Assetto Corsa Update 1.17 Released for PlayStation 4

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa PS4 Bonus Pack 3.jpg

Assetto Corsa has been updated and the Bonus Pack 3 released on PlayStation 4!

Despite some issues that cause the game to crash with certain cars, currently under investigation by the developers, Assetto Corsa was updated yesterday for PlayStation 4 and now includes the brand new Bonus Pack 3 DLC - seven new cars from the likes of Maserati, Pagani, Alfa Romeo and Lamborghini.

Although now available on both PC and PlayStation 4, Microsoft Xbox console owners will have to wait just a little while longer as the new update continues to work through the Microsoft verification process. No release date has been ventured by the developers as yet, however it is expected the update will be made available in the very near future.

So what's in the new and free bonus pack? Well players will be getting a laser scanned Laguna Seca and the following cars:
  • Alfa Romeo Giulia QV
  • Alfa Romeo 33 Stradale
  • Lamborghini Sesto Elemento
  • Lamborghini Huracan Performante
  • Maserati Quattroporte
  • Pagani Huayra BC
  • Maserati Alfieri Concept Car
Oh and did I mention, it's all free!

If you want to have a taste of the excitement to come, check out the below 'Talk and Drive' interview we ran recently with Kunos physics developer Aristotelis Vasilakos below;

Assetto Corsa is available for PC, Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Check out the Assetto Corsa Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding the sim. We host quality League and Club Racing events, have a selection of fantastic mods to download and some of the best community conversation. Join in the discussion today.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

PS4 players! Have you tried the new update yet? Do you like the new cars? Pleased with Assetto Corsa on console? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
if you dont know why then sorry i can't help you:p
Surely reaching out to consoles has increased revenue, brand reputation and partnerships and made one of the best sims available to a wider audience? Doesn't this help fund R&D for AC2 and give them a more sustainable business?

Not everyone can afford a mid - high end PC, especially with the cost of GPU's, and some people just like the ease of plug and play.

So no, I don't know why, and a shame that you can't educate me on this... :unsure::cool:

With the current hardware prices, GPU's and DDR4 memory went up with an enormous amount last year. Not many gamers are tempted to buy a complete PC system.
So it's good some proper sim dev's make titles available for the consoles.
If gamers get serious about their racing they can still switch to PC.

Surely reaching out to consoles has increased revenue, brand reputation and partnerships and made one of the best sims available to a wider audience? Doesn't this help fund R&D for AC2 and give them a more sustainable business?

Not everyone can afford a mid - high end PC, especially with the cost of GPU's, and some people just like the ease of plug and play.

So no, I don't know why, and a shame that you can't educate me on this... :unsure::cool:

Everything you say is how it should have been on console, I agree what you describe would have been the ideal outcome for everyone. Sadly what the console audience got was nothing like the Assetto we know and love on PC. Let me be clear before I get shot down by the AC super fans I think the PC version is superb, it was early access done right and grew into something truly special, the handling, FFB, cockpit detail and excellent VR. I accept it is the pinnacle of the Kunos's work and it pains me to have had to point out many times the console version just isn't up to much. So with that in mind here is as objective an assessment of the console version as I can manage after many moths of disappointment.

Let's start with the one shining bright point:

- The same superb car handling and wheel FFB (and for that matter game pad control) was carried across from the PC version. The cars feel superb no questioning that, when the game works on console it is unsurpassed in that regard.

The current issue:

- The PS4 version is pretty much broken, crashing the console in many scenarios from practice sessions to races, especially when using the new free Laguna Seca content and cars. Even the most loyal and long believing PS4 AC fans are up in arms.

-Xbox players are still waiting for the update....soon...

Here are a few of the issues from early days to now:

- Single digit framerate. Xbox version launch with single digit framerate, the whole game stuttered along. The console tech was blamed but other games seem to work just fine.

- The 'retail launch' version released at £40 was actually more like PC early access code from 2015 missing many of the cars, tracks and other features already added to the PC version.

- Frustratingly many of the bugs that had already been fixed on the PC version were reintroduced to the console version and took months to fix.

- Mysteriously the console version of career and special events asked for faster lap times than the PC version. The AI in career were totally unbalanced. Career progress would mysteriously delete itself from time to time.

- There were no track limits or penalties working and this took months to fix, none of the console leagues could or would use a game in this condition.

- Car setups could not be saved for many months and some still say they disappear.

- There was no 'private online multiplayer' leaving players at the mercy of the console online lobby chaos.

- When private multiplayer was introduced it was clunky and time consuming with players having to reset the entire room to change cars and tracks, this often leads to multiplayer connection issues too.

- There is no in game recording of any lap times (this has been in the PC version for a long time now), or any form of leaderboard - we forget how many of the missing features of AC we make up for with the excellent mods available. Ok AC on PC does not have internal leaderboards but it does have RSR Live Timing available. Console players are used to leaderboards, rivals style events and AC includes none of this, pen and paper or screenshots to record times are it. In this respect Kunos failed to understand the console market entirely.

