical representation of the car is not necessarily the same as the physical representation.

So when you drive over a kerb, you might get launched in the air, because the collision box (i.e. the physical representation of your car) might be to general. Basically, the physical representation of the car is a more or less rectangular (invisble) box around the car, which detects collisions with other cars, or track objects.

There were some issues with Fabarths launching into the air when hitting a kerb. I guess Kunos optimised the collision box'es, so that you can hit a kerb, don't get launched into the air, but you will lose grip, as your tires temporarily don't touch the asfalt. I.e.; AC just got a bit more realistic :).

As I understand it, the graphical representation of the car is not necessarily the same as the physical representation.

So when you drive over a kerb, you might get launched in the air, because the collision box (i.e. the physical representation of your car) might be to general. Basically, the physical representation of the car is a more or less rectangular (invisble) box around the car, which detects collisions with other cars, or track objects.

There were some issues with Fabarths launching into the air when hitting a kerb. I guess Kunos optimised the collision box'es, so that you can hit a kerb, don't get launched into the air, but you will lose grip, as your tires temporarily don't touch the asfalt. I.e.; AC just got a bit more realistic :).

It was actually the collision boxes on the tracks from reading Aris's old posts, the cars were just too low in the setup to get over the HIGH collision boxes on the kerbs and sand etc.

Collision box is the physical box the game uses to tell when the car is running into something; it's a box to simplify the physics calculations. And since it's a rigid box, if it hits something solid (eg. part of the track) the car has to stop completely. Otherwise when you ran into actual walls on the track you'd sometimes penetrate those too.

Most games have the box start at the middle/upper of the bumpers, to give players a little extra room. Cause when you run into a vertical kerb, instead of just damaging the bumpers and bouncing the car upward, you tend to stop completely as if it hit a wall.

If they found a fix for that, then they can make the bottom of the car lower... which means that you can more easily bottom out and scrape on the track if your suspension's not strong enough.

@KunosStefano solved collision bugs with kerbs! Which means lower collision boxes. Which means you need to learn to control bottoming out!
Can someone explain this? TIA.

To answer the question.... Its to do with 3d models.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you make a model for the game, you also have to make a collision object which is a very basic invisible approximation of the main object. So when the game comes to calculating its physics for when a car touches something, it doesnt have to calculate using the hires model, it uses the basic shape, which is easier on the physics engine.

A good example is a stack of tires. You model one tire, which is basically a cylinder shape, and to make sure it looks nice and round its made up of 128 sides around the circumference, and for a stack of say.. 5 tires thats 5x128=640. but that stack of tires is nothing more really than a longish cylinder, so when it comes to making the collision object, thats all you make, a long cylinder, give it 12 sides around the circumference. When the physics engine comes to calculate the stack of tires, instead of doing the calculation on 640 polygons (triangles/squares that make up a model) it only does the calculation on 12 polygons.. much easier on the system..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now obviously from what Stefano has said, i would gather it means.. There was an issue with the collision objects for kerbs, it has been fixed now, but as kerbs are technically a different size/shape now ( well the collision objects are and thats what the car touches) the cars will behave slightly different.. From the above text id assume its now easier to bottom out (when the underside of the car slams into the ground) so people will have to learn to drive slightly differently, when it comes to kerbs as it doesnt behave like they did before..

Hope that explains it for you..

I hope they fix AI soon: cause Ai has a unrealistic behaviour in 100% strenght mode.
Ai becomes faster whenever they want to overtake you! its like they are joking around with you on track.
for example, Ai is able to brake later then you. even if you have max downforce! and can get higher top speed even if you have zero downforce.
again hope they fix it soon cause i'm hapy with the overall sim experience

Last edited:
Did I not hear that the formula abarth had been lowered and as such had increased downforce, or was that just relating to the AI cars?
Not AI, and I don't know or it could be related to downforce efficiency? but the fact that no brake is needed with my old setup is true.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/formula-abarth-silverstone-gp.80720/
↑ this is my driving and setup, check at 1:08sec.

has iR been ever that icy? Have I adapted to AC too much?

Icy has been its trademark since 1998. :rolleyes:

Sorry for my late initial impression but I got to sit down a little with it this morning before work . Fired it up with a custom special event using 21 AI in the ktm x-bow at Imola and although the performance was a mess on my system the racing was a blast. I have to edit the event to add more AI difficulty since it didn't seem that the AI was putting up much of a fight. Also the early heavy breaking and mid corner breaking is frustrating but all in all for their first released attempt at AI I'm extremely impressed!

I hope they fix AI soon: cause Ai has a unrealistic behaviour in 100% strenght mode.
Ai becomes faster whenever they want to overtake you! its like they are joking around with you on track.
for example, Ai is able to brake later then you. even if you have max downforce! and can get higher top speed even if you have zero downforce.
again hope they fix it soon cause i'm hapy with the overall sim experience

They're faster on the straight because of a combination of better corner exit (because more downforce = faster corner speeds) and you giving them slipstream, I very much doubt they get an artificial "boost". I do struggle on the brakes especially on the Formula Abarth though, I can't seem to brake as late as they do without locking up but I'd say that has more to do with the AI just being better at modulating the brake pressure.

Talking AI, I do think the road car AI handles pretty nicely, it's reasonably quick and can cope with you being on it's side, it's not perfect but if it's sudden movements is smoothed a bit it could work well enough, the Formula Abarth one is quite horrible though, I get crashed left right and centre in the Monza event, either by one slowing down out of nowhere or swerving all around the track, but who cares about AI in 2014 multi player is where it's at.

They're faster on the straight because of a combination of better corner exit (because more downforce = faster corner speeds) and you giving them slipstream, I very much doubt they get an artificial "boost". I do struggle on the brakes especially on the Formula Abarth though, I can't seem to brake as late as they do without locking up but I'd say that has more to do with the AI just being better at modulating the brake pressure.

Talking AI, I do think the road car AI handles pretty nicely, it's reasonably quick and can cope with you being on it's side, it's not perfect but if it's sudden movements is smoothed a bit it could work well enough, the Formula Abarth one is quite horrible though, I get crashed left right and centre in the Monza event, either by one slowing down out of nowhere or swerving all around the track, but who cares about AI in 2014 multi player is where it's at.

I've been watching AI on the replays and i've seen them boosting up like they had nitro. They can be side by side with you at the same speed and suddenly they just seem to gain extra horse power!!! They allways have a higher top speed when you are ahead of them...I simply cannot beat 100% strenght AI top speed

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back