Assetto Corsa: New cars, tracks and features released

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

Assetto Corsa: New cars, tracks and features released

After a groundbreaking start on Steam Early Access for the new PC racing title Assetto Corsa. The development team have been working furiously on the delivering next release which is available for free for current owners of the Steam game.

The new version includes; new features, new drift mode, three new cars and two new tracks! Furthermore this free update also features several improvements....
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

@Simon Roberts
it's old, and not beautiful. teselation for car tyres and driver helmet.

@Radek Zukowski
come on dude, even forza 4 on an 8years old hardware have 3d trees :D

I have to say... I think its very nice as it is. And personally i would rather have a modern pc being able to handle 25+ car full grids, over the same pc bogged down on 10 car minigrids but with all the eyecandy in the world...

For simracing, eyecandy is nice, but NEVER worth more than physics, handling and flow with large grids. A top computer needs to be able to handle 30 cars on track, in view, at 60fps minimum, for sim immersion. This can not be done with the features you talk of (light shafts, tesselated subsurfaces) and todays hardware.

Therefore, outside of hotlapping and flashing your new super hardware at your mates, its rather useless at the present time.

How many videos on yt do you see of pCARS stating "maxxed out!!", that also have 25+ ai on track, in view at the same time? Not many, if any?

Same reason...

I have to say... I think its very nice as it is. And personally i would rather have a modern pc being able to handle 25+ car full grids, over the same pc bogged down on 10 car minigrids but with all the eyecandy in the world...

For simracing, eyecandy is nice, but NEVER worth more than physics, handling and flow with large grids. A top computer needs to be able to handle 30 cars on track, in view, at 60fps minimum, for sim immersion. This can not be done with the features you talk of (light shafts, tesselated subsurfaces) and todays hardware.

Therefore, outside of hotlapping and flashing your new super hardware at your mates, its rather useless at the present time.

How many videos on yt do you see of pCARS stating "maxxed out!!", that also have 25+ ai on track, in view at the same time? Not many, if any?

Same reason...
That's why god invented graphics options. You can turn stuff off if you wish. It's also about future proofing a title so that in 24 months time, the game doesn't look dated.

That's why god invented graphics options. You can turn stuff off if you wish. It's also about future proofing a title so that in 24 months time, the game doesn't look dated.

Yes, i can agree with this in part, but i do not think it is a TOP priority for AC development. It will still look good in 3 years as it is now (heck, i still think rFactor1 looks good, if you spice it up a bit with some AA and filtering).

Also, if one where to disregard something (especially in a niche segment like race sims) for it looking "dated" one would miss a lot of the good stuff...

The problem is also a risk of public backlash if you build a title with options people are not going to be able to use. See ARMA3 release for reference on this...

If you put "insane realtime-rendering of every atom in the gameworld"-modes in there, you can bet your wage that "Joe Haxxorcomputer" will go "I can't maxxxx it, man! Poorly optimized! Crap devs, metascore 0 FTW!" ;)

What they could do however is have some more nuances to the lighting as they have DX11 power. I think at the moment it looks a bit "samey" all across a track length, something that is rarely the case in real life, where light conditions change constantly while racing.

Yes, i can agree with this in part, but i do not think it is a TOP priority for AC development. It will still look good in 3 years as it is now (heck, i still think rFactor1 looks good, if you spice it up a bit with some AA and filtering).

Also, if one where to disregard something (especially in a niche segment like race sims) for it looking "dated" one would miss a lot of the good stuff...

The problem is also a risk of public backlash if you build a title with options people are not going to be able to use. See ARMA3 release for reference on this...

If you put "insane realtime-rendering of every atom in the gameworld"-modes in there, you can bet your wage that "Joe Haxxorcomputer" will go "I can't maxxxx it, man! Poorly optimized! Crap devs, metascore 0 FTW!" ;)

What they could do however is have some more nuances to the lighting as they have DX11 power. I think at the moment it looks a bit "samey" all across a track length, something that is rarely the case in real life, where light conditions change constantly while racing.

ARMA3 runs great! I have no problems with that title at all.

And rFactor looks TERRIBLE! Really showing its age now no matter how much AA and AF you throw at it.

I think AC lighting is beautiful and Imola especially looks lovely at 6:00pm

How can u not have problems running ARMA3??
Bethesda's engine sux balls. Totally.
Singleplayer may run good with those updates, but
you can be glad if you find a server that does not lag...

An engine, that does not support more than one core? In 2013? Seriuosly?

ARMA3 runs great! I have no problems with that title at all.

And rFactor looks TERRIBLE! Really showing its age now no matter how much AA and AF you throw at it.

I think AC lighting is beautiful and Imola especially looks lovely at 6:00pm

At 10 000 view and object distance? :)

It runs great, i think so too, but it has settings that you can use that grinds down any system... I don't think you use them because no sane person would of course... But the amount of flak Bohemia took for ppl not hitting solid 60 fps, nor being able to pull "slider all the way up", it was nasty, so i used it as a reference here. I've been in the arma community for ages, this release was particularly bad, with many new ppl from steam release, being very vocal on this. Myself, i run it at a cozy framerate and with rather good settings, so i am a happy camper as well there, it is a resource hog though :)

On the rFactor looks, i still maintain i think it looks rather good, with some trickery, but yes, of course it shows some age. But it really doesn't matter to me as long as it is not immersion breaking-ugly. And it sure isn't. GPL is however. That is beyond what i even i can live with nowadays...

