Overall effects strength: 100%
Spring effects strength: 0%
Damper effects Strength: 0%
Centering: 0%
Degrees: 900

Allow game to adjust settings CHECKED
Combined Pedals MUST BE DISABLED

In AC -> Controls -> Advanced

Force Feedback Gain: 85% (the overall strength of all effects).
Filter: 0% (helps to smooth out FFB effects).
Damping: 0% (helps by deadening the feel of the wheel and FFB effects).
Minimum Force: 5% (can assist with G27 deadzone issue & enhance FFB).

Kerb effects: adjust to personal taste ('rumble' effect caused by driving across a kerb).
Road effects: adjust to personal taste (additional wheel vibration to simulate the road/track surface).
Slip effects: adjust to personal taste (additional FFB effects to simulate a loss of traction).

Last edited:
My impression of damping + centering spring effects is that they're applied on top of game effects, for use in games that are missing those forces entirely.

I don't know what the DirectX force feedback interface works like for games though, maybe the game can adjust them dynamically.

Mainly I think damping would help stop the wheel overshooting, eg. if you let go of the wheel in most cars I'd expect it to straighten out but if the FF effects are too strong it'll sometimes fishtail instead cause of a positive feedback loop. Also slows down the wheel in general though, with the recommended settings above it's hard for me to correct oversteer cause the wheels don't correct quickly enough to find the right balance.

That is why it is imperative to have the wheel loosen up when trying to correct a spin with less grip. There is alot wrong with the FFB in AC but having the wheel auto correct itself when coming out of a slide like in other games, and like in real cars is very much needed.

im trying to put 900 degrees but when i finish the wizard i have only 190
Πρεπει να πας στην εναρξη devece and printers να βρεις το τιμονι σου με δεξι κλικ να πας στο game controler settings μετα properties και καπου εκει να ορισεις 900 μοιρες μετα πας στο παιχνιδι μπαινεις options ...> controller ...> πανω αριστερα στο κυκλακι που εχει τον auto wizard αν θυμαμαι καλα για να κανει αυτοματα την αναγνωριση εκει θα σου δειξει μονο του οτι εισαι καπου απο 700 εως 900 μοιρες το κακο ειναι οτι καθε φορα πρεπει να το κανεις αυτο για να παιξει.

what? es tut mir sehr leid, aber ich verstehe nicht, was du da schreibst.
Sie gehen müssen, um devece und Drucker START, um das Lenkrad mit der rechten Maustaste, um das Spiel controler Einstellungen Meta Eigenschaften gehen und irgendwo auf 900 Grad eingestellt, nachdem Sie zum Spiel zurückkehren, finden eintritt Optionen ...> Controller ...> Spitze des Kreises links das hat den auto-Assistenten, wenn ich mich richtig, diese Anerkennung dort zu machen erinnern ich zeige ihm, dass Sie irgendwo sind 700-900 Grad des Bösen ist, dass jedes Mal, wenn Sie dies tun, um zu spielen.
Sorry for my poor german i put it on google translate hope is understandable

The driver effects run in the hardware somewhere at a very high frequency iirc, so outside of the driver/direct play bottlenecks.

To do damping and it feel very smooth and granular and like a wheel in toffee, not a wheel in lots of jaggedy cubes with a subtle grain, you use the internal effects for that it seems.

So the real question is leveraging the main forces you need to give the aligning torques via the rack with these other 'effects' to create the right end result for the user.

I'm not sure on the whole flowchart of how things work. All I know is if I plug my G25 into my PS3 and fire up GT5 and drive my Z4 with the N2/N3 type tyres on a windy road it feels just like my real Z4 steering.
I can turn and let go and it just neatly self-centres, I can get the back end out and the wheel spins fast to counter-steer, until I grab it and it then goes nice and full of feedback, but never snapping back/forth.

I agree the wheel rotation speed can limit you. My DFP was very slow so you had to 'help' it counter-steer faster... but my G25 is much faster and 95% of the time it does this job perfectly.
I used to complain about my G25 until I played GT5 with it and at that point I realised the wheel was fine, the issue is PC developers simply struggle to use the hardware at their disposable properly.

All in my view and experiences :D

All AC need to do is pay someone to sit down and tune one wheel to perfection with a given car. Then another car, and then plug in another wheel and balance that one to feel the same... eventually they'll have a load of default settings and profiles and cars that all feel consistently nice.

I should be able to run wheel X then wheel Y and the same two cars feel kinda the same way as they did before when I swap between them.

To start pushing the FF responsibility onto the user is exactly why games like GT5 feel so much better because they haven't left the user to make choices, they've all been made for us and it's for the better!
Assuming the guys making the choices are capable of course :D

I used to complain about my G25 until I played GT5 with it and at that point I realised the wheel was fine, the issue is PC developers simply struggle to use the hardware at their disposable properly.
I think I've had best luck with RBR for oversteer working smoothly, dunno if that's all FF or if they just have a more forgiving simulation too. DFGT's maybe a bit weaker than other games expect...

It's a fairly complex system for FF really.

IRL the aligning torques send a lot of force to the rack. If you take away the driver touching the wheel the forces are still there correcting the lock etc.

They might be quite high but power steering will mask them from us. So the wheel can spin really fast and at high forces but the power steering system will never let us sense these forces because as soon as they build up they are assisted.

This is a fundamental difference between a power assisted vs non-assisted steering feel and I think it needs to be simulated effectively.

