Assetto Corsa Released on Xbox One and PlayStation 4

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Assetto Corsa Console Released.jpg

Kunos Simulazioni and 505 Games have, finally, released Assetto Corsa in Europe for Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Bringing the popular PC simulation to console gamers for the first time.

Following several delays, Assetto Corsa has been released in Europe for console players to enjoy, placing firmly in its target sights the mainstay console racing giants Forza Motorsport and Gran Tourismo. Highly regarded by PC gamers as a detailed simulation, with laserscanned circuits and true to life driving physics, the attention to detail that has been lavished on Assetto Corsa in recent years will bring a new definition of simulation to console players.

Assetto Corsa has been in development on PC since 2013, with several sizable updates to the core game physics and ample first class content added to expand the already impressive list of cars and tracks. Utilising the experience gained during the development of Assetto Corsa on PC, Kunos have been working hard in conjunction with their publisher 505 games to optimise the game for console players. New menu and UI screens have been added, bringing about a modern, fresh feeling to the navigational areas of the sim. Kunos have been at pains to maintain both the console and PC versions of Assetto Corsa remain identical under the hood, allowing Xbox and PlayStation gamers the same opportunity to experience the advanced driving experience that has made Assetto Corsa such a popular title with PC sim racers in recent years. Marco Massarutto of Assetto Corsa released a recent posting on his personal Facebook page, responding to rumblings within the community that AC on console will not offer the same experience as PC players. The post in full, and community comments, can be seen in the Assetto Corsa sub forum here.

UPDATE:
New Assetto Corsa launch trailer for European release below:

Check our recent article to view the list of compatible controllers for Assetto Corsa on PS4 and Xbox One, and check out the AC release trailer here if you haven’t already seen it.

Assetto Corsa will be available on console for players in North America on August 30th.

PC players will be receiving update 1.8 and the new Trpl3 DLC later today. Keep an eye out at RaceDepartment for more information once the update has been released.

Got the game, now join the discussion. Head over to the Assetto Corsa forums for news and community discussion regarding the game. PC players can take advantage of our substantial mods database and Modding Discussion forum, and sign up to some of our regular club racing events.

Have you got your copy yet? First impressions positive? Let us know in the comments section below!

I think they will get lots of flak from those who expect a Forza/GT contender. They will get criticism for lack of console features (career, fancy graphics, cant drive with controller etc...).

At the same time I do think the game will draw a small group of people that do like the more realistic car handling and like the game. It's a ballsy move from Kunos to release this type of game on consoles, but i'm happy they did it as Pcars is the only sim-like game out there.

Yeah I read that too. Didn't look too promising...

Yea, I tried to remain optimistic, but then I realized multiplayer was not even ready to be customized in any manner at all (preset lobbies, pre-chosen variations of car and track, which are random and small in number, when they work). I have decided to wait and buy later. Hopefully, they will eventually have servers that we can interact with. Otherwise, online racing is DOA. I can see why it was not discussed...and I feel they should have at least leveled with us instead of advertizing "Fully customizable...multiplayer modes."

In fact, I know of no other game going back to 2009 that didn't have at least some way to play with your buddies. Adding fuel to the fire (just my opinion) is the fact that the forums are mixing PC player expectations (which tend to forgive works in progress, understandably) with console disappointment (who really don't understand or care about server architecture and the advantages it can have). Kunos is now in the unenviable position of balancing corporate exposure with being honest and straightforward. Sadly, the two are at odds.

I do like the fact that they are server based and not P2P. This should provide MP stability that only Forza has right now. If they get it sorted and do it right, it can potentially leapfrog the rest of the field.

Edit: Apparently frame rate is a big issue too. Lots of tearing and such. That can probably be patched, no? Hope so. I know that 60fps/900p with minimal tearing and good graphics is entirely possible on console. DiRT did it quite well. And F1 2016 is a massive improvement. Codies seem to have the formula down.

Last edited:
To summarize what I read in ac forum:
There are users that complain about game being too difficult : this totally to be expected as most people have at best pcars to compare.
About technical issues : most about xbox and there is a post from dev that they are looking. This is very weird and to be honest unacceptable.
About servers : that they can't join custom servers but only pre-configured by kunos. Really strange choice if you ask me. I don't know anything about lobbies but custom servers was to be expected.
So , with known career simplicity, public servers the game has currently only single player/ hotlap usage and also combined with low fps or tearing.
Not the best start.
I hope patches will fix technical issues asap . About online sessions , I have little faith.

People love to draw attention to themselves, Pretty much every game no matter what the budget goes through a hate cycle.

In this case it seems to be compounded by a wide level of incomprehension of how a sim is presented. And much of that is from how Gran Turismo and Forza have been marketed.

Ive seen this game savaged for its lack of arcade, and over abundance of sim, Which is exactly what should have been expected.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 333 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 229 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 169 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 289 13.4%