And regarding AC then, i just realized i've never changed the time settings. Have to try it at early morning right away. What i meant however, was that lighting is beautiful indeed, but the variation of light across the track is too small. For instance there should be a larger difference between grand stand-surrounded front stretch and open back stretch. Maybe it's the HDR acting up, i dunno... Do you have HDR on?

How can u not have problems running ARMA3??
Bethesda's engine sux balls. Totally.
Singleplayer may run good with those updates, but
you can be glad if you find a server that does not lag...

An engine, that does not support more than one core? In 2013? Seriuosly?

My computer runs it evenly across all 4 cores, and with full GPU utilization. It's a myth that it uses only one core. It's been multi-core, multi-thread since ARMA2, second update i believe. What it does do on the other hand, is process loads of scripts. The script engine is the biggest culprit... Push loads of AI and you see the point... But i would agree that it actually runs really nice, if you have a good enough server to run it on. Try joining a private group for smaller coop. That's how i play and our servers are never riddled with any FPS issues.

Also, Bohemia, not Bethesda :)

Yes you are right, I am still playing at around 4000 view and draw and manage 60fps then, but then again i think i have been used to playing A2 with less view distance on Chernarus.

Try Imola at 6pm ;)

Actually already fired it up just to see... And wow. You're right, it looks stunning. Gonna have to start early bird racing from now on :)

And the old saying goes, "us veterans of Charnarus, we know our 15fps when we see it" :)

Shame on me, of course Bohemia :whistling:
Well, i admit, that i havent played it recently, and i mostly join well visited Wasteland servers.
Singleplayer runs ok though, but I have a hard time fo find a smooth running public server.
Havent found a nice causual gaming group atm either, so cant realy try co-op mode.

@Simon Roberts
yeah, it is a DX11 game but it looks like a DX9 game in terms of lighting and some other features. BTW, AC comes in 2014 not 2006.

@Richard Eriksson
i know what you are saying and i agree but it is a sim game, tracks,car models and graphics details matters as much as physics. anything about it is great, i bought it and i love it and it's a best looking sim racing game on pc but not as good as other sim racings on consoles and by consoles i mean last-gen consoles. as "Sodemo" said, they are options, you can turn them off if they are causing problems.

@Richard Eriksson
"The problem is also a risk of public backlash if you build a title with options people are not going to be able to use. See ARMA3 release for reference on this…"
i don't have problem with ArmA III on max with normal draw distance, it's unoptimized CPU-Bound crap i must say but in the same time it's most optimized ArmA title ever. but Assetto Corsa with current state (old effects & dated graphics) is not optimized as well as it must be, it don't use even half of my cpu power, it uses 53 to 65% of my gpu and it's not all the time locked at 60fps specially in replays (bear that in mind there is only one car for the beta and 2D trees in tracks). better optimizations need time & money but must of the devs doesn't have one or don't care at all.

@Richard Eriksson
i don't mind 34 35 cars in it, it is small but i'm sure modders will mod the hell out of it with 1000 cars :D

(sorry guys for my english and i really like here, anyone in here is cool and pro)

@AmirBan
Oprimizations is always good, can't argue with that. However it's quite hard to optimize on the graphics side when using DX11 as it's pretty much standardized. And i think the cpu usage looks good, meaning it will probably scale well. For now we can see performance with one car on track, it's good... But we must have a lot of room now in terms of utilization, to be able to handle more cars on track.

More on topic... One thing i would like is data logging. I would like to be able to finally, in a sim, be able to see motec and racevox-like data outputs of my laps for setup purposes, without plugins and mods and what not. That would really be a next gen sim detail to me.

@AmirBan
More on topic... One thing i would like is data logging. I would like to be able to finally, in a sim, be able to see motec and racevox-like data outputs of my laps for setup purposes, without plugins and mods and what not. That would really be a next gen sim detail to me.

Already in the sim Richard.

Download AIM race studio software and import the telemetry dump.nkt file from Docuuments/Assetto Corsa/aim folder after a session.

http://www.aimsports.com/products/race-studio/downloads.html

If you mean having that sort of detailed telemetry analysis integrated in to the sim itself, well i don't see the point personally. The real profession tools are already there and working well. Actually integrating telemetry tools of that quality into the sim seems to me to be a waste of resources.

Last edited:
Already in the sim Richard.

Download AIM race studio software and import the telemetry dump.nkt file from Docuuments/Assetto Corsa/aim folder after a session.

http://www.aimsports.com/products/race-studio/downloads.html

If you mean having that sort of detailed telemetry analysis integrated in to the sim itself, well i don't see the point personally. The real profession tools are already there and working well. Actually integrating telemetry tools of that quality into the sim seems to me to be a waste of resources.

Wow. Didn't know of this... Gotta try it now. Also, thiswould probably make it possible to write my own software to use this file in algorithmic setup work.

Thanks!

I have a problem here. I did a couple of laps and tried to load the file. Race Studio 2 can see the folder and the .nkt file but there's no .drk file. What am I doing wrong here? I assume I should click Import NetKar file in Race Studio 2, right?

Problem solved. I asked myself :>

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 305 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 212 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 204 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 155 7.8%