As said, GT5 seems to get this really nice. There is a great dead weight of the rack around dead ahead, but as soon as the rack loads up and we get some twist in the steering shaft the assistance comes in and stops the force getting really high.

The end result is just great FF that feels real and cars that respond ok. Ie, let go of the steering mid bend and it just straightens out smoothly without see-saw motions.

I'm unsure how AC is working. Do some cars have power steering and others not? Or are all cars just feeding pure rack forces to the wheel and then having them scaled up/down to feel ok in bends?

It's hard to know for sure but the F458 felt like the latter. Not much weight right ahead replaced with quite high steering forces in bends.

It'd be interesting to find a way to log the force at the wheel in the drivers to see the curves vs rotations.

Dave

To start pushing the FF responsibility onto the user is exactly why games like GT5 feel so much better because they haven't left the user to make choices, they've all been made for us and it's for the better!
Assuming the guys making the choices are capable of course :D

Well, FFB is highly subjective. Key thing is adjustability. Here the subjectivity shows a lot for me, GT5 ffb is complete bullcrap vs AC even at this stage for me. Quite lifeless and inconsistent with some bumps, curbs etc.. sometimes feel a bit, sometimes nothing, and sometimes a spiky "clunk". Weight feel is somewhere there, but could be lot better. And adjustability is just the force and thats it.

Well, FFB is highly subjective. Key thing is adjustability. Here the subjectivity shows a lot for me, GT5 ffb is complete bullcrap vs AC even at this stage for me. Quite lifeless and inconsistent with some bumps, curbs etc.. sometimes feel a bit, sometimes nothing, and sometimes a spiky "clunk". Weight feel is somewhere there, but could be lot better. And adjustability is just the force and thats it.

I agree.

Maybe for the race cars AC is better. But for road cars AC still seems to get that see-saw action going on which just doesn't happen at all in real road cars in real life.

If you actually drive and take note of steering 'feel' in road cars it's actually not really that detailed. Quite linear in force output etc. Even on bumpy roads there isn't too much happening.

You DO get a lot of feel through pedals/chassis/seats though and maybe we tend to like the idea of putting those forces through the FF... but that would be wrong to do really.

It's a difficult thing to balance but starting with pure 'real' steering seems ideal... then add on effects from there to suit your tastes.

But whichever way you view it KS need to tell us how to use our controllers to get the best from their sim. Having us tweaking around with settings all over does seem a bit of a bad way to get the best from a simulator that is meant to have the best everything since ever!

Dave

Well I'm not sure about my settings but currently using gain 100%, filter 0.4, and damping 0.1

Too high damping just makes forces like self-centring not occur in good time, but then too low and the wheel will flip left/right easily in a straight line and feel lifeless dead ahead.

Filtering is essential to kill off the high frequency noise I'm getting from some kerbs and when coming to a stop with ABS etc.

But I'm unsure that this is the right place to tweak these. Ie, the F458 is better at 80% weight, but the X-bow feels better at 100% weight.

Also filtering surely should be a function of the car to begin with? Ie, does it have big rubbery bushes on the rack mounts and track rod ends, or is it all hard rose jointed?

Glad I've got nice settings now so cars kinda feel better generally. I'm just not happy that I have access to these controls that make such a big difference to the feeling.

I hate to refer to GT5 but you just pick the wheel you own and the strength of forces and everything scales around that.

Can't KS tell us exactly what they believe are the right settings for our wheels?

Dave

I have the settings to allow the game to make changes so I assume I don't need to touch these?

Are they just for the G25?

What about the settings in-game, filtering and damping? They have made the biggest difference to me.

I'm confused, I thought all these effects were programmed by the game. Ie, set them all to 100% and have the game send no signal to these 'effects' and they are inert any way.

Dave

I make a profile for each individual sim but they all look like this

pfgrZTo.jpg

But what if AC is using some of those effects to simulate things?

Given their 'recommended' settings posted earlier (if they are really from KS) I'd argue that they are indeed using some of these effects.

I'm almost certain that the in-sim 'damper' setting in the wheel FF settings are using the Damper Effect Strength in the screenie above, so turning it to zero doesn't let AC use an effect the original authors programmed.

This is why it's all confusing, and this is why, imo, AC should advice users to set all these values to default and then control them all properly inside the sim with per-wheel default profiles.

I'm running all 100% and 0.4 filtering, 0.05 damping, and I'm quite happy with it now... but is that right? Is 0.07 damping right, and 0.5 filtering, or some other combo?

ONLY AC know what their sim is meant to feel like so they need to explicitly tell us and force the right feel as default unless we tell it explicitly to feel differently.

As said, the profiler in the controller is only really there for games that need profiles adding. ALL the effects listed in that panel are part of the DX driver via Direct Play and should be set by the game developers to the desired amounts.
Ie, if the game devs don't want X effect, they can turn it off.

Asking users to make profiles is exactly what the profiler isn't there for. The profiler is there for fixing games that game devs made badly or didn't include proper support for (TDU 2 for example hehe :D )

The only really useful feature of the profile is key binding to buttons imo. A good game like AC should even offer this via the game menu/control config though!

Dave

I don't have a profile for AC, that is my global profile.
If you wan't damping setting (in game) to work, then the damping should be 100%.
Spring effect should definitely be 0%, like also recommended by KS.

Logi.JPG

Last edited:

Latest News

Back