- The update system on console has been slower than any other game I've encountered. Kunos blame MS and Sony but the reality is other games manage parity far faster and without the update troubles. At each update on Xbox to date paid DLC has failed to unlock. In one case Kunos took so long to update the DLC unlocking process on Xbox (about 3 weeks I think) the DLC had been reduced in a sale to less than 1/2 price before full price paying customers ever got to use the content. Shocking behaviour towards loyal and often pre-order customers.

- On the PS4 version a bug that caused wheel DOR on the Logitech G920 (by far the most popular PS4 wheel) to incorrectly detect the DOR remains (this was introduced several patches back), the only solution is to restart the game.

- There have been consistent claims of PC version parity, the latest in Marco's interview with RPS https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/09/the-flare-path-rubber-blubber/ yet too many aspects to list remain unaddressed from as basic as broken car setups to custom key mapping.

I think Kunos have done more damage than good to their reputation with the console version, initially a broken game was launched, there have and continue to be multiple broken promises, glacial update cycles. No doubt they have made money, their accounts show a ratio of about 3:1 profit from console vs pc, but that is perceived as having been spent on the continued development of the PC version. As this is the end of the console game development cycle I can understand why people are still fed up with broken promises.

Personally and from many interactions with 'The Lord' himself, I believe the problem is that he and most likely the rest of the key talent at Kunos was never truly bought into producing a console version of the game. The console team is tiny and working at the very edge of their competence judging by results. Economics of the console player base and a lucrative sale to Digital Bros meant the console version was a necessary evil. When the boss doesn't care and is downright arrogant about consoles and console players why would anyone else in the company care? Bottom line, the console version of AC was a cash cow to continue development of the PC version.

Assetto Corsa remains the worst console release I've experienced in terms of missing features, game performance, glacial updates and broken promises. Such a contrast from the great game that it remains on PC.

The first post had it right, the game should have remained on PC only and I hope any follow up game does exactly that.

I think that about sums it up.

Let me just echo what @MarkR said. Because of the lack of high end graphic cards on the market now and the ease of not having to constantly upgrade hardware, I got a PS4 and AC. After trying to live with the game for two weeks, I gave up and went back to AC on PC. The lack of leaderboards or even personal bests in addition to frame rate and the inability to use all of the great mods sent me packing. It's really unfortunate because consoles do deserve a top drawer sim like AC. Also, I'm crushed that RSR live timing is shutting down. Has anyone heard if someone will step in to replace it?

Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition just announced for consoles, comes with all DLC on April 20th.

That is the Digital Bros/505 Games way, keep pushing the DLC. Payday 2 remains the most egregious example with well over 50 separate DLC items and micro-transactions that would make even an EA executive blush. Little wonder Overkill Software bought the game back and removed the micro-transactions, much the same story with Rebellion games and the Sniper Elite series too.

Kunos sold their soul to the DLC devil but they just haven't realised it yet. If every car, track and other variable in whatever game they make next is DLC I won't be at all surprised. The console version will probably just be an empty box for six months and the disc to install the game will be DLC six months later on PS4 and soon (7or 8 months) after that on Xbox but will then take another 2 months to actually unlock.

I predict an RD article in 2020 when Kunos are buying back the games after fan fallout over DLC and micro transactions.

• Deleted member 197115

Wait, "sold soul to DLC"?
This is free content, who else besides Kunos give away cars and ls track for free?

This is free content, who else besides Kunos give away cars and ls track for free?

Well, to be fair, Reiza has given away a **** ton of free stuff.

Even Sector3 gives away free stuff occasionally, and you dont even need to pay for the base game itself to play :p

And rF2 they gave away Zandvoort last year, even if it is rather poorly done and highly unfinished.

I guess most sim racing devs do except iR and PCars.

AC certainly cant be accused of nickel and diming people though.

And as people have pointed out to Kunos on their forum, they couldn't even get giving away free content right on PS4. Who knows when Xbox will even get the free stuff? The rumour is Microsoft spotted the issues Sony missed in the patch. Yet Marco still does interviews talking about parity with the PC version and everyone being happy, clearly he doesn't read his own forum or social media feeds.

With the debacle Assetto has and continues to be on console giving away a bit of free DLC is the least they could do.

What amazes me is that Kunos's console devs appear to learn nothing from each failure and simply repeat the same bungling mistakes time and time again then quickly disappear without trace. They struggle to recreate the console users issues on their dev kits, even denying issues exist, because Kunos don't appear to own or test their own game on the commercially available consoles us players are using.

As for the paid DLC I was talking about whatever game comes next from Kunos. Sure the PC DLC has been well priced this time but that was a trend set by Kunos themselves. For the next game Digital Bros/505 games will have the say over DLC policy and pricing and their track record is appalling, see many of their back catalogue for examples and lots of fan complaints and eventually fed up developers. Lots more mouths and shareholder profits to feed next time around. Commercial success will almost certainly depend on delivering for the console market that Kunos treat as second class with the continued mistakes.

As for free mod tracks and cars I just can't see any of that fitting with the Digital Bros/505 DLC culture. Where is the profit and how do they deal with the IP/ownership issues?

