Assetto Corsa: Steam Pre-Order Price 40-45 Euro

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Last edited by a moderator:
but I don't think anyone has made any really valid arguments other than "I DONT LIKE STEAM" as to why they would not use it..

Reasons have been given; take to the trouble of actually reading the posts why some will not buy AC.

A lot of people have been actively trying to help others in overcoming problems caused by Steam. Adding to Lee's experiences:

- some games require steam to be running, for no good reason (other than the usual "piracy" justification. We put this forth to Valve and Steam, as there are reports of cpu usage spikes well above normal (for processes of this nature).

- Steam login user info lost. As it has been shown, this is done on purpose.

- Steam has been hacked several times. These hacks/attacks were very serious (curiously, some of those blindly jumping to Steam's defence were very loud in regards to the PSN attacks)

- updates have caused a lot of trouble to several games (from Race07 to first-person-shooters and ARPGs; some of those updates required repeated uninstalls and reinstalls

- digital right management notwithstanding, there should never be a need to reconnect to the internet, unless the user wants it (to check on new games or game updates). Forcing this upon the user should not be seen as normal.

- Games not being available, no matter what the user tries.

- Errors in verifying Steam User ID

- Failure to load platform modules. For some, the "fixes" work, for others not.

- Recently, at NG, a member reported an old issue (Steam said this had been fixed): Registry is in use by another process, timeout expired. In most cases, a bug is still causing this.

There are more problems than the above. We could also talk about law suits by a German consumer group.

Obviously, some have never experienced serious issues.

Some will say that is the price to pay.

Some will say they never experienced problems when in fact they have (lucky fixes solved their problems).

Then we have the usual lot who blame people's problems with Steam on their ignorance - which is rather dumb, considering Steam acknowledge a lot of these problems and use steam client updates to issue fixes.

This is and never was a matter of boycott. Some will not buy AC if it's released on Steam, for all the reasons noted above. Others will not buy AC if it's released on Steam as a matter of principle (something some posters here clearly don't know what it means).

Hopefully, Kunos will also release AC some other way (other than a DD DRM platform).

Call of Duty. A shooter I don't like or play but I found it funny. So many boykott guys started a boykott COD group in steam (some thousands users in there) and later there was a screenshot with dozens playing it from that group.

In fairness, that boycott group was much bigger than page 1 of the members shown playing the game. The actual members was into the hundreds or thousands, and actually, the majority were not playing the game, but the 30 or so that did were up on page 1, still it made a good "meme", despite the overall inaccuracy. The sales numbers for the PC version also reflected this, being much lower than other titles as it happens.

My personal problem with Steam is that the prices suck. Every game released I have been able to buy a DVD copy for about £10-15 less. Sure the sales are often great, but they happen maybe twice a year, and if you want a game on release, you have a choice of either paying Steam's inflated price or hunting out for a DVD version (if one exists any more).

40-45 euros is too much for a digital version of a game IMO. We may accept it as a masterpiece and buy it but surely it's about bulk sales and at this price it's above most AAA titles. I would have thought they'd want to grab plenty of casual race fans but it's too high a price for that.

40-45 euros is too much for a digital version of a game IMO. We may accept it as a masterpiece and buy it but surely it's about bulk sales and at this price it's above most AAA titles. I would have thought they'd want to grab plenty of casual race fans but it's too high a price for that.

As a UK resident I was curious to find out the typical price of a PC game in Euros. Amazon de are selling Total War Rome II for 50 Euros. On Amazon uk its £30. 40-45 Euros isn't above the norm for a PC game in Europe. What ACs price will be in £ is remains to be seen but Steam have Total War Rome II for £30. Steam does usually adjust prices to fit the "regional norms of £30 in the UK and $50 in the US.

absolute rubbish, it's a very decent price for a game you're gonna be playing for years to come so effectively it works out very cheap indeed.

Seriously? Blackmailing? Then I don't want to download your tracks ever with that attitude.

