Assetto Corsa Ferrari 488 GT3 'Red Pack' preview

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
AC Ferrari 488 GT3 2.jpg

Assetto Corsa developers Kunos Simulazioni have finally revealed the penultimate piece of content due to be released for the game as part of Thursday's upcoming 'Red Pack' DLC update.

With the GT2/3's already proving to be one of the more popular, and densely populated, classes within the game it was perhaps inevitable that Kunos would look to add another new generation model from of one of GT racing's most vibrant racing classes, this time bringing the beautiful Ferrari 488 GT3 to the sim. Replacement for the aging 458 Italia, the new 488 packs a twin-turbocharged 3.9-liter V8 with a lighter more rigid frame than its road going counterpart the 488 GTB. Run by a wide variety of GT3 teams across the world, the 488 is one of Ferrari's most spectacular closed top GT cars of recent times and sure to become an instant classic with the Tifosi faithful.

The Red Pack DLC is due for release on the Steam platform for PC players of Assetto Corsa, and will become available to purchase for PS4 and Xbox One players post console release.

Check out the Assetto Corsa sub forum for more news items right here at RaceDepartment. We have a number of thread topics to engage with your fellow community members, we host a high volume of mods and addons as well as our new Modding Discussion forum, a place where modders can discuss the many aspects involved in creating cars, tracks and skins for Assetto Corsa.

With our new Mazda MX-5 Cup league starting this Sunday, why not head over to our Assetto Corsa Racing Club forum to check out our regular club racing events and leagues? Our club races are designed for drivers of all skills and experience using a wide variety of content available for the sim. Head on over and take a look!

AC Ferrari 488 GT3 3.jpg AC Ferrari 488 GT3 4.jpg AC Ferrari 488 GT3 5.jpg AC Ferrari 488 GT3 6.jpg AC Ferrari 488 GT3 7.jpg AC Ferrari 488 GT3 8.jpg AC Ferrari 488 GT3.jpg

Another one bites the dust.. like what you see from the latest Red Pack reveal? Looking forward to the new Ferrari? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I really don't understand the hype of many people about the 488 GT3 version. GT3 class is a homogenization of all kinds of elements like tyre dimension, weight, aerodynamics etc. These cars feel much more similar to other GT3 cars than to the streetcar counterpart. So almost won't have any of the typical characteristics of the original car.
For me absolutely boring - if you have driven 4- 5 different GT3 Class cars you know the rest.
While I think each car has it's own character and is different despite competing in a narrow performance window, having more and more cars is a great thing. When watching Blancpain races it's awesome seeing so many different cars fighting, often there are 6 different cars in the top six. Now imagine your favourite GT3 car is the Nismo (which is mine). Would I care racing it against a field of Nismos and a few R8s? Hell no! That's what's beautiful in GT3. Diversity :)

While I think each car has it's own character and is different despite competing in a narrow performance window, having more and more cars is a great thing. When watching Blancpain races it's awesome seeing so many different cars fighting, often there are 6 different cars in the top six. Now imagine your favourite GT3 car is the Nismo (which is mine). Would I care racing it against a field of Nismos and a few R8s? Hell no! That's what's beautiful in GT3. Diversity :)
I get the point to have a levelled field for online racing. But as the diversity in AC in terms of driving charateristics is so different and unique for every car, it is also fun just to learn to drive the individual cars at their limits. Therefore I really hoped to have a 488GTB street version in the game (or also much more street cars that are fun on a race track such as Mustang GT350, M135i or regular 911s or Cayman GT4, the latter ones hopefully coming with the Porsche Packs!). I also think that characteristics of street cars are one of the best in AC, e.g. compared to Project Cars.
To have a standardized field of different street cars Kunos could also offer a setting that puts similar cars on the same level by reducing/raising power and/or weight to match to other cars. Or by introducing a Score-System like in Forza with some limited possibilities to tweak the car to get it into a certain class.
Sorry, I am just tired of racing GT3 all the time ;-)

I know some frown at payware mods but the United Racing Design PX mod is really not a bad alternative when it comes to looking for something other than GT3... The LMP1 and 2 cars are awesome although it is still in Beta. The T5(DTM) 2013 and 2015 mods may also fit the bill quite nicely. :)

Really enjoying their stuff at the moment. If you haven't looked at their stuff yet, have a look their site.

http://www.unitedracingdesign.net/

I get the point to have a levelled field for online racing. But as the diversity in AC in terms of driving charateristics is so different and unique for every car, it is also fun just to learn to drive the individual cars at their limits. Therefore I really hoped to have a 488GTB street version in the game (or also much more street cars that are fun on a race track such as Mustang GT350, M135i or regular 911s or Cayman GT4, the latter ones hopefully coming with the Porsche Packs!). I also think that characteristics of street cars are one of the best in AC, e.g. compared to Project Cars.
To have a standardized field of different street cars Kunos could also offer a setting that puts similar cars on the same level by reducing/raising power and/or weight to match to other cars. Or by introducing a Score-System like in Forza with some limited possibilities to tweak the car to get it into a certain class.
Oh I understand, GT3 is in every sim today. Some people are tired of it, some just can't get enough. And Kunos has to satisfy everyone. Good news for you we are getting the street version with the console release in August. Looking forward to it myself as well :)

How can we have to many when we're stilling a full GT3 grid? I rather see a complete series don't you?
Nope, i actually like simracing on a single make basis.

