Assetto Corsa: RSR Nurburg partnership

ac_ring07.jpg

KUNOS Simulazioni have announced their latest partnership with RSR Nurburg, a driver tuition outfit based at the Nurburgring.

RSR Nurburg provides instructors and drivers at two permanent workshops at the 'Ring, and at the Circuit of Spa Francorchamps. Kunos say that the partnership will help make their recreation of the Nordschleife 100% accurate, with all reference points real drivers use included in the game.

The partnership will also have an impact on the handling and dynamics of Assetto Corsa's cars. RSR Nurburg and Assetto Corsa share an exclusive garage: BMW M3 E30 & E92, Lotus Exige S, Elise, 2 Eleven, McLaren MP4-12C together with Nissan GT-R, Toyota GT86 and other cars that will be included in the game. RSR will help refine the handling of these cars, using a simulator at RSR Nurburg's HQ.

RSR will also provide cars and support at other racetracks such as Vallelunga and Spa for dynamic tests and surveys, ensuring that the end result is a realistic as possible. Kunos also promise big news coming soon, I wonder what that'll be?

Check out some screenshots of the Nurburgring track, and new RSR Nurburg cars in the RaceDepartment gallery. Join the discussion in our AC forums, and get racing in our Assetto Corsa Racing Club!

How can they refine the handling of simulated cars?

Either they drive like they are meant to by design, or the physics engine isn't right?

Or are we saying there are arbitrary decisions made in the set up of cars that are not simulated properly, and RSR will help choose good 'arbitrary' values?

Just a bit confused, but it sounds good in the end :)

Dave
If you mean something absolute in simulating something, there's no need to worry so.
When you experrience or imagine friction in your daily lives, strictly speaking you can never know how the elementary particles on the stuffs work and make the grip. The friction equation is not even close to each particle's motion but can explain the reality approximatively for a practical use. No equation of any kind can identically describe our world. Never.

One point to simulate the world well is to get enough accurateness to trick our brain as much as possible.

If you mean something absolute in simulating something, there's no need to worry so.
When you experrience or imagine friction in your daily lives, strictly speaking you can never know how the elementary particles on the stuffs work and make the grip. The friction equation is not even close to each particle's motion but can explain the reality approximatively for a practical use. No equation of any kind can identically describe our world. Never.

One point to simulate the world well is to get enough accurateness to trick our brain as much as possible.

Well, that is a pessimistic view of the future of physics :p

This is great news, better than most of the content news in its impact on the sim as a whole i think!
With a team that has such experience at these tracks, and most importantly is willing to share its cars with the devs...is a mind blowingly awesome move. The devs can learn so much more if they able to drive the sim cars back to back with the real versions on the same tracks and make adjustments to suit.

I think this is one of the biggest announcements for AC...big congrats to Kuno's on getting this sorted!

Well, I've said it before and I don't mind saying it again but the more fine tuning they plan to do with the cars and the track, the less likely is the September date that they promised us through the Christmas announcement end of 2013.

And no, I don't mean this in a negative way, I fully understand that things take time but if you make such an announcement 9 months in advance and you realize you cannot keep the date, then you should not wait till the last minute and say "Oh, we just noticed we won't make it in September".

They should know better than to work with those tricks since the majority of us is anyway patient enough. There's always trolls though, but in the end I think we can handle the truth better than they give us credit for.

Well, I've said it before and I don't mind saying it again but the more fine tuning they plan to do with the cars and the track, the less likely is the September date that they promised us through the Christmas announcement end of 2013.

And no, I don't mean this in a negative way, I fully understand that things take time but if you make such an announcement 9 months in advance and you realize you cannot keep the date, then you should not wait till the last minute and say "Oh, we just noticed we won't make it in September".

They should know better than to work with those tricks since the majority of us is anyway patient enough. There's always trolls though, but in the end I think we can handle the truth better than they give us credit for.
Do you have the blog post or forums post where they promise a release date?

Do you have the blog post or forums post where they promise a release date?

The september date he is talking about is for the dreampack dlc (Nordschleife + 10 cars)
http://www.assettocorsa.net/nurburgring/

I guess he has a point the plan from back than is kinda optimistic since we are already mid august. But anyway for me it doesn't make a huge difference when we will get it... There is so much stuff coming, it will be awesome no matter what :D

Nowadays computers are not even close to be able to recreate the complexity of real world physics related to a car in movement. What a physics engine does, is to use mathematical models that given certain inputs (e.g. tyre pressure, angle of slip, physical forces transferred to the wheel by the car) can "simulate" how an object would behave in real life (e.g. how a tyre deforms and transfers the physical forces between the ground and the rest of the car).

So yes, they are using their expertise of these people to help them choose "good" arbitrary values.

Hehe, someone got the jist of my post :)

I'm surprised they didn't have this person/persons in-house from the start.

Unless they did, but they are not very good?! Seems like the considerations of handling experts should have been involved from the start of the physics engine, making sure the right kinda arbitrary/magic tuning values get in from the start.

I can see a physics re-build/re-work looming.

Dave

Hehe, someone got the jist of my post :)

I'm surprised they didn't have this person/persons in-house from the start.

Unless they did, but they are not very good?! Seems like the considerations of handling experts should have been involved from the start of the physics engine, making sure the right kinda arbitrary/magic tuning values get in from the start.

I can see a physics re-build/re-work looming.

Dave

Well they are currently investigating an issue with the kerb physics, but it will probably have an effect on more than just the kerbs as I think the belief or the understanding is that its an issue with the tyres rather than the physical object of the kerbs... http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...famous-kerb-of-death.12944/page-4#post-226736

So I still consider the physics to be WIP at the moment.

The danger is, when you're generating an income without actually having 'finished' a product, that you just perpetually run in an non-finished state through the entire product life cycle.

I hope that doesn't happen, delays are reasonable but, from experience, there is always a good excuse to delay things to 'make it better' when you don't really NEED to do a final release to stay in business.

Dave

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back