How is that blackmailing?
Fine, you don't have to download my tracks, if I choose to release them, Im not forcing you to just as Im not being forced to use Steam.
It's not just me either, there's a few others out there that have been burnt by them as well...
It's not really an attitude, but your response seems to me as though I HAVE to release my tracks.
I don't.
I could just make them for myself & pass about amongst friends if I so choose to as with any other track or mod builder.
What is an attitude is claiming Im blackmailing & leaving me feeling as though Im being attacked for merely asking a couple of reasonable questions...

Refusing to use Steam? Seriously? It's the same as refusing to use your own washing machine. Just make an account, purchase & install the game and click on the Play button. There you go.

It's not that simple when you have a problem due to Steam.
Been there done that & won't ever again.

BTW, the more folks try to change my opinion of steam without wanting to know my reasons for my stance the more likely I am just to keep to myself.
In my experience, most people learning to build tracks & mods or have already mastered the art of building them do so & continue to do so, do it for their own satisfaction.
As I said, no-one forces you to download our content we make freely available just as no-one is forcing me to use Steam.
There's some of us that would like to attemp to build to the quality that A-C demands but to do so we'd need access to A-C & we just don't want to go down the Steam road again.
Im not attacking anything, Im not blackmailing anyone.
Im not telling anyone NOT to use Steam, Im just stating my personal stance when questioned why, even if I have been a bit more vocal in asking the question as to alternative outlets for Assetto Corsa.
If I can respect the opinion of others & their choice to use Steam then please respect my decision not to, thank You

Thank you too to Bram & Scott for being able to reasonably answer my questions to the best of your knowledge & yes Scott, confirmation would be nice- along with some more details from Kunos themselves
I've had similar issues with Steam and not a single title on my PC that uses it. One "Grey Zone" option if you only race offline like I do, is to purchase a Steam license, install the game, then apply some files to remove the need for Steam and uninstall it.

Oh, and to add on the negatives written above about Steam:

If you read the terms of service (SSA) you will find that they have the right, without any reason or proof, to ban your entire account, including all purchased games, for any reason they claim violates their TOS. They also have the right to UPDATE the TOS to include new clauses, and the only thing you can do if you disagree is to CLOSE your account (without any refund given).

Please tell me any other business, real or virtual, where you purchase something and subject yourself to a contract that can be changed by one side only, anytime they like, with the threat of you losing everything you paid for. This is an absolutly unique hostage-taking og paying customers.

I don't condone piracy, in my 20 years of PC gaming I have never owned a copied game. But if I really want a Steam title I will run it without Steam - there are always ways, which coincidally proves that Steam as Copy Protection is a big failure; the reason it's used has more to do with datamining and control over customers than piracy - piracy is just the excuse for restricting customer rights like the right to resell a purchase.

absolute rubbish, it's a very decent price for a game you're gonna be playing for years to come so effectively it works out very cheap indeed.
You missed the point. It's not about value it's about whether the price is too high to sell outside of the sim community.
The price isn't a problem for me..or you or any sim fans, but it wont attract new gamers.
No one can compare this to multi million selling franchises like Total War. This isn't a AAA mainstream title.
45 euros is just about £40 (give or take a few pence)

You missed the point. It's not about value it's about whether the price is too high to sell outside of the sim community.
The price isn't a problem for me..or you or any sim fans, but it wont attract new gamers.
No one can compare this to multi million selling franchises like Total War. This isn't a AAA mainstream title.
45 euros is just about £40 (give or take a few pence)

so you want a lower price so that Kunos make even less money? 40 quid for a game these days is average, console gamers buy 50 quid games without a demo to try first hand. Again for anyone, including a kid on a paper round, £40 is not a lot especially as you can start saving now.

lol..so touchy you lot :D

Sebastian - nice mature reply, well done to you ;)

If you don't understand - NO I dont want them to make less money. I want them to sell 3 times as many copies at a lower price that will bring in more money.

I guess petrol fumes over-ride the common sense part of the brain sometimes ;)

lol..so touchy you lot :D

Sebastian - nice mature reply, well done to you ;)

If you don't understand - NO I dont want them to make less money. I want them to sell 3 times as many copies at a lower price that will bring in more money.

I guess petrol fumes over-ride the common sense part of the brain sometimes ;)

I guess you've never run a business! Kunos know what they're doing and have priced accordingly....there's your mature response!

Latest News

Back