1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice
Like RaceDepartment on Facebook.

Assetto Corsa Interest Thread

Discussion in 'Xbox One | RaceDepartment INDYCAR Series' started by Rob, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Rob

Rob
    XBO: OctoberDusk06 Premium Member

• Love Love x 1
  2. Rob

Rob

Slightly Mad Studios:
    [​IMG]

Kunos Simulazioni Studios:
    [​IMG]

• Wow Wow x 1
  3. mcnasty1

mcnasty1
    mcnasty0421

Coolest workplace ever..lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rob

Rob

ASSETTO CORSA ON PS4 / XBOX ONE - FIRST IMPRESSIONS

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  7. That was fantastic, most honest and funny review of a game I've seen in ages. Had me in stitches but despite the laughs I agree fully with his comments. I thought I was listening to our ol' buddy @Chris Hempsall too :)

AC looks good and the handling looks very impressive but I have to say it reminded me somewhat of Forza in so far as it seemed to lack a sense of speed. It was especially apparent in comparison to pCars when it went split screen.

No pit stops is a major flaw too... along with no weather of course.

The rest must be top notch for it to do as well as it does. Less than a month until we can test it ourselves :thumbsup:

8. Rob

Rob

He is very funny. But I take what he says with a grain a salt. He's not a SIM racer, truth be known. In fact, his site is heavy on the Forza, GTA, and other games, incl. Truck Simulators. The fake line should tip you off. :)

Interesting in that I feel Project Cars lacks that sense of speed. The recent challenge we did at Laguna Seca was horrendous. Probably the worst I have ever felt in a game, including Forza. And our buddies over at the other site agreed. I could have walked faster than that Corvette at Laguna. lol. Never had a real issue with Forza, as the weaknesses in that game (I played in Forza leagues for two years, and even raced FM6 :O_o:) have everything to do with pits, physics, and lack of MP options. In fact, although I don't know Assetto yet, it's the least likely to be like Forza, IMO. I'd bet good money that it's the anti-Forza. All the PC guys say there is nothing closer to real racing than Assetto. I believe them, especially since they obviously nailed the sound and track detail (all laser scanned, not two or three) better than pCARS.

I should have mentioned that review is quite old. There are pit stops now. In fact, the crew is fully animated. And the pit options are brilliantly presented.They have patched the A.I. and the career mode too. Much better according to folks here.

I still maintain that Assetto will be a major hit if MP is stable and Granted, there is no solution for console players' short attention span and lack of appetite for real SIM racing.

9. Rob

Rob

Great find Boothy. Quite interesting.

10. The guys on the other site didn't actually agree about the sense of speed being lacking tbf... but they mentioned the adjusting of the FoV improving it for sure. I've never actually had any issues in that respect with pCars as its always seemed really good to me and you know how I felt about that lack of speed on Forza, its one of the big reasons that I've never really played it despite have both 3 and 5... I might even have 4 as well actually lol. They all had that same slowness that made it feel like gong for a Sunday drive rather than racing. The first clip of that video definitely reminded me of Forza.. graphically at least as I know physics wise its a million miles apart... well so we are led to believe anyway :whistling:. I don't believe everything I hear from the pc guys... for every positive comment there's also a negative so I'll reserve judgement until it's in our drives :)

Glad to hear the pit stops are now included. I think I did see something about it but wasn't sure whether that was just in multiplayer.

The proof as always is in the pudding and we get to taste it in little over a months time so not too long to wait :thumbsup:

11. Rob

Rob

Well, we can agree on your last sentence at least. :D But which game that has been developed on the PC first is a dog? Project Cars? DiRT Rally? The guys at VVV have said it's *exactly* like the PC on the XBO, so unless they are full of it (I'll grant you they tend to go easy, but you can always read between the lines...and besides, others say the same thing, including the above) I think it's safe to conclude that handling will be stellar. All that really leaves it MP in my opinion. The rest has been patched. Bugs for sure, but the previews are not going ape sh*t over bugs like they did in pCARS. Further, Forza is a known quantity to the PC guys and they despise it...rightly so. The speed thing is subjective, and I'm only really talking about the GT cars. They just seem slow as hell in pCARS, but maybe it's because I'm used to that open feel and faster pace of open wheel? This does not look "slow" to me (you gotta remember, that guy in the review is a VERY slow driver):

It's always a trade off. I have already noticed that Assetto has dirt on the windshield and tire squeal, like pCARS should have, but pCARS has the weather and the look to apex. Yet, all tolled, Assetto is up there in the top three...always. Project Cars is not. Then we have the frame rate. It's pegged at 60fps. 1080p is likely but even if not, 900p will suffice...in stark contrast to Project Cars...still! I'm not sure how anyone can have much of a question besides what MP will be like. I guess you could say content, but how many of us actually race Rapuna? Bathurst? Oscherschleben? or Road America on a regular basis? Do you love open wheel? Or even race vs. street? Others love GT. To each his own, but most don't always run all cars and tracks. Clearly, though, I'd agree, if MP is screwed up they are in for a long slog. That's what killed pCARS after all, even after the patches. Console people are very fickle.