If i wanted a complete series i would go for Raceroom really, if a complete series is what matters to you it makes more sense to buy an actual series than to buy cars piecemeal(specially given how quickly they become outdated).

I really don't understand the hype of many people about the 488 GT3 version. GT3 class is a homogenization of all kinds of elements like tyre dimension, weight, aerodynamics etc. These cars feel much more similar to other GT3 cars than to the streetcar counterpart. So almost won't have any of the typical characteristics of the original car.
For me absolutely boring - if you have driven 4- 5 different GT3 Class cars you know the rest.
hmm...I wonder why series race hardcore racecars instead of road cars...oh yeah, because they're less booring and way faster.

Nope, i actually like simracing on a single make basis.

If i wanted a complete series i would go for Raceroom really, if a complete series is what matters to you it makes more sense to buy an actual series than to buy cars piecemeal(specially given how quickly they become outdated).

I'm actually with you on the single-make racing, to a point. I also like a mixed-make grid, and the reason I haven't been happy with Raceroom or PC is the lack of a Ferrari. To me, it's not a complete series without them.

I respectfully disagree. To me, each of the GT3 cars has its own strengths and weaknesses. Yes, there are specs to be met, but a Huracan drives very differently from a 650S which is different from an R8. If the cars were as homogenized as you suggest, there'd be no need for Balance of Performance modifications. I enjoy the GT3 class very much, specifically because they're close in overall performance, but with horsepower and handling differences that offer a good challenge when defending or setting up a pass.

Since about 20 Min. ago the Red Pack DLC is listed in Steam, but not yet available for purchase, at least in Germany.
It says since then "available in about less than an hour", so maybe another 30 minutes. At least that is what I hope for.

At least here are the cars of the Red Pack:
Ferrari SF-15T
Ferrari F138
Ferrari 488 GT3
Maserati 250F 6C
Maserati 250F T2 12C
Maserati GranTurismo MC GT4
Lamborghini Aventador SuperVeloce

From Aris "How to enjoy the RedPack!"

Hello chaps!

So the RedPack is almost here and it has some amazing cars that couldn't be more different from one another. So here's some advice to help you get the most out of it.

First of all, let's assume you want to drive all the cars one after another. The order which you will try the cars is very important and it might make your experience amazing or miserable... take this piece of advice.

Do not, let me repeat that, DO NOT try any other car and especially the old Maserati's 250F, AFTER you have tried the modern Ferrari's F138 and SF15-T. If you intend to jump on those cars right away, take your time, have fun... then try the other cars later and most importantly give your brain plenty of time to readjusts to the speed sensation, braking points and grip levels...

The F138 and SF15-T are simply alien. There's nothing to compare with in AC. When I was doing the development of the cars, in the first week I would often stop AC, go find an onboard real video on YouTube and double check the speeds, simply because they would seem unreal to me... and every time I was slower than real life. They are THAT fast!

So it's perfectly normal that when you step off a car that does 330kmh and brakes at 100meters for a 2nd gear turn, and hop into a Maserati 250F from 1954 that does 250kmh and needs to brake at... 1km away from the turn ( :p )... well you can understand that some kind of practice is needed to enjoy the slower cars again.

Other things.
Power Unit. The SF15-T has the modern power unit. We simulate MGU-K, MGU-H, Batteries, energy deployment and recovery limits, engine braking, active rear braking torque and more. All of it has various key combinations to activate various values and profiles. Use CTRL+1,2,3,4 to activate the various values and profiles and you'll see also explanations on the top of the screen and we also have a dedicated app named: "ERS MANAGEMENT"
All of it will be explained in a dedicated post later today.

We have brake temps, but only for a couple of cars. As usual, for such important new features we do a step by step approach. We think the brake temps work pretty good, but we need to also implement air ducts and possibly different pads, before we can do some more hardcore brake fade effects. As usual, in the following months we will improve the new feature and update all the cars. Thank you for your patience.

Tyre model V10. What is it? Why V10 and not V8?
We have rewritten the whole tyre model. The driving feeling will be very similar to v7 with small and subtle differences especially on combining forces. Why V10 and why the rewrite? The new tyre model permits us to have more precision on the output values and create better graphs that we can compare in a much more efficient and precise way with real data, enabling us to improve the tyre model even more. So the V10 name is because of the total rewrite. In terms of values for the modders, there are a couple of new values and some considerations to be done on older values, but nothing too radical.
Only most of the RedPack cars have the v10, but as usual we are going to update all cars in the following months.

Ok so... I think that's all for now... Thank you for the support and for the always useful feedback that help us provide fixes and improvements in the following days of a new release.

Have fun!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years