I'm still expecting the Xbox One launch of this content to be something quite spectacular.

Everything you say is how it should have been on console, I agree what you describe would have been the ideal outcome for everyone. Sadly what the console audience got was nothing like the Assetto we know and love on PC. Let me be clear before I get shot down by the AC super fans I think the PC version is superb, it was early access done right and grew into something truly special, the handling, FFB, cockpit detail and excellent VR. I accept it is the pinnacle of the Kunos's work and it pains me to have had to point out many times the console version just isn't up to much. So with that in mind here is as objective an assessment of the console version as I can manage after many moths of disappointment.

Let's start with the one shining bright point:

- The same superb car handling and wheel FFB (and for that matter game pad control) was carried across from the PC version. The cars feel superb no questioning that, when the game works on console it is unsurpassed in that regard.

The current issue:

- The PS4 version is pretty much broken, crashing the console in many scenarios from practice sessions to races, especially when using the new free Laguna Seca content and cars. Even the most loyal and long believing PS4 AC fans are up in arms.

-Xbox players are still waiting for the update....soon...

Here are a few of the issues from early days to now:

- Single digit framerate. Xbox version launch with single digit framerate, the whole game stuttered along. The console tech was blamed but other games seem to work just fine.

- The 'retail launch' version released at £40 was actually more like PC early access code from 2015 missing many of the cars, tracks and other features already added to the PC version.

- Frustratingly many of the bugs that had already been fixed on the PC version were reintroduced to the console version and took months to fix.

- Mysteriously the console version of career and special events asked for faster lap times than the PC version. The AI in career were totally unbalanced. Career progress would mysteriously delete itself from time to time.

- There were no track limits or penalties working and this took months to fix, none of the console leagues could or would use a game in this condition.

- Car setups could not be saved for many months and some still say they disappear.

- There was no 'private online multiplayer' leaving players at the mercy of the console online lobby chaos.

- When private multiplayer was introduced it was clunky and time consuming with players having to reset the entire room to change cars and tracks, this often leads to multiplayer connection issues too.

- There is no in game recording of any lap times (this has been in the PC version for a long time now), or any form of leaderboard - we forget how many of the missing features of AC we make up for with the excellent mods available. Ok AC on PC does not have internal leaderboards but it does have RSR Live Timing available. Console players are used to leaderboards, rivals style events and AC includes none of this, pen and paper or screenshots to record times are it. In this respect Kunos failed to understand the console market entirely.

- The update system on console has been slower than any other game I've encountered. Kunos blame MS and Sony but the reality is other games manage parity far faster and without the update troubles. At each update on Xbox to date paid DLC has failed to unlock. In one case Kunos took so long to update the DLC unlocking process on Xbox (about 3 weeks I think) the DLC had been reduced in a sale to less than 1/2 price before full price paying customers ever got to use the content. Shocking behaviour towards loyal and often pre-order customers.

- On the PS4 version a bug that caused wheel DOR on the Logitech G920 (by far the most popular PS4 wheel) to incorrectly detect the DOR remains (this was introduced several patches back), the only solution is to restart the game.

- There have been consistent claims of PC version parity, the latest in Marco's interview with RPS https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/02/09/the-flare-path-rubber-blubber/ yet too many aspects to list remain unaddressed from as basic as broken car setups to custom key mapping.

I think Kunos have done more damage than good to their reputation with the console version, initially a broken game was launched, there have and continue to be multiple broken promises, glacial update cycles. No doubt they have made money, their accounts show a ratio of about 3:1 profit from console vs pc, but that is perceived as having been spent on the continued development of the PC version. As this is the end of the console game development cycle I can understand why people are still fed up with broken promises.

Personally and from many interactions with 'The Lord' himself, I believe the problem is that he and most likely the rest of the key talent at Kunos was never truly bought into producing a console version of the game. The console team is tiny and working at the very edge of their competence judging by results. Economics of the console player base and a lucrative sale to Digital Bros meant the console version was a necessary evil. When the boss doesn't care and is downright arrogant about consoles and console players why would anyone else in the company care? Bottom line, the console version of AC was a cash cow to continue development of the PC version.

Assetto Corsa remains the worst console release I've experienced in terms of missing features, game performance, glacial updates and broken promises. Such a contrast from the great game that it remains on PC.

The first post had it right, the game should have remained on PC only and I hope any follow up game does exactly that.

I think that about sums it up.

You have pointed out pertinent aspects, however you forgot to keep in mind, when comparing other games whose multi-platform transition went smoother than on AC's case, that said games are usually console games ported to PC (and not the other way around) and they usually have more than a few caveats, with being poorly optimized on the PC usually being the signature move... Anyone remember titles like Grand Theft Auto IV for instance? What about games like Project Cars? I mention this because if you look at the recommended specs for that game on PC are leaps and bounds beyond what current gen consoles are based on (yes even Xbox's new toy)

With that in mind it doesn't shock me that kunos can't quite seem to get the console versions of AC on par with the PC version. Just my two cents though

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 130 13.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 94 9.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 70 7.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 137 13.8%