12. You should know me by now Rob I'll always question anything that is just on paper and not sitting here in front of me personally to try... words are cheap, it's reality that count. I remember all the very same things being said about pCars which is now Satan's spawn for many apparently lol. However, I love pCars despite its problems so if AC is actually as good as the words then its win, win for us and we'll have two fantastic games to enjoy. Three if I ever get on to Dirt of course. AC is still pre-ordered for me so I should get it the day before release.

I am not too fussed about lack of content providing what is there is good. Of course more tracks would be better but hey, F1 is set to the same tracks and cars each year (give or take one or two) and that's never been a problem.

The open wheel sense of speed is always much better than closed cockpit as it is bound to be and I am of course only going by videos when I say what it looks like to me, there are many pCars \ AC split screen comparisons and pretty much I see a better sense of speed in the former most of the time but that has to be qualified by the fact that SMS have had a lot longer to improve that in comparison to Kuono. But again I reiterate they are only videos and they are only as good as the rendering process used. For me AC still appears a bit 'cartoony', almost a bit retro in some respects but the handling does look excellent so at the end of the day that will override any graphical blemishes. When it comes down to it all the 1080 \ 60fps malarkey is just candy, the meat is what lies underneath.

Console racers are probably no more fickle than those on the PC but the big difference is that on PC the modding community very often makes up for any games shortcomings so a game\sim will always have greater longevity on that format due to the fact that as console users we are tied in to what the developers produce..at least in terms of cars, tracks and overall improvements ,etc. The UDP option has of course opened up external programs to us but we don't know yet whether that will also follow with AC.

Am I looking forward to it... too right I am :) But i'll not jump on the bandwagon until I have played it myself and am confident it does what it says on the tin. I'll certainly look forward in anticipation though. Biggest wish for me would be that the cross platform play would come to reality soon so that we could join in some of those races that are put together in the AC Club Races and Leagues page as it seems that will be the only way to get good sized grids for us.. well here on RD at least.

Let's take a deep breath, keep our fingers and toes crossed and hope :thumbsup:

By the way, have you been on the AC forums yet? They fixed that whole Steam requirement and we have our own area on the forums now.

13. Rob

Rob

Well, if your take is "I don't have an opinion so let's all just relax" -- well, that's no fun. lol. You are like Switzerland. zzzzzzz. C'mon man. Fight. lol.

Well, of course I agree with "we won't know till we know" but if you had $1000 and had to bet one way or another, why buy Assetto over DiRT. Because if you want me to be negative, then just start talking DiRT. I'd put that sucker up against any game now or coming down the pike. And, yes, I've played it.

Oh, and I'll never be a basher of pCARS other than tough love. If Assetto or F1 is great, it will be because they stood on the shoulders of giants. Even DiRT, as incredible as it is, even giving it the win with physics and immersion, and looks (1080p/60fps solid as a rock), there is still no UDP (which is sort of irrelevant since you have a spotter riding with you and telemetry is useless. All gut baby.

While I agree with you regarding open wheel being advantaged, what I see in Assetto is not slow. Neither is pCARs if you talk open wheel, but the GT cars, esp. that lame ass Corvette, is slow to me. Can't really explain, as the other GT cars, esp. the Ruf, were okay. And 1080p/60fps is not a pipe dream. It's reality. Go to Birmingham and you will find it. Bodes well for F1, IMO.

Forums? Someone needs to ask the pertinents.

14. mcnasty1

mcnasty1
    mcnasty0421

Im thinking the frame rate being liwer on p.cars might have sonething to do with the extra stuff others dont have.such as weather..I too have a love hate relationship with p.cars but still think its a top notch game when working hope it gives a platfoem to build on in the future.hope to get dirt and asseto soon only then can I compare ..looking at reviews of both look promising thou

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Rob

Rob

Assetto delayed again. Aug 26 for Europe, Aug 30 for U.S. Looks like they are taking a page out of the SMS playbook. :O_o::poop::thumbsdown::sleep:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Beat me to it Rob, why am I not surprised :rolleyes::poop::sleep:. These people just annoy the sh!t out of me with these constant release promises that they never keep to. That's one hell of a delay!! They've obviously hit some serious issues.... well at least that now means I can probably pick up Dirt I suppose. I'm giving up on AC until they actually get it on the shelves!!

17. Rob

Rob

I can't say I blame you Peter. I'm gong to put it out of my mind too. And although pCARS came out okay eventually, we can probably point to their delays as a symptom of an unfinished product. I am much less optimistic right now :( about the overall product, especially multi-player.

The good news is, we have a great game (DiRT) and yet another great game (Project Cars) to tie both ends of racing up (Rally and Circuit). What is hard to understand is how Codemasters, as a 3rd party, nailed both handling and graphics whereas the others have massive difficulties. I guess they too saved on weather and content, although their track maps are stunning.

I guess this all points to what SMS did as pretty remarkable, one year out. And Forza just marches on. :O_o:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Actually I was only thinking to myself on my way home from work that its amazing to think that pCars was released one year ago already :confused:. How time flies when you're having fun lol :D.

Oh well I guess we can now start wondering when F1 2016 will be out and what to expect from it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Rob

Rob

True. That's the silver lining. Remains to be seen whether Codemasters can reform, debug, and connect real telemetry to F1 2016. If they pull off a DiRT version of F1, there will be a big surge there too.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rob

Rob