Assetto Corsa: Ferrari 458 GT2 Gameplay Video

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
Bram Hengeveld submitted a new blog post:

Assetto Corsa: Ferrari 458 GT2 Gameplay Video

[youtube]

Kunos Simulazione just released a new video from their already infamous iPad recorded developer videos series. This time featuring the Ferrari 458 GT2 racing around Autodromo di Monza.

The GT2 is driven in game at 12:00 o'clock in the afternoon without the use of any driving assists and the steering input comes from a Fanatec ClubSport Wheel.

The following hardware configuration was used while recording the session with an iPad:

Last edited:
Twitter said:
@D_Schollmayer 16h
Aristotelis Can I ask you a question? Isn't the downshifting way too rapid bc of too late breaking? Would this drivingstyle damage the car?

Aristotelis 16h
@D_Schollmayer compare the real thing. Rev limiter at 8300, but power ends at 7000. You upshift 7000, downshift 8000

Aristotelis 16h
@D_Schollmayer also, because of rules, GT2 has lower top speed and better grip much more prototype like. GT3 higher top speed, less grip

@D_Schollmayer 16h
Aristotelis I guess i'm just struggling with the extra grip that allows the gte to break so much later than the gt3. Thanks for the respons

Aristotelis 15h
@D_Schollmayer consider very low fuel, soft tyres, not taking care of tyres. In RL you have full fuel 130l medium or hard tyres at Monza etc

Well, I'm not a proper simracer, I'm more interested in road cars but I see that most of you here are quite happy with this video (in terms of comparision to reality)?

Because I was just looking at virtualR and people there are crying so much about the braking - that no GT2/3 car could brake like that etc. bla, bla, bla...

Ok, I tried to do some research. Found the Ferrari 458 GTC, and checked all the races that it took part in. There is no single time below 1.48 for this car (and by the looks of 458 AC lap, this looks like it could do 1.46 easily without mistakes).
But maybe I suck at searching:/

Are you sure bro, that GTC and GTE have the same specification? And how about fuel and tires?

Btw. - how much difference in laptimes could be at monza between the same car with hard tires and fuel and soft tires and no fuel?

Well to be honest something about this video looks off to me too. Braking does seem very powerful but the way the car turned into corners, especially T1 is what caught me, just didn't look natural at all.

edit: sorry redundant, didnt see Dennis P. s quote

asked aristotelis pretty much the same on twitter yesterday

gecko@D_Schollmayer 16h
@Aristotelis Can I ask you a question? Isn't the downshifting way too rapid bc of too late breaking? Would this drivingstyle damage the car?

@D_Schollmayer compare the real thing. Rev limiter at 8300, but power ends at 7000. You upshift 7000, downshift 8000 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvxndrm-TSc …

gecko@D_Schollmayer 16h
@Aristotelis yeah, I've been looking at excactly this vid for reference. Also the revs on the sim's display seem fine...
gecko@D_Schollmayer 16h
@Aristotelis I guess i'm just struggling with the extra grip that allows the gte to break so much later than the gt3. Thanks for the respons

AristotelisVasilakos@Aristotelis 16h
@D_Schollmayer consider very low fuel, soft tyres, not taking care of tyres. In RL you have full fuel 130l medium or hard tyres at Monza etc

well, i did some research too! here is what i found out: last year gianmaria bruni and federico leo competed in and won the gt open in af corse's 458 italia gt2! in the race at monza they did a fastes laptime of 1:48.581! now, considering this was a fastest lap in a race and aris confirmed that the lap in AC was quali setup with low fuel and soft tyres, i think everyone should be okay now :)

There's no GTE in that database. But according to that article http://www.supercars.net/cars/5151.html, GTC can compete in GT2 class. So i figure that GTE, GTC and GT2 are the same spec, could be wrong though.

GTC as a class usually refers to the cup-Porsches that race in ALMS. I dont know of a particular f458 that's called gtc so maybe some people just like to call the gte/gt2 spec car that way.

Here are the race results from last years opengt race #2
http://www.motorsport-xl.de/documen...T3Blbi9Nb256YV9JVF8vNDAxNS1ndG9fcjIucGRm.html

As you can see the AF-Corse 458 gt did a 1:48.5 in the race. I believe race 2 was the only one in dry conditions because all other results are WAY off compared to race #2.

Edit: ninja'd :D
Edit2: checked youtube, last years qual and race #1 were wet, indeed.

AC looks comparable. end of discussion.i have to admit, even i was surprised at the 'looseness' of the steering movement in AC....but then you watch ALL of the videos on youtube of the same car, and its very comparable.

its as if its got super light F1 style power steering.
needless to say, the AC video looks nothing like the other sims to drive - and that is a very good thing indeed. (i.e. controllable driveable car on the limit, a car which will react like its got rubber tyres gripping on a road)

I think allot of people making direct comparisons with real life videos in terms of evaluating how the car visually "feels" have to also remember that the game has the camera set to "lock to horizon" this gives the appearance of the car being very light.

Boot up AC TD and try un-ticking lock camera to horizon and see the difference it makes.

Unfortunately due to screens and nature of being sat still when simracing not locking the camera to the horizon can make people motion sick.

Another issue with having the camera not locked to horizon is that when the image is played through a computer screen there is no opportunity for your eyes and brain to filter the vibrations out as they would in the real world.

Its really interesting how the eyes and brain work to resolve images in the real world, its very complex and quite counter intuitive I'd certainly recommend reading about how the eye and brain work for resolving imagery.

Its also quite remarkable that for the most part lock to horizon in driving simulators and having a car body move around you is quite believable given how its quite abstract from what happens in the real world.

If kunos give good control of the camera in there app it should be possible to set values to allow for a degree of lock to horizon along with some body movements , HMD like oculus rift will also prove interesting with these sorts of details as they will become far more noticeable / relevant to the experience.

Also I'm not sure how people are making such broad statements about the physics from a single video , sure if there is a massive inconsistency with the physics you can normally clearly see that but its going to be very hard to fully evaluate grip levels from a single on-board camera.

I'm not sure why every single kunos product would be incredible including the ACTD and then all of a sudden they would throw physics out the window as some are claiming , though you never know until you actually play the thing.

Are you sure bro, that GTC and GTE have the same specification? And how about fuel and tires?

Btw. - how much difference in laptimes could be at monza between the same car with hard tires and fuel and soft tires and no fuel?
Depends how "bad" the hard tire compound is, so it's hard to say. Also the more aggressive set-up you using on grippier tires, the worse it will be. Compare qualifying to fastest race lap in some racing series. On a high speed track like Monza braking could be the most obvious where you can gain time, as there are not many medium corners?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back